**UPDATE in first post** - College Program (nursing) Admissions question

Yeah... I think they just passed something here in NY requiring RN’s to get Bachelor’s degrees within 10 years or something like that. Luckily, that was already the plan. ;)

http://scrubsmag.com/new-york’s-new-law-requiring-bsn-rns-means-nurses-everywhere/

Last edited:
My D's first Hosp. Job he got with the help of a friend. It was the worst Hosp. Around here. They knew he only had an rn but showed them he was doing the online bsn program.

The only other job offer he got at first was also a nursing home that was OK with him working on the bsn. He didn't take it as the patient to nurse ratio was like 60 to 1. Too unsafe.

His friend got an internship at a magnet Hosp. With no experience and a bsn.

Most of his class started off in nursing homes.

Its good he is looking at several options.

My D's first Hosp. Job he got with the help of a friend. It was the worst Hosp. Around here. They knew he only had an rn but showed them he was doing the online bsn program.

The only other job offer he got at first was also a nursing home that was OK with him working on the bsn. He didn't take it as the patient to nurse ratio was like 60 to 1. Too unsafe.

His friend got an internship at a magnet Hosp. With no experience and a bsn.

Most of his class started off in nursing homes.

Its good he is looking at several options.
I remember that. Glad he's doing well now.

The hospital I’m employed at paid for my RN to BSN. Nurses here can choose to participate in a “clinical ladder” program, where there are merit raises based on additional degrees and certifications. If he is really thinking about becoming a nurse anesthetist, I would suggest attempting to get straight into an ICU/CVICU...CRNA programs are super competitive, much more so than NP programs, IMO. A friend of mine just got into a competitive CRNA program...he had an ADN, BSN, CCRN certification, and 3 years ICU experience by age 23. In his case I think being able to get critical care experience while finishing his BSN helped fast track his CRNA requirements. Nursing is a great field, good luck to your son!

The hospital where I work as a RN now requires new hire ADN nurses to sign a contract that they will complete their BSN within 5 years. This was initiated shortly after I was hired. I have my ADN and do not plan to bridge to BSN. I know that that will now limit me to staying where I am at, or working in a nursing home probably, but I really don't want to get the BSN. Most of my coworkers with ADNs or diplomas don't plan to go further. The hospital I work at is Magnet status. I think they only pay like $1000 for furthering your education, and if you are contingent (which I am) they won't pay anything. Thankfully the price of bridging has come down significantly, one of my coworkers is paying around $9000 and it is all online.

I think that your son's test scores are good, hopefully his GPA is high enough. When I was trying to get into my nursing program they based your admittance on your GPA and your HESI score result. I had a 4.0 from taking my prereqs one at a time and doing well on them, and I scored a 95 on the HESI so I knew I would get in. Good luck to your son! If he is young, he won't have to stress very much about bridging to BSN.

I may be flamed but,in the interest of diversity, a male applicant has a better chance to be admitted to a nursing program based on their gender. Yes I am a nurse.

I thought the same thing, but his advisor told him it won't even be considered. Maybe he's just saying that, I don't know.

I talked to him about doing straight BSN, but he's adamant about going the ADN to BSN route. I appreciate all your advice! He will be applying next week (deadline is Feb 15) and we should know something the first week of April. In the mean time, he is taking a couple courses that are required for ADN and BSN (typically taken during the program), so he's getting a little bit of a head start.

I will update when we find out if he's been accepted. Thanks again!

Congrats to your son! I know I posted before but allnurses is a great website for your son to connect with his fall cohort. Some branch off from there a start Facebook groups too.

Congratulations to your son! I know how relieved you and he must be! I remember going through a similar situation with our daughter when she was applying for a very competitive undergraduate major program (only 20 open spots) and then again when she applied for her grad school program which was even more competitive. She graduates as a speech language pathologist in May!

Congratulations to your son! I know how relieved you and he must be! I remember going through a similar situation with our daughter when she was applying for a very competitive undergraduate major program (only 20 open spots) and then again when she applied for her grad school program which was even more competitive. She graduates as a speech language pathologist in May!

That's a great profession! I used to work in a Communication Disorders clinic/Grad Program at our University. You're right, it's very selective! I only remember one student being accepted with under a 3.85 when I was there. Almost all had 4.0 and volunteer work, etc, were always considered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!