College Program Parents Thread...

Howdy folks - I have been a DIS lurker for a good 2 years but only just registered as I am having major anxiety over my daughter leaving me for WDW Careerstart in August:scared1: She is SOOO excited and I am most of the time but well...
First let me say we are from a small rural Alaska town of about 1100 and this will be the first time she will have a "big town" experience - come to think of it this will also be the longest we have ever been apart ( she was homeschooled) - now I know that this is a WONDERFUL opportunity and she is going to 18 and I have to let go but :sad2: I'm working on it!
Ok - now for the big question - she leaves in August and we have NO family on the East Coast so I was thinking of going down a few days early with the family and spending some time with her there before her check in. Then I wanted to spend another week or so making sure she got settled in. For those alumni out there - is this a good plan or is it too smothering? ( Oh let me say that my daughter is so twitterpaited that she is not as anxious as Mom here):banana: :woohoo: :yay:
Also- which resort is closer to Vista Way ( that's her 1st choice of dorms)?
Can she get from a resort to the dorms on a bus or do we have to get her a taxi?
Thanks for letting me vent some jitters and for all info you can give:flower3:

Howdy folks - I have been a DIS lurker for a good 2 years but only just registered as I am having major anxiety over my daughter leaving me for WDW Careerstart in August:scared1: She is SOOO excited and I am most of the time but well...
First let me say we are from a small rural Alaska town of about 1100 and this will be the first time she will have a "big town" experience - come to think of it this will also be the longest we have ever been apart ( she was homeschooled) - now I know that this is a WONDERFUL opportunity and she is going to 18 and I have to let go but :sad2: I'm working on it!
Ok - now for the big question - she leaves in August and we have NO family on the East Coast so I was thinking of going down a few days early with the family and spending some time with her there before her check in. Then I wanted to spend another week or so making sure she got settled in. For those alumni out there - is this a good plan or is it too smothering? ( Oh let me say that my daughter is so twitterpaited that she is not as anxious as Mom here):banana: :woohoo: :yay:
Can she get from a resort to the dorms on a bus or do we have to get her a taxi?

Welcome to DIS!!:)

I don't think it's too smothering. My dad has come down with me for each of my 3 programs (and will be coming back down with me in May). Unfortunately I don't know about Disney resorts. But there is a hotel right nearby Vista (the Holiday Inn Sunspree). And no. Unfortuntely there are no resort buses that go to Vista. You would need to get a cab.:)

Hi! Mom here not an alum but we ended up doing something similar last summer. I took my daughter down and we had a few fun days before she checked in - mainly because there was a Pirate and Princess Party we wanted to attend that was a few days before her arrival date.

Once she checked in I stayed in town a couple of more days because I had a car and could help her if needed - I really didn't hover but she needed black shoes and she wanted to get Sketchers rather than the Walmart brand so I took her there, also took her to get her banking set up - -that sort of thing --just to make it easier for her.

I then left for a couple of weeks but was only an hour and a half away at my inlaws empty condo in St Pete. I really didn't hear from her much during that time - she was so busy. But she had gotten tickets to see the Jonas Bros and didn't have anyone that knew of them at that time so I came back over and went with her, took her out to dinner and then back to the apt.

My husband came at the end of that time for a week because we had gotten a free dining pkg before all this transpired - and he wanted to see her actually working so that week we spent some time with her as well.

As far as getting around she can get everywhere using the Disney CP bus system combined with the Disney system. Of course in costume she can't be on the regular guest buses.

I had a car because we drove.

Later in the year I flew down for a visit and rented a car so I could help her get groceries and do some errrands. You might consider that.

Vista is close to the different resort areas by way of different transportation routes. I would say its really closest to the DTD resorts and then Saratoga Springs but I stayed at All Stars and via 1-4 it is pretty convenient also.

I would say the MK resorts are furthest away.

Often if we are meeting her we just meet her at the parks or wherever rather than having her come to the resort. Although when the extended family came in Dec she met us all at the resort.

If you have anymore questions ask away.

Liz

As far as getting around she can get everywhere using the Disney CP bus system combined with the Disney system. Of course in costume she can't be on the regular guest buses.

Actually, I don't think that's true. I have see CMs in costume riding the WDW buses.

Actually, I don't think that's true. I have see CMs in costume riding the WDW buses.

Wow really! I just assumed no to that! Although now that I think about it - my daughter's culinary roommates did use the monorail to get to work from the TTC so I guess they do use the transportation. And I know I have seen transportation CMs using Disney transportation to get around.

My daughter is in attractions and I am pretty sure she doesn't get on the Disney guest buses in her costume - but rather changes first if she is headed to a resort.

Liz

I wouldn't have been allowed to wear my costume on the bus (character attendants can't take the costumes home), but I had days where I started at one park and had to take the guest bus to another park for a second shift (this was mostly AK-MK).

Hi! and welcome. I am a parent of a first time CPer. My daughter starts May 28. Yes, I am stressing over it.:eek: But what an opportunity these kids have. I have to admit we are Disney junkies.:dance3: My first trip was in 1975 for Grad nite and my husband was first at WDW in 1972. My kids grew up with Disney and now my grandchildren are enjoying "the Mouse". Even though I live in Florida, love WDW and can be in Orlando in less than two hours..........doesn't help. Smothering is what mothers (and fathers) do best. My daughter checks in on a Wednesday and my husband took the whole week off. (Daddy's girl). I will be anxiously watchingpopcorn:: as my daughter goes off into 'the World'. (just not too closely so that I get caught watching.:rolleyes1 ). If I can be a help to anyone, please let me know. We are all fixin' to jump into the same boat. Good luck.:wizard: Diane

Thanks for starting this thread!

My son wants to be in the Career Start program next year and I'm reading all of the info I can get my hands on. He and I are taking a trip this year for free dining and are hoping to check some things out connected with the program.

Is there a student office or counselors office where we could talk to someone? Possibly tour the apartment/dorm areas?

Thanks. :)

Thanks for starting this thread!

My son wants to be in the Career Start program next year and I'm reading all of the info I can get my hands on. He and I are taking a trip this year for free dining and are hoping to check some things out connected with the program.

Is there a student office or counselors office where we could talk to someone? Possibly tour the apartment/dorm areas?

Thanks. :)

unfortunately, no you can't tour the apt/dorm areas, however, I suggest you go to the casting building, they have an office for college recruiting/career start, i suggest you go there..

unfortunately, no you can't tour the apt/dorm areas, however, I suggest you go to the casting building, they have an office for college recruiting/career start, i suggest you go there..

Although you can't actually tour the apts when my daughter and I knew she was interested we did drive over and past the different complexes so she could get a feel for the neighborhoods the apartments were in.

Also we would look at the name tags of the CMs and those with colleges were either carreer start or college program and we would strike up conversations.

Liz

So I have a daughter starting this summer, going thru Jan 09 on the College Program.

Some questions we have...

How often do the kids get enough time off to come home? It would be cheaper for her to come home than for us to go see her. I am thinking if she had 3 or 4 days in a row, it would be worthwhile.

She is not planning on bringing her car. Are the buses adequate?

Banking? Can she direct deposit in an out of state account, or will she need a local bank.

She is going to be a character handler. Do they work at the same location, or do they rotate around frequently?

How does check in day normally go, schedule wise? Will she be occupied all day or is finished earlier? How soon after check in do they go to work? Will she start the next day? Will she have any time to go to the parks with the family who will be there also? We are flying down the night before check-in and will be around for the week.

We hope to get there early so she can get her choice of location for room. She has a friend whom she want to room with. Does that person have to be there at the same time?

Any other advice appreciated!

How often do the kids get enough time off to come home? It would be cheaper for her to come home than for us to go see her. I am thinking if she had 3 or 4 days in a row, it would be worthwhile.

It is generally expected that they will not have time to go home. Typically, students will get two days off a week - but that varies greatly based on job, location and season (I'm afraid I can't speak for entertainment). The weeks run Sunday-Saturday, so she might try to request a Fri-Sat off for one week and then a Sun-Mon the next, to get 4 days off in a row.

Many students rely on the buses so they are quite good. The only thing would be preparation and making sure she doesn't miss the bus. Sometimes they will put you to work much earlier then a shift starts, so she has to be wise with her time, maybe wonder around the parks if she wants.

Banking? Can she direct deposit in an out of state account, or will she need a local bank.
She can back from home, out of state.

She is going to be a character handler. Do they work at the same location, or do they rotate around frequently?
Are you referring to a Character Attendant? In that case, she'll be working all over the resort, at all parks, and maybe some of the restaurants.

How does check in day normally go, schedule wise? Will she be occupied all day or is finished earlier? How soon after check in do they go to work? Will she start the next day? Will she have any time to go to the parks with the family who will be there also? We are flying down the night before check-in and will be around for the week.
There are two housing meetings on check-in day, so she'll be required to attend one. If you get there early (which it sounds like you're planning on), then her housing meeting will be earlier in the day and she'll have the late afternoon and evening off.

On the second day there is another meeting to talk about work locations and to sign up for classes, it is my understanding that this meeting is only offered in the morning, then she'll have the afternoon/evening off.

Day three is when she'll start traditions (work) which runs for about 4 hours, then her training from there will branch off into her actual job and varies based on positions. Keep in mind that she will not get free access to the parks or access to her hotel discounts until day three.

She has a friend whom she want to room with. Does that person have to be there at the same time?
If they do not do the roommate notification then yes, they'll have to arrive together. If they do the roommate notification then they do not have to, but it is still generally recommended.

So I have a daughter starting this summer, going thru Jan 09 on the College Program.

Some questions we have...

We hope to get there early so she can get her choice of location for room. She has a friend whom she want to room with. Does that person have to be there at the same time?

Any other advice appreciated!

It is not common getting 3-4 days off that much. Typically it is 2 days off a week, but during really busy times it may even be just 1 day. You may be able to get 4 days off in a row by requesting a Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon (2 weeks worth), but there is no guarantee.

Yes. You can get by with the buses. I have done 3 CPs, and have not had a car for any of them.

Yes, she can direct-deposit into a bank.

Character attendants work everywhere. They can work in all 4 parks and also in the resorts for dining (though that is not very common). It is the best job ever!!

Check-in runs from 9am til 1pm. They usually allow people to start earlier (last summer I started at 8, and was done by 8:45am). After the housing meeting (done in the afternoon), you are all done for the day. You will not start training right away. You find out your work location on Day 2, have Traditions on Day 3 (this is where you get the work ID, which means you can't get into the parks for free before this), and training usually starts around Day 4-6. It depends by area. If she is not doing the roomie notification, and there is someone she wants to room with, they have to be in line together.

Has anyone else's DD/DS checked in yet? I am in FL, and in Patterson!! I find out my work location today!

Congrads on getting into Patterson. My DD arrives on the 28th. Good luck with your work location. Waiting to hear how it works out for you.:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter