College Care Package Ideas

Amazon Prime is the way to go if you just want to send a little something :)

Another thing to do-split up you care packages, and send stuff in small padded envelopes, the. They usually don't need to be sent priority, just first class, which will save some money!

Oh, and my DH just reminded me of our ultimate care package item: a pack of precooked bacon. (No worries about keeping it cold, we mailed it in winter. It was on sale, and didn't cost much to mail.

I always used flat rate boxes. Same price no matter how much it weighs. Once we went to visit and I left the next box I had planned to mail with the roommate. She just waited 4-5 days and then left it on DD 's bed. Once I hid a box under DD's bed when we were there and the next day texted her to look under her bed.
How much are the flat rate boxes and is it small medium or large?

I'm loving the ideas! As far as ordering pizza do you order and pay with credit card? If I was to give dd a pizza gift card can she use that to pay if its delivered? DD doesn't have a car.

DD's bday is around end of fall classes and finals so not sure if we will be able to see her. Dh and I thought about going to visit her and taking her out to dinner but depends on her finals and studying. I do like the idea of lil gifts each day until her bday.

How much are the flat rate boxes and is it small medium or large?

I'm loving the ideas! As far as ordering pizza do you order and pay with credit card? If I was to give dd a pizza gift card can she use that to pay if its delivered? DD doesn't have a car.

DD's bday is around end of fall classes and finals so not sure if we will be able to see her. Dh and I thought about going to visit her and taking her out to dinner but depends on her finals and studying. I do like the idea of lil gifts each day until her bday.

Priority mail flat rate boxes (boxes are free at the post office) are $6.95 small, $13.95 medium and $18.95 large. I used a large box. It is quick delivery with a tracking number. I just thought that was pricey, but I haven't mailed a package in a really long time.

Our DS will be gone for his birthday in October. Parents weekend is the following weekend, so I told him we would have cake and ice cream then. We have a hotel for that weekend that has a mini kitchen with a full-size fridge.

Just saw this on Pinterest and thought of this thread:

87448f68137a8c7a50a44dc205199a6a.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/35606653287515118/

If you click on the link, there are a bunch more below the first one as well - different colors and themes.

Is this a relatively new phenomenon? I never got a care package, nor do I recall any of my friends receiving care packages.

I love Amazon Prime. I use that to send stuff to my nieces. Pens, funky socks I found, I sent her favorite cheese and crackers once lol.

Way back when I was in college my mom rocked the care package thing. She would always write a small note. There's something about seeing your mom's handwriting that makes you feel better IMO. She would also clip local newspaper articles that she thought I'd like. Something homemade, usually cookies etc. then she'd send beefaroni etc, cup a soup, ramen, quarters for laundry, my favorite candy etc.

She'd also send random polaroids. "Here's a picture of your bed in case you missed it" lmao. Right before I came home for a break she sent me a picture of my bathroom with a toilet bowl brush and cleaner on the toilet. "Nobody's cleaned your bathroom since you've been gone and your brothers have been using it every day." On my birthday I opened my box to see a picture of the dinner I always ask for on my birthday and she wrote "it was delicious" on it.

Is this a relatively new phenomenon? I never got a care package, nor do I recall any of my friends receiving care packages.

Not at all. I graduated college in the early 90's. Most of my friends and I received care packages from home.

The sweetest / funniest was the one my friend got our first month at school. It was his 18th birthday, and his mom mailed him a homemade cake wrapped in foil. It was a mess but tasted great!

For people looking for cheaper shipping options price out Regional Rate boxes instead. Regional Rate A is roughly the size of a shoebox and ships I believe for between $6.60 - $10.66 ( I have commercial rates so not sure if it's the same) they have two larger sized Regional boxes as well, B and C. I don't use them though so not sure on the pricing but the boxes are fairly large. They arrive quick and also come with tracking like the flat rate boxes. Also check Fed Ex smart post if time is not an issue.

If there are other kids from your town going to college where your child attends, it's helpful to stay in touch with the parents. Send them an email a week before you plan to visit your child, offer to deliver something to their child. Then hopefully they can do the same for you.

No, I was in college almost 30 years ago and care packages were something that people had been doing for quite some time at that point.

I was in college then too and always felt left out when other people got care packages and I never did. It was easier to come up with care package ideas when my kids were in dorms, but now that they're in an apartment, they have a lot of stuff. I mostly send gift cards, candy, seasonal decorations, food from home that they can't get at college, etc.

Just sent my son a care package yesterday. Only 2nd week of school but I know he will think it is great. Sent him Giant container of Goldfish, Cheez Its, Swiss Rolls, Nutty Bars, Pop-Tarts and 10 Ft Long Charging Cable I got at our state fair and a gift card for Chipotle and Dominos (both by Campus). He should get the box today. It is easy for me to send things as we have UPS pick up everyday at my work.

My DD21 is a senior and I love sending packages as much as she loves receiving them.

Has anyone suggested Vodka yet. Pretty sure my daughter would like.

Actually today is her first day of classes so I sent her first package to arrive yesterday. It was monogrammed hand towels because I noticed that she could use some new ones when I helped her move into her new condo plus they were on clearance at Target, a bath bomb, and a personal size bottle of champagne. I included a note, "Cheers to Senior Year!"

I've done Ipsy bags and they were fun for a while but eventually the bags and things she wouldn't use became clutter. I keep a note in my phone and am always on the lookout for things she would enjoy.

I always suggest my favorite on these threads- mail a plastic pumpkin full of goodies for Halloween. No box- just tuck the handle in side and cover it with packing tape. She expects it now but Freshman year was great when she went to the PO and they handed her a pumpkin.

In the Spring, I will mail new flip flops. Again, no box just slap the labels on the shoes. I do cheap ones. In case they get battered in shipping.

I love packages so much it's become a bit of a hobby. Last year she reciprocated and sent DH and I a care package.

Last edited:
A packet of choccy biscuits. Sounds lame I know, but nothing breaks the ice with new flatmates like a biccy :)

I've been searching for this thread. Glad I finally found it again-lol! I bought my DD one of those pumpkin candy holders. I read on another thread someone send one to their child. I was wondering once I fill how should I cover the opening on top? How do I wrap it cellophane and tape or wrap really good with saran wrap and tape. need advice please. I'm hoping there no issues at the post office. Would love to hear about or see any Halloween care packages your all sending

I haven't done it myself but I've heard of it.

Take a two liter plastic bottle and fill it with whatever you can get inside. Pencils, a scarf, small candies etc. put the lid on tight and put an address label plus postage on it!

You can address a coconut and mail it.

I am sending my DD a halloween care package but I completely forgot about sending it in a plastic pumpkin!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter