College Care Package Ideas

lovesmurfs

DIS Veteran
So next week starts a new chapter in our lives: our youngest is going away to college (our first to go). I did a search and didn't find a thread specifically devoted to care package ideas, but I'd love to learn from those more experienced (and more creative) than I.

What care packages have you sent that your son/daughter really liked?

My mom sent me a box full of packing peanuts.

Everyone was getting care packages so I sent my mom an empty box with a note that said, "Please fill and return." So she did! :rotfl2:

Other than food and candy, send a letter from the family pet, Clorox wipes, Kleenex, Wet Ones or Baby Wipes, roll of quarters for laundry, laundry supplies, and small bottle of dish soap and one of those brushes that holds the soap.

Trust me! It probably doesn't matter WHAT is in the box- just that a box arrives!

Do you have a boy or a girl? These are things we did for our daughter.

Silly things were received well. For the holidays, go to the dollar spot at target. Green beads and green over sized plastic glasses for st Patrick's day etc. plastic bugs and creepy stuff for Halloween. Kid tattoos. Stuff to hang on the door. Penny candy - to share with friends.snacks. Dollar bills.

Another fun thing that was well received was mail from pretend famous people. Valentine cards from the latest heart throb etc. just print the picture from the internet, write something funny and mail.

Funny holiday underwear. Funny socks. Packet of cocoa or tea bags. Book of stamps. Water balloons. Wendys gift cert for a frosty ( a book of 20 - they had them for Halloween) ring pops. Suckers.

I went to the PO and got ten of the flat rate smaller boxes. I went home and addressed them all. Decorated them with sharpies on the outside. Put a sticky note on them FALL, WINTER, SPRING, HALLOWEEN, VALENTINES, etc as I found or thought of things, I put them in the box. Cut funny stories or jokes out of paper/ magazines. Printed pictures from her childhood ( Halloween costume for the Halloween box etc) bough a bag of tootsie roll pops. Put orange ones in Halloween box, red in valentine box etc.that gave me a head start on getting the boxes ready to mail.

One thing she commented on. Not everyone got care packages so when we sent small wrapped candy, it was easy to share. Homemade decorated holiday cookies were a hit. Toll house bars. Chex mix.

Last edited:

I mostly send food items. Their favorite snacks or candy, cup-a-soup or mac-n-cheese, small cereal boxes, granola bars, beef jerky, packs of hot chocolate and K-cups. Homemade cookies or brownies. Small holiday or seasonal decorations (sheets of window clings are easy and take up little space). A silly toy like a nerf gun or one of those paddles with a ball attached on an elastic string. Socks (can always use new ones). Gift cards for Dunkin Donuts, Subway or whatever food places or big box stores are near campus. Scratch-off lottery tickets (works if you're in the same state). Boys are harder than girls.

I thought of something else we did. Our daughter went to school out of state. We ordered a sheetcake to be delivered to her dorm for her bday with plates and forks.( ordered from the grocery store closest to her campus) you would've thought she won the lottery! When you have a cake that feeds 40..... you make friends fast!!

Not a care package mailed but....

When we moved our daughter into the dorm, I volunteered to make her bed. UNDER the fitted sheet, I put a $5 bill and a post it note that said CALL ME WHEN YOU FIND THIS.

Sure enough, about a week later, she called. I explained that I just wanted to know when she was washing her bedding for the first time.

Before we left campus, we left a sticky note in her car that said DRIVE SAFE! Miss you!

I can tell you what NOT to send. Victoria secret had a panty sale so I ordered her some and sent them to school. She got her mail on her way to eat. She opened the package in the food court and shared her surprise with her friends. She said to warn her next time.

I always send her beauty boxes when Target and Walmart have them and have Amazon prime and am always ordering things from there. Lots of books and food items.

I send boxes with her favorite foods, any snacks I think she might like and dollar store decor for whatever season (leaves/pumpkins, spiders, etc) for the fall/halloween. A small fake tree for x-mas with ornaments.

I also received email and mail from a company that delivered boxes for mid-terms, finals, birthdays, etc. to the college. I stupidly fell for the mail from them "Last year 100% of the students received a box from us". I was just excited and the price was reasonable. She actually liked the box and said it had a good assortment of items.

How funny you posted this today, as just this morning I was thinking about our niece starting college and that I should send her a care package in a month or so. I did them for our oldest granddaughter when she was in college and she always loved them. What I did for her was send her a questionnaire and had her fill it out and e-mail it back to me. I asked her what her favorite snacks were, favorite candy, favorite magazine, etc. That way I could fill a box with all the items I knew she would 100% enjoy! :)

I did include a few extra things, mainly little dollar store type items I thought she might like, and decor for her dorm room, a gas card, Dunkin' Donuts gift card, homemade chocolate chip cookies, etc. And one time we drove down to visit her, so delivered her care package in person so also gave her a case of bottled water.

I also bought several cute/funny "thinking of you" type cards and mailed one to her each week just so she would receive something in the mail every week.

I'll share an idea that might not work for everyone.

My daughter LOVES socks. They have to be interesting and they have to be crew length but besides that anything is good with her.

I just ordered several pairs - llamas, fox with socks on, and hedgehogs. I'm going to put little things inside each sock - money, gift card, candy, etc.

My mom would send me homemade baked goods and gift cards for places within walking distance of campus. Before I got a car she'd sometimes send me gas gift cards. That way I could offer up gas in exchange for friends taking me to run errands. I found that very helpful since the public transit wasn't very good and Uber didn't exist at the time. If your kid is into the holidays door and window decorations for holidays such as Christmas/Chanukkah, Halloween, or Valentine's Day are fun. My mom sent me Christmas lights once and I decorated my window with them. I liked them so much I left them up year round.

I have two boys in college now and have a routine. I send about 1 package/month or 1/ every 6 weeks, trying to tie it in with a holiday or season.

In September, I send a fall package with candy and local apple cider donuts from a nearby orchard. The kids miss the local treats for sure!

In October, I send Halloween lights, decor, candy.

Post thanksgiving/pre-finals, I send a study care package with snacks and a small Christmas tree and Christmas lights.

In late Jan/early Feb, I send a Valentine's box with candy and something like gloves or hot chocolate or hand warmers. One year a red shirt.

In March, they get a St Patrick's themed box, with green lights and a t-shirt or something.

And then last but not least, an end of the year finals box.

I usually put a card and money in every box or gift cards to restaurants that they like to eat or pizza place that they can order delivery. I have a lot of fun planning and sending the boxes. It gives me something to do and gives them something to look forward to. They especially like getting the small decorations that they can use in their dorms or small rooms to brighten things up.

That is something I've been requested to do with a nephew! I'm not sure what I'll send, other than money and possibly asiago bagels if they can ship.

When DD was going to school in England, there were only 2 things she wanted shipped to her.
1) Ranch Dressing
2) Kraft Macaroni and Cheese

When DD was away at school here in the U.S., nothing. If she wanted it, she could go to Target or Walmart to get it.

I don't recall DS getting any care packages, he just went to the store to get what he wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts