CM’s entering resort rooms with and without RO sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid it is not that simple - as guests do have certain rights under common law that a very vague "contract" cannot just erase and allow Disney to literally do whatever it wants. Eventually these issues either get addressed in courtrooms or by Disney tweaking policy which they do all the time. I don't understand why anyone would think Disney never changes policy to work with guests. They do all the time. For legal and/or PR reasons.

I really would like to be a fly in the wall for their contract lawyers.

Courts decide all the time whether to enforce a contract or not - that is to protect people from unfairness in the bargaining process or the contract itself.
The bargaining process would have to happen before the contract is accepted. By staying at the hotel you agree to the terms of the contract. This would indicate you are ok with those terms and policies.

Not even the Las Vegas hotels are doing this. This is something different. I think we are at a point where we can move past the excuse that this has anything to do with Las Vegas. They are not doing this to protect us .... because if they were ... so many here wouldn't be so uncomfortable and feeling unsafe with the intrusions.

Again, folks on this post are looking for some understanding of what they can do to make their trips less stressful, less intrusive, more secure. They are not looking to keep being told that this is normal, that they have no rights. This is not industry standard, it's only at Disney to the point other hotels are telling guests they won't do the Disney thing. Let the folks who are concerned discuss.

THIS. Why is Disney the ONLY hotel chain doing this?

I'm afraid it is not that simple - as guests do have certain rights under common law that a very vague "contract" cannot just erase and allow Disney to literally do whatever it wants. Eventually these issues either get addressed in courtrooms or by Disney tweaking policy which they do all the time. I don't understand why anyone would think Disney never changes policy to work with guests. They do all the time. For legal and/or PR reasons.

Disney's answer to that will be a very politely worded version of "there are lots of other hotels in Orlando."

That's what I'm not understanding about the continued rehashing of this topic with such a high level of anger and even fear. When the news of the parking fees came out, there was discussion, there was debate, there was anger, there were questions. Within a couple of weeks, posters sorted themselves into two camps: the ones who didn't want to pay the fee and announced that they were going to stay elsewhere from now on, and the ones who didn't like it but still felt it was worth it to stay onsite. And the discussion pretty much ended there, except for the occasional question. That's the usual progression here on the boards when Disney makes a policy change that's unpopular. That's kind of how it went on the DVC boards when news of the room checks first came out, and DVC owners have a whole lot more skin in the game than a hotel guest.

The tenor of a lot of these posts is anger that Disney is forcing this on guests, and there's no way to avoid it. Of course it can be avoided. There are over three hundred hotels in the Orlando area. No one is forced to stay at a Disney resort. If the room check policy angers you, upsets you, frightens you, or just takes the fun out of your vacation, you're free to make a different hotel choice. And you should - vacations are supposed to be fun and relaxing. If a hotel's doing something that makes your vacation not-fun or not-relaxing, pick a different hotel with policies that work for you.

I know that if a hotel I'd booked started a policy that made me worried for my safety, I'd have that reservation cancelled and a different hotel booked by the end of the day.

Disney's answer to that will be a very politely worded version of "there are lots of other hotels in Orlando."

That's what I'm not understanding about the continued rehashing of this topic with such a high level of anger and even fear. When the news of the parking fees came out, there was discussion, there was debate, there was anger, there were questions. Within a couple of weeks, posters sorted themselves into two camps: the ones who didn't want to pay the fee and announced that they were going to stay elsewhere from now on, and the ones who didn't like it but still felt it was worth it to stay onsite. And the discussion pretty much ended there, except for the occasional question. That's the usual progression here on the boards when Disney makes a policy change that's unpopular. That's kind of how it went on the DVC boards when news of the room checks first came out, and DVC owners have a whole lot more skin in the game than a hotel guest.

The tenor of a lot of these posts is anger that Disney is forcing this on guests, and there's no way to avoid it. Of course it can be avoided. There are over three hundred hotels in the Orlando area. No one is forced to stay at a Disney resort. If the room check policy angers you, upsets you, frightens you, or just takes the fun out of your vacation, you're free to make a different hotel choice. And you should - vacations are supposed to be fun and relaxing. If a hotel's doing something that makes your vacation not-fun or not-relaxing, pick a different hotel with policies that work for you.

I know that if a hotel I'd booked started a policy that made me worried for my safety, I'd have that reservation cancelled and a different hotel booked by the end of the day.
This exactly, every single time this subject comes up it devolves into a legal debate. There is no debate. Nobody has posted that they didn't like the policy and sued Disney. The policy has been in place for about 8 months now, does not look to be changing anytime soon.

Your options are stay at Disney and accept it or choose another resort.

It would be great if it would stay on topic so people could discuss experiences but every single time someone brings up that they are uncomfortable with what could happen and how their rights are being violated and then a legal argument. Then the thread gets locked.

I really would like to be a fly in the wall for their contract lawyers.
For all we know, disney execs aren't even listening to their in-house legal team. God knows it happens all the time.

Parking fees are industry standard. This policy is entirely unique to Disney. It's also both new and nebulous. I see no reason why Disney would be unwilling to ever work with guests on this. They have done so in the past.

This thread is not for ranting and complaints. We are discussing and working for change. And it's bewildering that we are being told that we have no right to work for change. Instead we've been mocked, belittled, interrupted, and scolded over and over again for even speaking on the subject.

If we have no impact, then we have no impact. I think we have the right to try to make our vacations the best they can be, just like everyone else. We love Disney too, or we wouldn't care.

So back to my letter:

Perhaps we might get somewhere by giving concrete examples of our personal concerns. For me, I simply cannot allow my teen daughters to open the door to strange men when they are in the room alone. I would like Disney to guide me as to what we can do about this. If they refuse to provide clarification about the expectations of guests, then they are kind of making it difficult for guests to follow the rules.

This thread is not for ranting and complaints. We are discussing and working for change. And it's bewildering that we are being told that we have no right to work for change. Instead we've been mocked, belittled, interrupted, and scolded over and over again for even speaking on the subject.
??????:confused3

The "arguing" that goes on is from the same ones who are all upset that there is a thread about this.
The most recently closed thread was closed because people against the actions were arguing about arguing.
They are the only hotels I know that are doing this. Are they the only hotel with this specific problem?
They are the only and all hotels owned by Disney.
However, I think some people are not correct about the legal basis behind this policy. No law has been passed requiring Disney to do this.
Lynne said nothing about laws. She suggested legal department, insurers, etc.
It is not only reasonable but imperative as a society that we feel free to question having basic privacy removed without a cogent explanation.
it's equally reasonable that, as a private business rather than the government, to decline to respond to the satisfaction of every single person.

Now understand for the ones who don't know how dvc works you get
a free trash/towel service on the 4th night of your stay so to have a knock at your door every day other than the expected 4th day is not the norm. F
It Now is the norm, i.e. actual, official policy and practice.
2) They officially will not agree to respect medical, cultural, religious, or any other request for accommodation unless an individual CM wants to grant it as some sort of favor. This likely puts Disney on the receiving end of a discrimination lawsuit, because companies cannot leave it up to individual employees to discriminate at will against protected groups.
I don't think there would be any grounds for a discrimination lawsuit. Nobody is being treated differently from anybody else based on race, gender, disability... Every guest is subject to, and effectively agrees to, a daily room check.
Right. Unfortunately, those who bring their pups are the only ones they are allowing to schedule a time.
More probably for the protection of the Cast Members.

I don't know if this is slightly off topic, but what is Disney 's expectation of the CM in these searches? Say the CM opens the door and see someone armed and pointing a weapon at them. what's the CM supposed to do? Die loudly to draw police attention?

For all we know, disney execs aren't even listening to their in-house legal team. God knows it happens all the time.

Parking fees are industry standard. This policy is entirely unique to Disney. It's also both new and nebulous. I see no reason why Disney would be unwilling to ever work with guests on this. They have done so in the past.

If we have no impact, then we have no impact. I think we have the right to try to make our vacations the best they can be, just like everyone else. We love Disney too, or we wouldn't care.

So back to my letter:

Perhaps we might get somewhere by giving concrete examples of our personal concerns. For me, I simply cannot allow my teen daughters to open the door to strange men when they are in the room alone. I would like Disney to guide me as to what we can do about this. If they refuse to provide clarification about the expectations of guests, then they are kind of making it difficult for guests to follow the rules.

Look, we get it...I don't like this policy, but I love Disney more than I dislike this (and many other policies they've implemented lately). So I will adjust my expectations to accommodate the policy.

While your "letter" may make you feel better to write and send, the REALITY is that Disney WILL. NOT. CHANGE. THIS. POLICY unless it starts to affect their bottom line. So your letter will do nothing but make you angry/disappointed when you inevitably get their carefully worded PR response that either does nothing to actually address answers to your questions or gives you the "it is what it is" answer. If you really want to make an impact, really want to attempt to change the policy, then you and everyone else who is outraged, angry, upset, annoyed, frightened, concerned etc about this policy need to take their money elsewhere. Why on earth would they change a policy for people who are angry about it but still spending thousands of dollars to stay there? They've got your money. Mission accomplished.

This is how you make meaningful change to a business. Disney isn't your local Congressman. Letter writing is meaningless. Hit them where it hurts. $$$ talks.

This is about money, nothing more. Disney is willing to upset and lose some guests to better their chances of winning future liability law suits should the Vegas incident happen at Disney.

:earsboy: Bill

What I don't understand is why the front desk doesn't mention this policy at all. If you don't do research on the subject and have no clue the policy changed you won't know until someone comes to the room. The front desk should have a sign like Universal does about checking on the room once a day. I think if they were more open about what they were doing people wouldn't be so upset when it happened.

Courts decide all the time whether to enforce a contract or not - that is to protect people from unfairness in the bargaining process or the contract itself.

Agreed. But under what theory could someone argue that this contract should be void? Fraud, duress, mutual mistake . . .? The policy is clear, so fraud is out. You can't say that I really had to have that onsite Disney vacation, so I was forced to accept their terns. The person accepting the contract may think the terms are negotiable later, but unilateral mistake is not generally a reason to void a contract.

What I don't understand is why the front desk doesn't mention this policy at all. If you don't do research on the subject and have no clue the policy changed you won't know until someone comes to the room. The front desk should have a sign like Universal does about checking on the room once a day. I think if they were more open about what they were doing people wouldn't be so upset when it happened.

The policy is clearly stated in the terms and conditions before you finish making your room reservation online. People agree to the terms and conditions by completing the transaction and are assumed to have read them. I have never booked a room over the phone, so I don't know how/if people are being informed of the policy. Maybe in an email confirmation? But I do agree, it would make it easier if they just had a sign at check-in. But then again, a lot of people skip the front desk and go straight to the room.

I don't know if this is slightly off topic, but what is Disney 's expectation of the CM in these searches? Say the CM opens the door and see someone armed and pointing a weapon at them. what's the CM supposed to do? Die loudly to draw police attention?

Hmm, frequent job fairs to fill positions and largish signing bonuses. Adds to their duties too. Doesn't sound from Dansdad's info above that they are too keen.

Look, we get it...I don't like this policy, but I love Disney more than I dislike this (and many other policies they've implemented lately). So I will adjust my expectations to accommodate the policy.

While your "letter" may make you feel better to write and send, the REALITY is that Disney WILL. NOT. CHANGE. THIS. POLICY unless it starts to affect their bottom line. So your letter will do nothing but make you angry/disappointed when you inevitably get their carefully worded PR response that either does nothing to actually address answers to your questions or gives you the "it is what it is" answer. If you really want to make an impact, really want to attempt to change the policy, then you and everyone else who is outraged, angry, upset, annoyed, frightened, concerned etc about this policy need to take their money elsewhere. Why on earth would they change a policy for people who are angry about it but still spending thousands of dollars to stay there? They've got your money. Mission accomplished.

This is how you make meaningful change to a business. Disney isn't your local Congressman. Letter writing is meaningless. Hit them where it hurts. $$$ talks.

I agree. We all have our line in the sand that we just refuse to cross. It is a personal line and may only make sense to the individual, however it is their line. So how do you take a stand? You just say no. No, I will not stay on property. No, I will not buy your park tickets. No, I will not spend my vacation dollars on your resort. No, I am not going to buy your brand new DVC package that ties the two of us together for the next 50 years. You say it, and you mean it, and you then follow through. Will your stand make a difference? I have no idea, however most companies will not change a policy that they have determined is beneficial unless they lose money. The remaining question is how many other people also have this line as their personal final straw and decide to spend their money elsewhere? It is more complicated than simply refusing to stay onsite. Disney just offers a discount and the folks who are not upset book for a lesser cost. There needs to be an impact across their board in terms of restaurants, shops and parks. I honestly do not see this happening.

Probably because the do not want to deal with it.

I'm sure the vast majority of people who book at Disney resorts don't know about the policy. The first time they hear about it is when they're at the resort, and by then it's too late to do anything about it.

Maybe what should happen is, someone should go onto the Disney Facebook page and post a "Did you know?" and state the room policy. Then people would see it and be educated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter