College Care Package Ideas

I have a junior who works for housing so still lives on campus. They say there is so much food and candy everywhere that they don't want more.

I think teh most popular box I sent was one of Halloween decorations that arrived early October frehsman year---lots of streamers and spider webs and various other decor. Apparently they and their roomates had a blast decoarting and ended up hosting a mini Halloween party. Much of the decor was saved adn resused last year.

I bought cards, Halloween, Christmas, funny ones, etc and tried to send one every couple of weeks. I would also put a gift card or a bit of extra cash in them. This year my daughter will be living off campus in an apartment with her boyfriend. Not sure how I'm going to handle the cards/gifts. Any ideas would be appreciated. I've already thought of grocery gift cards. My daughter is a plant based eater and there's not any places around for restaurant gift certificates.

I don't have children (yet) but I can tell you that I really enjoyed the socks my mama sent me all the time. Seasonal socks, funny socks, cute socks, animal socks and my all time favorite: fuzzy socks. I highly suggest the last pair because a.) they're great for winter time and b.) you can pull a Tom Cruise and slide along the floor better.

dogsliding5.gif

Also may I suggest the game Cards Against Humanity. Lots of shenanigans shall pursue and its a lot of fun with friends.

My daughter is going into her Junior year of college. For her Freshman year I sent her a care package almost once a month at the beginning of the month and tried to theme it to an upcoming holiday. The Target Dollar spot and Dollar Tree were a great source. I usually included themed gel clings in each package. For Halloween I included Halloween, Fall and Thanksgiving clings, pumpkin glitter garland, pumpkin socks, lighted foam pumpkin, candy corn lights, Happy Halloween garland, Russell Stovers marshmallow pumpkins, Halloween themed napkins, Reeses pumpkins. In December she got Snowman/snowflake clings, ugly socks Reindeer (came with craft items to decorate), Reindeer bun (turns your hair bun into a reindeer), EOS lip balm (a red one and placed on a reindeer card so the nose was the lipbalm), RS santas. My favorite one was March where I sent her Rainbows and sunshine...found items with rainbows, or yellow or sun themed...Gel Clings, rainbow chevron notepad, rainbow nerds, skittles, airheads, yellow striped straws, pocket Kleenex that had a sun on them, lemon EOS lip balm, yellow crayons, yellow balloons, a happy face squishy ball, solar powered dancing flower from dollar tree, sun post its and yellow play doh. The final package was a stress relief package before finals...stress ball that looked like Nemo with a note to Just Keep Swimming, Emergency Chocolate, stress relief pills (bubble wrap). I started shopping early, using clearance sales and just storing the items until needed. My son starts next week and I have nothing for him yet except a pair of Christmas boxers.

Anything! lol

And check the college website. We've been able to send a birthday cake and pizza & wings through the college.

These are great!!! Thanks so much for the fantastic ideas.

I know Pinterest has a lot of ideas and pictures, but I was looking for a little more "real world."

my mom sent me $50.00 a month (i had a ATM close to campus that I could access and deposit into) plus a $25.00 gift card for pizza hut so that i could order delievery to the dorm

My FAVORITE care package came 2 weeks before my birthday from my aunt who wrapped 1 gift per day until my birthday (they were all labeled with the date to be opened) things like gift cards, candy, movies, etc... smaller things that will go into a box well

Also, check pinterest - there are tons of ideas there - my oldest nephew is a senior this year os already thinking about the care packages that I will send him next year since i am the "cool aunt" (his words - even said that in front of his friends and gave me a hug)

My DD has been out of school for a year, and I miss doing the care packages.

An easy-peasy one is sending cookies from Cheryl's. They used to have a sampler pack of about 6 cookies, and it was about $10 including the shipping. There was a popcorn company that also had sampled packs(I can't think of the name).

Occasionally we would send a $5 bill. (In a security type of envelope, so you couldn't see through it), and we would write a note with a sharpie right on the bill.

Getting closer to the winter months, we sent her a pair of Green Bay packer mittens. Another year with the Winter Olympics, we sent her a pair of the Olympic mittens, that were popular from Canada's Olympics.

Every year, we sent her a pair of snoozies, with a paw print pattern from the dog. Snoozies are an inexpensive pair of slippers, for in the dorm, or subsequent house rentals.

Her freshman year, we sent her a Green Bay Packer sweatshirt in time to arrive before the first Bear-Packer game (she went to school in Illinois).

Her all time favorite thing to get was BBWCC: banana bread with chocolate chips. Homemade chocolate chip cookies were a hit as well.

At Halloween, we sent a sampling of every candy we gave out for trick or treat.

And, at Thanksigivng, send them back to campus with their favorite Christmas cookies. We also sent her with her Christmas stocking for St Nick's when she went back after Thanksgiving.

Occasionally, when DD would come home for a weekend, we would make homemade butter horns, and, she would take back about 50 to share with friends and coworkers.

If Garretts Popcorn would ever have a sale (like their anniversary) their popcorn would be discounted, this was also a great thing to get-the mix of caramel corn and cheese popcorn.

If you ever just want to send "silly" snail mail-do a google search for dog-shaming pictures.

And, if you ever feel like they haven't called/contacted you in a while, text them a picture of a family pet (if you have one). If we did this, our daughter would give us a one or two word text back. (At least we would know she was ok, and should not worry.)

Our daughter enjoyed coloring books, bubbles and sidewalk chalk, so those usually landed in her Easter box.

I loved when my mom sent me my favorite snacks, gift cards for places around campus, movies, and decorations for my dorm for whatever holiday was next. Oh, and coloring books!

I sent several care packages to DD last year, but one of her favorites was her Easter "basket." I took a flat-rate Priority box from the Post Office and lined it with colored Easter grass then filled it up. I sent window clings from Target with a Spring theme, a new reusable water bottle, a swimsuit, some candy. Her favorite thing, though, was a t-shirt with the word "home" on it, but the O was replaced with an outline of our state. (We live in PA, but she goes to school in MN.). It was a good conversation starter even toward the end of the year.

I tried to send her at least one thing a month. I also signed her up for free samples and the Target beauty boxes. Target had a beauty Advent calendar last year for 12 days. I sent her one at school and it was a nice countdown until she could come home for Christmas. Have fun! I'm already thinking of things to do for this year.

My DS just moved into his dorm today to start his Jr year. I almost always include restaurant gift cards. Subway is across from his dorm so I buy them in bulk from Sams. Of course, I send some of his favorites, like pistachios, trail mix, microwave soups and granola bars. I have also included playing cards (regular decks, uno and other games). His favorite is money though. Sometimes I include general toiletry items so he doesn't have to spend his money on them.

One Thing that my son and his friends really love is that a couple of times a semester (esp. during finals), I order and pay for pizza to be delivered to his dorm. I'll order from a better place than the cheap stuff they would order.

Speaking of advent calendars, we sent our DD a lego advent calendar one year:). DD loved that around exam time.

We also sent he little lego kits from time to time!

If your son or daughters like Girl Scout cookies, those are fun in a care package, although, they are expensive to mail.

DS got his first care package today! I sent it Monday after work by priority mail. Simple but pricey! Maybe there are other cheaper ways to go?

I got a lovely thank you text with lots of hearts :)

I included two t-shirts, licorice, can of pringles, homemade brownies, light up pen I got free from work, two spinners, his new drivers license and game informer magazine which came in the mail right after he left, a wallet his grandma had ordered for him and his uno cards and playing cards from home. I also included a $25 CVS gift card since there is a huge one right across the street from his dorm.

He seemed please with it and I enjoyed having something to focus on the first weekend after he left.

I've been sending DD a NatureBox every month for the past 3 years-- started when she was in college. She loves the healthier snacks and loves getting a package. It's auto delivery so I don't have to remember to do it. I also had set up her for cookie delivery every other month. In between I would send her random things- if I picked up something at the store for her that I knew she would like. I would send cards with gift cards to local restaurants- fast food and sit down chain-- so she and her friends could go out.

The family that DD babysat for in HS still sends her care packages too. They will do theme ones if there is a holiday or random themes-- like everything is yellow.

An easy-peasy one is sending cookies from Cheryl's. They used to have a sampler pack of about 6 cookies, and it was about $10 including the shipping.

My dd LOVES when I send Cheryls. I have sent the cookies, and on year I sent her one of their individual cakes for her birthday.

DS got his first care package today! I sent it Monday after work by priority mail. Simple but pricey! Maybe there are other cheaper ways to go?
I always used flat rate boxes. Same price no matter how much it weighs. Once we went to visit and I left the next box I had planned to mail with the roommate. She just waited 4-5 days and then left it on DD 's bed. Once I hid a box under DD's bed when we were there and the next day texted her to look under her bed.

My mom sent lots of packages when I was in school, but the thing I remember was this particular brand of flavored cocoa she always used to put in. Mom has been gone for years, but every once in a while, my old roommate or I will send the other a couple of packages for nostalgia's sake.

My brother's favorite used to be cookies. I found the chocolate chip "slice and bake" type traveled well in a coffee can!

Some of the things my nieces have liked have been:
Holiday decorations
Tiny gel pens
Games
Fuzzy socks
Coffee/pizza money
A plastic candy jar that I made paper inserts for with different holidays, and kept refilling

Some ideas I have for this year:
Bubbles (possibly with instructions to blow them out the dorm window)
Coloring book and good colored pencils
Local food gift cards
A little dry erase board for the door

If the school is in a location that gets lots of snow, send a snowman making kit, store-bought or homemade (hat, scarf, carrot, pieces of charcoal, etc.), and/or snow color spray.

DD bought most of what she wanted.....but she always asked for home made cookies and brownies. I was quite the baker then and she shared.
They all loved me.....got lots of hugs when visiting.....I think they wanted more ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter