Cold weather dwellers...do you escape the cold in the winter?

Mexico for two weeks in Jan/Feb time frame. And, then usually California for a week or two as well.

When DH can retire (in 2.5 years, maybe?), we plan to take at least a couple of months of each winter and go to different places in Mexico, Southern Europe, and the like. (Obviously, I'm not "afraid" of Mexico....I LOVE it). I absolutely loathe everything about winter.

Even though we live in California and what is considered cold here is laughable to others we do try to escape to Florida each winter for the warmer temps. It has worked out nicely except for the first week in January 2018 in Orlando when it actually was freezing!! It was much warmer home in California that year.

Every chance I get! (and I don't live somewhere REALLY cold). I've got sensitive skin, and winter weather really does a number on it; I live with full-body itching for months, no matter how many gallons of lotion that I slather on.
Check the humidity of the air in your environment. More water in the air can cause less itching. Also check the composition of the lotions you use. Petroleum jelly based creams such as Eucerin are good.

DH and I usually take a winter vacation for a couple of weeks, either just to Florida or that and a cruise to the Caribbean. But, his crop insurance adjusting job has kept him so busy that last year he said maybe we should wait until March to take a vacation this year. So we are planning a bid-March Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge area vacation for this year. We are in Michigan so March will probably still be cold and snowy. We will just hibernate in January and February 🙂

Check the humidity of the air in your environment. More water in the air can cause less itching. Also check the composition of the lotions you use. Petroleum jelly based creams such as Eucerin are good.

50% in the house and office. I can't use petrochemical products on my skin (again, the sensitivity); so I buy pure cocoa butter by the case. Believe me, 30 years in this climate, and I've tried everything. My skin is so dry in winter that it frequently bleeds from clothes friction.

We live in Maine, and we are both teachers. Every year when Southwest posts its schedule for Feb-April, I think, "Oh, don't be silly, you'll be fine." Then the winter and spring vacations roll around and I say to myself, "What the heck were you thinking???" THIS year DH and I are going to Orlando over Christmas (12/21-12/27) and then I'll visit my sister in NOLA in March, during semester break. DH and I teach at different universities so we don't have the same spring break; otherwise, I"d drag him along and stay in the Quarter!

I have to say, the older I get (I'm 63), the harder the winters seem to be.

We live in Maine, and we are both teachers. Every year when Southwest posts its schedule for Feb-April, I think, "Oh, don't be silly, you'll be fine." Then the winter and spring vacations roll around and I say to myself, "What the heck were you thinking???" THIS year DH and I are going to Orlando over Christmas (12/21-12/27) and then I'll visit my sister in NOLA in March, during semester break. DH and I teach at different universities so we don't have the same spring break; otherwise, I"d drag him along and stay in the Quarter!

I have to say, the older I get (I'm 63), the harder the winters seem to be.
I moved out of New England years ago, and now live where it snows much less frequently... but I still bought myself a pair of snowshoes last year partly for nostalgia but partly because I miss having fun in the snow.
I’m dreaming of a White Christmas!

once we retire the hubs wants to 'snow bird' - me, I miss my bed, miss my house so not sure how it is going to work. I do love to do a long weekend the end of January and March. The whole time I get my ear beat about possible weather situations. Consequently we've been doing May for the last 2 years. :snooty:

We live in NH and the snow and cold don't really bother me. Course, by end of March, I am done!! Ha, ha!! Having said that, I have gone to Disney the last five February's to meet my brothers family. Mostly, I go solo, because I have a flexible work schedule and my husband doesn't. A few times mu oldest (26) has joined me. I don't usually stay at the same resort as my brothers family, but we get together everyday for a portion of the day.

This January, my family of four are going down for 12 nights. My youngest is on Winter break from college, so its a time that works.

When we retire, we do plan on spending Jan.-March in Florida.

When we moved from AZ to CO, one of the conditions was that I got to take a winter trip to visit my parents in FL (now just my Dad) to escape the cold. Normally, I leave the week after the Super Bowl for about 2 weeks. This winter, my trip is delayed a week because I snagged a $49 OW during Southwest's Cyber Monday sale.

We try to most years. It's not always all that much warmer (for instance we're going to Arizona in January) but at least it's away. A couple years ago we spent a week in Hawaii at that was perfect. Ireland was cold but when they freaked out about the snow in Dublin we had to laugh.

Yes! I have chronic joint pain which is worse in cold/ damp weather. The last few years we went to Florida in February. It helps more than you can imagine. We try to go for 2 weeks.

Use too. Kids can’t be pulled out of school now that they are older and school break is too busy and expensive.
We plan on being snowbirds in a decade when we retire.
We lived and worked in Colorado for 30 years and are now retired and snowbirding/fulltime rv'ing. It's great and has given us a much different Disney experience all around.

50% in the house and office. I can't use petrochemical products on my skin (again, the sensitivity); so I buy pure cocoa butter by the case. Believe me, 30 years in this climate, and I've tried everything. My skin is so dry in winter that it frequently bleeds from clothes friction.
:sad1: I understand. Right now both of the tips of my thumbs are cracked along the sides, as they are off-and-on practically from November to April. It’s a unique kind of torture.

The opposite is true here. People are seeking snow. Of course few know how to drive in such conditions.
I'm waiting for real snow myself. This is the first time I've had snow tires since I had to get rid of the truck in 2007. Had to put snow tires on everyone else's cars and could never afford for my car.

As for vacationing in the winter, no. Have kids, they are in school in the winter. Camping bicycle tours are the only vacation I can afford now anyways and the kids aren't interested in riding a bicycle for 600 miles. Actually, couldn't afford it anyways if it was more than just me.

I'm waiting for real snow myself. This is the first time I've had snow tires since I had to get rid of the truck in 2007. Had to put snow tires on everyone else's cars and could never afford for my car.

As for vacationing in the winter, no. Have kids, they are in school in the winter. Camping bicycle tours are the only vacation I can afford now anyways and the kids aren't interested in riding a bicycle for 600 miles. Actually, couldn't afford it anyways if it was more than just me.

Snow around here isn't unheard of, but it's typically a light dusting at higher elevations. Certainly not enough to go sledding or cross country skiing. If it hits lower elevations it's more a once in 30 year event.

I've actually seen snow tires around here. I figure they were for someone going skiing on weekends who didn't feel like taking them off. A lot of the newer winter tires are less squirmy on dry roads.

It's really not all that far to mountains with snow in California. I could drive 3 hours to ski resorts. From the outskirts of Los Angeles it's only 90 minutes to Big Bear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter