Cold weather dwellers...do you escape the cold in the winter?

Ten days ago we got 22" of snow in less than 24 hours (for comparison, our total for ALL of last winter was 50").

I would "escape" to AZ/NM tomorrow, if I could, but DH lives for this time of the year (sigh).

Someday!

Terri

We tried it once and decided it was too depressing to come back to the cold/snow/ice. Once I retire we plan to be snowbirds for Jan, Feb & March to get through the worst of it. We usually take our trips in the spring or fall.

Snow around here isn't unheard of, but it's typically a light dusting at higher elevations. Certainly not enough to go sledding or cross country skiing. If it hits lower elevations it's more a once in 30 year event.

I've actually seen snow tires around here. I figure they were for someone going skiing on weekends who didn't feel like taking them off. A lot of the newer winter tires are less squirmy on dry roads.

It's really not all that far to mountains with snow in California. I could drive 3 hours to ski resorts. From the outskirts of Los Angeles it's only 90 minutes to Big Bear.
We typically get just light dustings of snow as well. Then again, under 6 inches is what I consider a light dusting, LOL.

I was half an hour drive from work. I would get to work and everyone would be crying about the horrendous snow and I'd look around and wonder where it was at with only 3 inches. Then I'd show them a picture of the 14 inches I cleaned off my car that morning.

We typically get just light dustings of snow as well. Then again, under 6 inches is what I consider a light dusting, LOL.

I was half an hour drive from work. I would get to work and everyone would be crying about the horrendous snow and I'd look around and wonder where it was at with only 3 inches. Then I'd show them a picture of the 14 inches I cleaned off my car that morning.

Snow is not a foreign concept around here as a lot of people love to ski and do other winter activities. But we would need to get up to Lake Tahoe or Yosemite to do that. But if it ever happens here we all freak out about it.

A couple of years ago we were visiting relatives in the Seattle area and then it snowed on Christmas Eve. It was absolutely a white Christmas with at least 8 inches of snow, and our kids got to play in it, although I wasn't sure what it would be like on the road since we were going home that day. I was told that it could have been a near disaster if it were on a normal commute day and not around Christmas with most taking the week off.

We usually take a cruise to the southern Caribbean in January for a few weeks to get away from the snow and cold.
Denise

Was in the low 80’s yesterday. Now the low 20’s. It’s quite a shock to the system. Already can’t wait to go back.

We live just outside of Boston. We usually go away April vacation, but this year we are going February vacation. We are heading to Disneyland, which I know won't necessarily be super warm in Feb, but it definitely won't be as bad a Boston in Feb...and we will be at Disney, so it is all good! I can't wait.

Snow is not a foreign concept around here as a lot of people love to ski and do other winter activities. But we would need to get up to Lake Tahoe or Yosemite to do that. But if it ever happens here we all freak out about it.

A couple of years ago we were visiting relatives in the Seattle area and then it snowed on Christmas Eve. It was absolutely a white Christmas with at least 8 inches of snow, and our kids got to play in it, although I wasn't sure what it would be like on the road since we were going home that day. I was told that it could have been a near disaster if it were on a normal commute day and not around Christmas with most taking the week off.
:eek: I live in a hard-core winter climate and I have never in my life see so much snow as we saw when visiting Lake Tahoe (in April).

:eek: I live in a hard-core winter climate and I have never in my life see so much snow as we saw when visiting Lake Tahoe (in April).

It may not be that cold, but when it comes it can come down really hard. At least about now the early snow is this slushy stuff called “Sierra cement”.

I don't considering my dog is a cold weather dog and 80% of my time is spent outside with her just lounging around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter