College Program Advice

Gillian Ellis

Earning My Ears
Hi, I am currently a junior in college and I am seriously considering participating in the Disney College Fall 2018 program. However, I have a couple of issues. First of all, in order to participate in the DCP I would have to take a leave of absence from my school since they do not give credit for participating in the DCP. This would be fine but in order to graduate on time I would have to take classes at a different university. HOWEVER, my schools says that they do not transfer credits that I would take while on a leave of absence and they don't offer any online classes throughout the semester so that's not an option either (basically my school sucks lol).
Right now I think I have a few options: 1) Participate in the DCP and graduate late, which I don't really want to do because I really hate my school and don't want to be here any more than I need to be. 2) stick out my last year here and particiapte in DCP after graduation (I'm just terrified I won't get in). 3) Participate in the DCP and transfer to another school (which I've seriously considered, but it would probably set me back a few years also and I wouldn't graduate with my friends). Of course this is all contingent on if I actually get into the DCP (phone interview on Feb. 7th).
I would really appreciate any advice that anyone has or what they would do if they were in my situation.
Thank you so much!! :)

My daughter went through same thing-although she started ahead in college by taking college credit courses offered at her highs school, she was nearly 2 semesters ahead when she started as college freshman. She also took summer classes (10 credit hours) the summer before her fall DCP (she was fall 17). Her school initially wasn't going to give credit either, she fought for it and they granted it conditionally but....long story but she opted to just "drop out" for the semester. She de-enrolled so late though that the university didn't register her as dropping!
IF you think you can make up credits through summer school to graduate on time then go for it! My daughter took summer classes at local community college (much cheaper too) and they transferred to her out of state school.

Talk and plan with your advisor, see if there are summer classes that you can take to stay up with credits, and get a plan in place now. I will say fall DCP can get crazy busy in some roles with the Food and wine, halloween and christmas party season.
I have also done the program (waaaaaay back in the 1990's lol) and I will say having this on a resume has been a door opener-even though it ended up having NOTHING to do with my major/career. It really sets you apart.

GOOD LUCK!! If you have gotten through to phone interview it is a great sign.

I will give you the advice I would give to one of my children if they were in a similar situation (which is definitely possible as my DD9 spent about 1/2 hour talking to a CM about the CP). Graduating a semester late will not make a difference in the grand scheme of things. If your college will allow you to take leave for a semester to participate in this opportunity, then do it. If not, well, I wouldn't transfer if the credits won't transfer back unless the transfer is permanent. No matter what you decide, it sounds as if it is unlikely for you to graduate with your friends. You need to decide which is more important to you.

My daughter went through same thing-although she started ahead in college by taking college credit courses offered at her highs school, she was nearly 2 semesters ahead when she started as college freshman. She also took summer classes (10 credit hours) the summer before her fall DCP (she was fall 17). Her school initially wasn't going to give credit either, she fought for it and they granted it conditionally but....long story but she opted to just "drop out" for the semester. She de-enrolled so late though that the university didn't register her as dropping!
IF you think you can make up credits through summer school to graduate on time then go for it! My daughter took summer classes at local community college (much cheaper too) and they transferred to her out of state school.

Talk and plan with your advisor, see if there are summer classes that you can take to stay up with credits, and get a plan in place now. I will say fall DCP can get crazy busy in some roles with the Food and wine, halloween and christmas party season.
I have also done the program (waaaaaay back in the 1990's lol) and I will say having this on a resume has been a door opener-even though it ended up having NOTHING to do with my major/career. It really sets you apart.

GOOD LUCK!! If you have gotten through to phone interview it is a great sign.
So originally my plan was to just wait until after graduation to participate and I only really applied during this round in applications because I wanted to get practice and didn't want to risk not getting in on my only possible try. Do you think that if I get in this round, it would be really likely that I would get in when I apply for the fall 2019 program?? I'm just so terrified that I get in this round, decline the offer, and then when I apply again, I wouldn't get in. I would kick myself for the rest of my life if that happened.

So originally my plan was to just wait until after graduation to participate and I only really applied during this round in applications because I wanted to get practice and didn't want to risk not getting in on my only possible try. Do you think that if I get in this round, it would be really likely that I would get in when I apply for the fall 2019 program?? I'm just so terrified that I get in this round, decline the offer, and then when I apply again, I wouldn't get in. I would kick myself for the rest of my life if that happened.
Unfortunately there’s no guarantee that you’d make it even this far next time. The program fluxes and needs may be different. If you really think you’d regret not going, thenfind a way to make peace with being a semester behind. It sucks. I know. I did the program because I was so sick of school I was ready to quit. Instead I cane bacj, changed my major and was finally happy to graduate lol. Took me 5 years. It’s not end of world really if you take an extra semester :)

Unfortunately there’s no guarantee that you’d make it even this far next time. The program fluxes and needs may be different. If you really think you’d regret not going, thenfind a way to make peace with being a semester behind. It sucks. I know. I did the program because I was so sick of school I was ready to quit. Instead I cane bacj, changed my major and was finally happy to graduate lol. Took me 5 years. It’s not end of world really if you take an extra semester :)
I'm pretty much at that point too, I just really can't take school anymore and I think I'm loosing interest in my major. At this point I have a lot to think about, but I'm probably just going to have figure out a way to get over the fact that I won't graduate with my friends. Thank you so much for your advice!! It means a lot :)

I'm pretty much at that point too, I just really can't take school anymore and I think I'm loosing interest in my major. At this point I have a lot to think about, but I'm probably just going to have figure out a way to get over the fact that I won't graduate with my friends. Thank you so much for your advice!! It means a lot :)
My son was at a similar point in his college career, had decided he did not really have the interest in his major he thought he had. He did the college program and spent that time reassessing his goals, took a Disney Institute course on preparing yourself and after talking with lots of kids decided to change majors. He used the break to fill out the paperwork necessary and by the time he returned to school was fully in his new major, had spoken with his new advisor and set up classes for the next couple terms.

I realize the interview date of the OP has come and gone. Wondering what she decided?
My advice: One semester of college is insignificant in your life. The DCP is a unique, once in a lifetime opportunity. I am 53. I graduated college at 21. So what? That doesn't accelerate your career.
My son did the DCP in his junior year. Like most, that put him a semester behind his friends. So what? Many of them took an extra semester or year, too. Some are now in graduate school or looking for a job.
This is a unique time in your life. You should take the opportunity to do the DCP, if you can.

I realize the interview date of the OP has come and gone. Wondering what she decided?
My advice: One semester of college is insignificant in your life. The DCP is a unique, once in a lifetime opportunity. I am 53. I graduated college at 21. So what? That doesn't accelerate your career.
My son did the DCP in his junior year. Like most, that put him a semester behind his friends. So what? Many of them took an extra semester or year, too. Some are now in graduate school or looking for a job.
This is a unique time in your life. You should take the opportunity to do the DCP, if you can.

I have to absolutely agree. Life's too short not to take this opportunity if it shows itself, I took a semester off for my program and looking back I'd do it all over again. I wish the best of luck to the OP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!