College Program Parents Thread...

My DS is also 22 and heading to the world in the fall. Graduated in May. I am wondering how your DD's experience was after being a college graduate. I wondered if they almost seem to old for the program and wondered if you would be able to provide feedback on her experience.
My dd knew that she wanted to work for Disney, in some capacity. She also knew that unlike some of her friends, if she did the College Program during her college years, she would have a really hard time leaving Disney and returning to school!! So, she waited until her senior year. She applied in Jan '16, he senior year of college. She was accepted into the program a month or so later. She graduated in May, and headed to WDW Labor Day weekend '16. She worked in attractions at DHS. Her request to extend was accepted, so she worked until May '17. She wanted to apply for f/t or p/t work but she had acquired too many points due to illness and some bad choices. So, she left Disney in early May and applied to Universal. Started there in late June '17 p/t. We had to support her pretty much for the next 10 months. She had an apt with roommates, and her car. She wasn't coming home unless something drastic happened. She applied to Disney again in Nov, had a non-returned piece of costume issue that had to be dealt with. That took a month. She interviewed for a few spots but they didn't work out, so she went on an attractions wait list. She was offered p/t in late Jan, and started in Feb. She immediately put in a request for f/t. She was offered f/t in early May, and started f/t in late May. She is happy in her job, and is looking forward to seeing where it all takes her. She has no idea what she wants to do at Disney, long range, but is willing to give it time to see what happens.
If your DS isn't interested in staying with Disney, after the program, it's still beneficial. Employers love seeing Disney on an application. It does seem to open doors. Many kids really grow as a result of this program. They gain a new maturity that they didn't have when they arrived. As long as your ds is fine with possibly working long hours, in a position he might not love, he should be fine. My dd didn't work more than 25 or so hours in a week and she loved her position and the people she worked with!!! She didn't have the best roommate situation, but that can happen.

update to my previous questions and to fill in gaps others might be questioning (things I wondered myself!):

My DS 22 was accepted into the Fall advantage program (June 4-Jan 3, 2018). He just finished his sophomore year in college (he spent two years playing jr hockey in canada so his college start was delayed).
  • He met roommates on facebook, and one was a CP return so he arranged everything which was very convenient. They got a 4 person (two bedroom) apartment in Vista Way (over 21 area). Vista Way is not the newest of residence offered, but most have been redone. Nicer than his college dorm room! The facility has a guard at the gate, pool, gym, tennis courts, laundry and a computer center. It is not the most expensive of apartments but seemed nice and simple.
  • I drove down with him, we arrived a couple days early, enjoyed the parks and I helped him move in. I was the only parent who was there of his roommates (he was fine with it, appreciated the help up three floors of steps with all of his junk).
  • He was given a move in time. Once we moved him in we went and picked up food and some kitchen items needed (he then went later with roommates and got shared room essentials and stuff). I said goodbye, went to hang at my resort until ME picked me up for the plane ride home.
  • Since then: he loves his job...Blizzard Beach. Two roommates left(self termed): one got a job offer back home he was waiting for, the other decided the hours (he was merchandise in one of the parks) were too crazy, he was unhappy, he literally left in one day. Now two new roommates will be moving in next week (regular fall program attendees) He is hoping they are going to fit in ok.....
  • The hotel discounts have been a huge bonus for us and family. He saved my nephew approx. $2,000 on his honeymoon! We are going to Disney alot this year which is a bonus for us! Park tickets come in slow, they need to work a certain amount of hours to earn single day/park hopper tickets. I think 150 hours for 3 tickets? They get a list of restaurants that have discounts up to 40%, but some are only breakfast or lunch or all meals, they need to keep track of that. It was really great when we visited him last. As a CM they get alot of other discounts, again they need to keep track of that.
  • He now wants to extend his time! I have read that some students wait until graduation to do the disney program...I sort of recommend that. My son is now looking at schools in florida, or going to an audition for Disneyland Tokyo and is all about Disney (more than he was before which is hard to believe). The funny thing is, his major is nursing.
So at this point I can say it has been a very positive experience for him. We also have been enjoying it, however it is sending him in a different path than we expected. He was an independent and responsible kid who had lived on his own for two years in a different country, so that was something he did not need to learn, however I would think it is a great learning experience for a kid out on their own for the first time.

If you have any other questions as a parent, fire away....I had so many as well.

AP question.

I’m taking my kid next week in my..... um her car to start the program. We mover her in a week from Monday. My wife is flying down over the weekend to meet us.

How long will it take for her to be able to use her discount so we can buy AP’s? We have a flight home mid day Tuesday, so I’m thinking the chances of getting them at a discount are slim. Anyone know?

AP question.

I’m taking my kid next week in my..... um her car to start the program. We mover her in a week from Monday. My wife is flying down over the weekend to meet us.

How long will it take for her to be able to use her discount so we can buy AP’s? We have a flight home mid day Tuesday, so I’m thinking the chances of getting them at a discount are slim. Anyone know?

Are you flying home the day after she moves in? If this is the case, that would be a no. You need your company ID before you can get any discounts and she will not get that until after she has been to traditions. If you fly out later, than yes it may be possible

We move her in on Monday, we leave mid day Tuesday. Sounds like it’s a no.

Before discounts are available your daughter needs to get through traditions and start working. My son had a delay to start traditions and job training for about 1 1/2 weeks for him and a large bunch. So although he checked on on June 4 he didn't have access to discounts until June 23! Hope you don't have as long a wait!

As PP said - the same thing happened with our DD. We moved her in on a Monday and her traditions was on Friday - yet wasn't able to use discounts until a week later.

Thanks for the information. If we were going to have access to the ap’s it would have been sweet, but if not, oh well. We’ve decided to some non Disney stuff when we go. And I was wrong about the start date, it’s in two weeks, I cought a lot of grief from the kid about getting that mixed up .

I’ve learned a lot about the program from this string, thanks to all who participated.

update to my previous questions and to fill in gaps others might be questioning (things I wondered myself!):

My DS 22 was accepted into the Fall advantage program (June 4-Jan 3, 2018). He just finished his sophomore year in college (he spent two years playing jr hockey in canada so his college start was delayed).
  • He met roommates on facebook, and one was a CP return so he arranged everything which was very convenient. They got a 4 person (two bedroom) apartment in Vista Way (over 21 area). Vista Way is not the newest of residence offered, but most have been redone. Nicer than his college dorm room! The facility has a guard at the gate, pool, gym, tennis courts, laundry and a computer center. It is not the most expensive of apartments but seemed nice and simple.
  • I drove down with him, we arrived a couple days early, enjoyed the parks and I helped him move in. I was the only parent who was there of his roommates (he was fine with it, appreciated the help up three floors of steps with all of his junk).
  • He was given a move in time. Once we moved him in we went and picked up food and some kitchen items needed (he then went later with roommates and got shared room essentials and stuff). I said goodbye, went to hang at my resort until ME picked me up for the plane ride home.
  • Since then: he loves his job...Blizzard Beach. Two roommates left(self termed): one got a job offer back home he was waiting for, the other decided the hours (he was merchandise in one of the parks) were too crazy, he was unhappy, he literally left in one day. Now two new roommates will be moving in next week (regular fall program attendees) He is hoping they are going to fit in ok.....
  • The hotel discounts have been a huge bonus for us and family. He saved my nephew approx. $2,000 on his honeymoon! We are going to Disney alot this year which is a bonus for us! Park tickets come in slow, they need to work a certain amount of hours to earn single day/park hopper tickets. I think 150 hours for 3 tickets? They get a list of restaurants that have discounts up to 40%, but some are only breakfast or lunch or all meals, they need to keep track of that. It was really great when we visited him last. As a CM they get alot of other discounts, again they need to keep track of that.
  • He now wants to extend his time! I have read that some students wait until graduation to do the disney program...I sort of recommend that. My son is now looking at schools in florida, or going to an audition for Disneyland Tokyo and is all about Disney (more than he was before which is hard to believe). The funny thing is, his major is nursing.
So at this point I can say it has been a very positive experience for him. We also have been enjoying it, however it is sending him in a different path than we expected. He was an independent and responsible kid who had lived on his own for two years in a different country, so that was something he did not need to learn, however I would think it is a great learning experience for a kid out on their own for the first time.

If you have any other questions as a parent, fire away....I had so many as well.
You're so right about waiting until after graduation!!! My dd knew it would be an issue. She has known since she was 12 that she wanted to work for Disney. So, it would have been really hard for her to leave there and return to college. So, she waited until Jan of her senior year. It was doubly stressful because she had only one shot down the road if she got rejected. She could have applied in August for the spring, but those were her only two options. She was, happily, accepted. This is her experience...
We arrived the Sat of Labor Day weekend, and played in the parks. I bought her a 5 day hopper so she could play with us, and then have a few days to go during her first week before Traditions. On Tuesday, her checkin time was 8:40 (got there 10 min early, had to leave and come back, so don't arrive early!!!). Checkin took about 7 mins, dad and I waited in the car. Drove to the apt, she was the first to arrive so got her choice of bedrooms and bed! That was a plus. We started unloading the car. She had Casting at 9:20ish...so she headed to the bus, while we kept unpacking. Many say that you can't stay without your kiddo, but we had no issue. She was at Casting for about 2 hrs. While she was gone, the next girl arrived. Then another one, with her mom in tow. When dd got back from Casting, we headed to Target, and loaded up two carriages with supplies...food, paper goods, cleaning supplies, bedding (didn't bring it from home). Returned, got that stuff into the apt, and she left to get drug tested. It was a good thing we were still there since she had forgotten something she needed so I could bring it to her vs her losing her spot in the very long line. We said goodbye to her around 3pm. Flew home the next morning. The girls bonde that night, went to the beach on Thursday. Dd had Traditions on Sat, started work on Monday. She worked Jedi Training Academy at DHS.

She applied for, and got, an extension. So, on Jan 5 she moved out of Vista Way and into an apt with a friend for a few weeks. She and a friend were staying in Orlando so had found an apt but it wouldn't be ready until the middle of Jan. Her dad had driven down her car on NYE, so she got that the day she moved since she didn't have a parking permit for VW.

She applied for pt/ft on the Hub when it was appropriate (early April I think). She was denied due to excessive points. She was sick a fair amount of time and when her boyfriend moved down, she tended to call out to be with him. Bad choices. She applied at Universal and was hired on the spot for pt. She loved her time there!!! But, it was very difficult to make ends meet on her pay, so we had to step in. Still in the apt with the boyfriend. Her girlfriend moved out in November to be with her fiance.

In November, she started the application process with Disney. She had a not returned costume belt issue with Disney....make sure your kids return their entire costume!!! That mistake slowed the process down a lot. She interviewed for a few jobs, but they didn't pan out. And they should'nt have...they weren't really right for her. She finally heard back in Jan, and was offered pt! She started in Main St Ops in late Jan, and immediately applied for ft!! She loved her time on Main St. She worked for both Disney and Universal.

In May, she got the word that she was going ft..over in AdventureLand. She was thrilled!!! At this point, she had broken up with the boyfriend (in late April) and moved in with three other girls, in a house in Kissimmee. She loves it there, happy to be single again!!! She started ft over Memorial Day weekend. She is in heaven. It has been hard for her to make the jump to ft work...this is a first for her. But, she is doing better with it. She has some wonderful friends down there, she isn't coming home any time soon. She has no idea where the next five years will take her at Disney but she's willing to find out.

So, for you that are just starting this journey, know that it will be very hard for your kids to come home and go back to school! But, they must. Disney wants to see a BA!!! It's hard work. Those in the College Program can get a ton more hours than they want...it can be grueling. And dealing with personalities can be tough. Dd didn't leave with great friendships from her roommates. They got along fine but wouldn't have been friends outside of WDW. This is a great program as long as you know what you're getting into. Kids can't get time off...they can ask, but the pt/ft CMs get first dibs, and even they don't always get what they want!!! Leaders may not be wonderful. My dd was really lucky, her leaders were all terrific. In fact, she's going to one of her leader's wedding in four days!!! But other kids have had bad experiences with their leaders. They may not like the job/position they are assigned. But if they go into it with a good attitude, they may very well find that they come to love where they are.

I sometimes wish I was just starting out on this journey..it was so exciting!!! Good luck to all of you!!!!

My DS is also 22 and heading to the world in the fall. Graduated in May. I am wondering how your DD's experience was after being a college graduate. I wondered if they almost seem to old for the program and wondered if you would be able to provide feedback on her experience.

My daughter just the opposite. She could have graduated this December and then tried the college program out after graduation, but she got in for June 4-Jan 3 of this year and has gone for it. Have to say that she's loved every minute of her time there. While she's a senior, she's a young senior, if that makes any sense at all as she's a September birthday which made her one of the youngest in her class all throughout school. Some of her roommates are 19 and have just finished their freshman year, and here she is 20 and a senior.

I think one of the best lessons that she's learned is that all jobs aren't 9-5 Monday through Friday. Heck, she works at Beaches and their hours are 11-11, so many days she's 5-12:30 or 12-10. No complaints from her at all; again, she loves it, and I'm thankful. There are so many kids there working there and they work so hard that they don't have time to think that they're older than the rest. Everyone just binds together and gets the job done.

Great thread :) I am just venturing into this part of the DIS. My dd18 just applied for the spring. It appears from reading through this thread a little bit that she is pretty young compared to most. She's known she's wanted this since she was 12yo, and basically has been counting down the time until she was eligible to apply. Does anyone know the chances of Disney accepting someone so young into the program? Anyone have a kiddo who got accepted as a freshman or sophomore? My dd hopes to be accepted into a nursing program within the next 18 mos, and then it'd be difficult to take a break to do DCP.

Great thread :) I am just venturing into this part of the DIS. My dd18 just applied for the spring. It appears from reading through this thread a little bit that she is pretty young compared to most. She's known she's wanted this since she was 12yo, and basically has been counting down the time until she was eligible to apply. Does anyone know the chances of Disney accepting someone so young into the program? Anyone have a kiddo who got accepted as a freshman or sophomore? My dd hopes to be accepted into a nursing program within the next 18 mos, and then it'd be difficult to take a break to do DCP.
Lots of CPs are in their freshman and sophomore years. A lot more than those applying in their senior year, as my dd did. Just be sure your dd knows what she's getting into. If accepted, she will be agreeing to 24/7 availability. She could well end up in a job she isn't thrilled with, and work up to 60 hrs a week!!! It can be grueling. As a parent of a dd who did the program in Sept '16, after graduation, extended until May '17, it's been eye opening. She didn't get more than 25 hrs a week due to her job placement. She had a not so great roommate situation, but she has loved all her jobs at WDW...she is now f/t. The issue is that many kids go into this thinking of how 'magical' it will be...but it's hard work. Many are not prepared for it, especially if they aren't used to being away from home and their support system! Just things to keep in mind.

My DD went in after graduation but her tight friend group included 2 freshman, 3 juniors and 2 of them that had just graduated. They actually had a top to bottom 12 year age range .... all worked out just fine. In her situation I would for sure do it now ... if you think she is ready for that kind of huge commitment. Many younger ones can't handle the demand. But with her going in to nursing school and potentially having a job offer straight out of school ... I would do sooner than later.

Lots of CPs are in their freshman and sophomore years. A lot more than those applying in their senior year, as my dd did. Just be sure your dd knows what she's getting into. If accepted, she will be agreeing to 24/7 availability. She could well end up in a job she isn't thrilled with, and work up to 60 hrs a week!!! It can be grueling. As a parent of a dd who did the program in Sept '16, after graduation, extended until May '17, it's been eye opening. She didn't get more than 25 hrs a week due to her job placement. She had a not so great roommate situation, but she has loved all her jobs at WDW...she is now f/t. The issue is that many kids go into this thinking of how 'magical' it will be...but it's hard work. Many are not prepared for it, especially if they aren't used to being away from home and their support system! Just things to keep in mind.

Ditto on ... be ready. DD did get lots of hours all the way through both programs, did have disappointing roommates first round (they picked each other) and horrific ones second round (psycho) ............ loved 2 of her 3 jobs even though her anticipation of each was the opposite. With all the negative it was a great experience and helped her on her journey.

Her goal for YEARS was to work at Disney and every move in her life she made was to prepare her. She even considered living off DCP housing but luckily was talked in to it. She became close to several managers, picked brains, gathered as much input as she could ....... and decided Disney was not her life calling and went back to grad school. Her experiences helped her tremendously. She wouldn't change a thing.

@goofy4tink and @HopperFan
Thank you for your responses! You've definitely made me feel better knowing there are other 'youngsters' in the program :) She is pretty responsible and mature so not worried about that at all. I think the
60-hour work week might be challenging (if she received that many hours) and any roommate struggles. She is living at home still and getting pre-reqs done at the community college so she isn't even having to deal with roomies yet though she says she'd really be excited about that part of the DCP. She's not a party girl at all though so I think choosing some 'like-minded' girls would be important.

I'd love to see her wait a couple years to do this but I just don't see it fitting into her grand plan. And this is something she's been wanting for 6+ years so I want to encourage her to go for it no matter how nervous I am about it!

Well, don't want to get ahead of myself though it's easy to do lol!

Thank you for your responses! You've definitely made me feel better knowing there are other 'youngsters' in the program :) She is pretty responsible and mature so not worried about that at all. I think the
60-hour work week might be challenging (if she received that many hours) and any roommate struggles. She is living at home still and getting pre-reqs done at the community college so she isn't even having to deal with roomies yet though she says she'd really be excited about that part of the DCP. She's not a party girl at all though so I think choosing some 'like-minded' girls would be important.

I'd love to see her wait a couple years to do this but I just don't see it fitting into her grand plan. And this is something she's been wanting for 6+ years so I want to encourage her to go for it no matter how nervous I am about it!

Our DD did the program at 19 in her Sophomore year. She was there from January to the end of July. She too wasn't a party girl and very close to us in NYC - so not close to FL. She ended up finding a phenomenal roommate that she is still friends with today and is like a daughter to us. She went on several facebook groups and filled out the roommate quiz - she specifically said she wasn't a party girl and found girls just like her.

She worked in MK and did work many hours. The hardest part for her was watching other kids call out sick (even though they weren't) and she had to work many extra hours - many. We did go to visit her many times (the CM discounts are wonderful) - plus she came home twice - sometimes for just 2 days. Given everything she will say it was the best part of her life so far. She absolutely loved it - and after she graduates with her Masters she is trying to work for Disney F/T.

If this is what your daughter wants - I say have her do it.

Our DD did the program at 19 in her Sophomore year. She was there from January to the end of July. She too wasn't a party girl and very close to us in NYC - so not close to FL. She ended up finding a phenomenal roommate that she is still friends with today and is like a daughter to us. She went on several facebook groups and filled out the roommate quiz - she specifically said she wasn't a party girl and found girls just like her.

She worked in MK and did work many hours. The hardest part for her was watching other kids call out sick (even though they weren't) and she had to work many extra hours - many. We did go to visit her many times (the CM discounts are wonderful) - plus she came home twice - sometimes for just 2 days. Given everything she will say it was the best part of her life so far. She absolutely loved it - and after she graduates with her Masters she is trying to work for Disney F/T.

If this is what your daughter wants - I say have her do it.

Thanks for sharing your dd's experience! That is so neat that she had such a great program. I'm sure that is hard watching kids call in sick when they weren't, and your dd having to work more. Do the kids get 'dinged' at all for calling in sick? I read a pp say her dd got 'points' (bad points??) for calling in sick.

What is your dd getting her Master's in, and what does she hope to do for Disney?

Thanks for sharing your dd's experience! That is so neat that she had such a great program. I'm sure that is hard watching kids call in sick when they weren't, and your dd having to work more. Do the kids get 'dinged' at all for calling in sick? I read a pp say her dd got 'points' (bad points??) for calling in sick.

What is your dd getting her Master's in, and what does she hope to do for Disney?

Yes she loved her DCP experience. Disney does give points for everything. Being late, calling out whether sick or not. If they find out that you call in sick and aren't, you can be immediately dismissed. By daughter ended up getting 1 point total - I think. 1/2 point for coming in late twice - if it was less than 2 hours it was 1/2 point. That was very good as many of her friends had more. I think they were able to get somewhere from 12 to 14 points in total - but I am not sure. I have to say her DCP experience has helped her get many internships after that. It made for great conversations during interviews. It also landed her a Disney internship in NYC for a year and she loved it. She is going for her Masters of Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing and can't wait to work for them full time. Let us know how your daughter makes out - if she does do it now.

Yes she loved her DCP experience. Disney does give points for everything. Being late, calling out whether sick or not. If they find out that you call in sick and aren't, you can be immediately dismissed. By daughter ended up getting 1 point total - I think. 1/2 point for coming in late twice - if it was less than 2 hours it was 1/2 point. That was very good as many of her friends had more. I think they were able to get somewhere from 12 to 14 points in total - but I am not sure. I have to say her DCP experience has helped her get many internships after that. It made for great conversations during interviews. It also landed her a Disney internship in NYC for a year and she loved it. She is going for her Masters of Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing and can't wait to work for them full time. Let us know how your daughter makes out - if she does do it now.

Wow, awesome for your dd! Sounds like she could have a great career ahead of her!

My dd has chronic lyme disease and while she is on the way to good health (been in treatment for two years), I could see that maybe she might have to call in sick occasionally so I was curious about the point system.

I'll definitely post back how it goes for her. She is the one in my profile pic in the red :) I wish this board was more active. I love reading all the CP kid's experiences!

Wow, awesome for your dd! Sounds like she could have a great career ahead of her!

My dd has chronic lyme disease and while she is on the way to good health (been in treatment for two years), I could see that maybe she might have to call in sick occasionally so I was curious about the point system.

I'll definitely post back how it goes for her. She is the one in my profile pic in the red :) I wish this board was more active. I love reading all the CP kid's experiences!

I am sorry about you DD but if it all works out I would have her tell her manager her situation up front. Here is a document I found online that can give you a brief understanding of the point system. It is old and I am not sure if it has changed but it will help you understand.

https://collinsrace1.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/img_20150506_0001.jpg

My DD had good managers and once the managers get to know your DD they will know if she is sick or not. I know there are many active Facebooks pages about this. Once my DD gets up I will PM you with her info. She would love to pass any DCP knowledge she has. My DD is all Disney.

My DD did her first program as a sophomore in College. Her first program was fall 2017. Be aware fall term is all the parties and extended hours and holidays. She likely won't get much-if any-time off for the holidays if that is important to her. My DD deliberately chose fall because she loves that time of year! Side note-I do too! I managed to get down to the parks every month but one during both her programs LOL, but I think it helped with homesickness over the holidays. We went over Tday week and just had thanksgiving dinner on a day she had off.
Also-the biggest conflict my DD ever had with roommates was on apartment cleanliness. So many kids do NOT pick up/clean up after themselves. Yes-those dishes you used will NOT get cleaned and put away by magic!

My DD first program was at a resort-which she was initially pretty upset about as she wanted a park pretty bad. However-because there weren't many DCP kids (she was custodial) she became very good friends with her leads and the p/t and f/t CM's. And made a new BFF who was also a fellow custodial DCP. And she had nice regular hours over the busy season-she routinely worked 45-52 hours a week, always done by midnight. DD went back for summer alumni this past summer-and this time she was attractions in DHS-a completely different experience (Hours 32-40/week). She says she actually cannot pick which experience was "better" as she really enjoyed both! She worked Muppets/Jedi but got all the swag from TSL opening too.
Both programs she was more in tune with work mates than room mates -room mates all have differing schedules so was hard to get a group all together to do stuff with.

Good luck to your DD!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!