College Program Questions Thread, Pt 4

Can anyone give some insight on Main Entrance Operations?

I just got accepted as MEO ^^ and was wondering what all it might entail. I know I could get stuck out working in the parking lot but I wanted to know what else I could be doing. Is it different based on which park you're in? Im at WDW and wasnt sure if Epcot would be different from the main park etc. Ive only actually been to Disney that I can remember a couple of times.

MEO has 2 parts, the parking area and the gate area. You'll be told which one you're when you go to Casting.

I know it's answered every CP season, but I'm curious if things have changed...

What's the best deal when traveling to Orlando International Airport (MCO) for the DCP?

Where's the best place to stay the night before if someone decides to fly in the night before check-in? I've heard a lot of things about the Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista since it's right across the street from Vista Way, behind the Walgreens. Supposedly they give CP discounts, which I don't know if it is still true. I've also heard of several CP's staying on WDW property since there's the Magical Express.

The only real concern is getting to Vista Way from the Airport, really. The other thing I'm not so sure about is getting from a WDW resort to Vista Way, which is why I ask. Just thought I'd ask before calling Holiday Inn about an Airport Shuttle.

Thanks!

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

I know it's answered every CP season, but I'm curious if things have changed...

What's the best deal when traveling to Orlando International Airport (MCO) for the DCP?

Where's the best place to stay the night before if someone decides to fly in the night before check-in? I've heard a lot of things about the Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista since it's right across the street from Vista Way, behind the Walgreens. Supposedly they give CP discounts, which I don't know if it is still true. I've also heard of several CP's staying on WDW property since there's the Magical Express.

The only real concern is getting to Vista Way from the Airport, really. The other thing I'm not so sure about is getting from a WDW resort to Vista Way, which is why I ask. Just thought I'd ask before calling Holiday Inn about an Airport Shuttle.

Thanks!

First I'd like to say I'm curious about the Holiday inn discount for CPs also.

I think on the transportation front you're stuck with paying either the shuttle from MCO to the Holiday Inn or from WDW property to Vista via Taxi. Honestly I think it's better to get the shuttle from MCO to the Holiday Inn, but that's just my opinion. The only reason I didn't stay there my first program was because one of me exes was a manager at a marriott and she was able to give me a crazy good discount at the marriott near the commons, plus I had a car to get me to Vista from there.

I was wondering is it completely necessary to bring a laptop/computer with you to the DCP. My laptop is the only working computer in my house so I doubt I'll be allowed to bring it. So is it ok not to bring one?

I was wondering is it completely necessary to bring a laptop/computer with you to the DCP. My laptop is the only working computer in my house so I doubt I'll be allowed to bring it. So is it ok not to bring one?

It's not completely necessary! Each apartment complex has a computer lab so if you ever need to use a computer, you could use those. :)

Random question, one of my top 3 roles I discussed in my interview was BBB/Pirates League. I would really prefer Pirates League over BBB, but I didn't get a chance to tell my recruiter this. Is there a way to make my preference known?

Random question, one of my top 3 roles I discussed in my interview was BBB/Pirates League. I would really prefer Pirates League over BBB, but I didn't get a chance to tell my recruiter this. Is there a way to make my preference known?

You can try emailing them, but most people have been getting what amounts to an "its too late to request a spot" emails.

So my question is: What if i get down there, go through everything and a month or two in I just can't do it anymore. Stress/homesick/no longer worth it to me Whats the procedure. I realize that it will look bad that I left the program before completion but Im trying to figure out my options.

Ok, anybody who has participated in the CP before... I just got my acceptance for the Fall Advantage 2013 CP...yayyyyy!!!:woohoo: exciting, I know! buuuuuutttt..... I can't go because I have already committed to another job at school. I am planning on trying to do CP either next spring or fall instead. Is it going to be hard for me to get re-accepted? What all will I have to do in re-applying? What do y'all suggest I do? Help!!

Ok, anybody who has participated in the CP before... I just got my acceptance for the Fall Advantage 2013 CP...yayyyyy!!!:woohoo: exciting, I know! buuuuuutttt..... I can't go because I have already committed to another job at school. I am planning on trying to do CP either next spring or fall instead. Is it going to be hard for me to get re-accepted? What all will I have to do in re-applying? What do y'all suggest I do? Help!!

If you decline the offer that has no effect on your chances of being accepted the next time around. There is nothing special you have to do, but at least you have the experience of applying and interviewing! That's always a big help. :)

So my question is: What if i get down there, go through everything and a month or two in I just can't do it anymore. Stress/homesick/no longer worth it to me Whats the procedure. I realize that it will look bad that I left the program before completion but Im trying to figure out my options.

You would tell your manager that you intend to leave. You have to turn in your cast ID, they walk you back to costuming, and then you have to go to the program office and tell them you've self-terminated. They'll have some paperwork, and they will give you a time by which you have to leave your apartment. You'll hand in your housing ID on the day you leave and after that you can't go back into housing.

Self-terminating will make you a restricted rehire, which means you'll need proof that you held different employment for 6 months if you intend to apply again.

I'm curious about family visiting. If my family and boyfriend were to come down for a few days or separately, would my boyfriend be able to stay at the apartment? Id rather not book a hotel for a few nights when I have my own apartment right there.

Just curious. I want him to come down during some free time so we can both experience Disney.

I'm curious about family visiting. If my family and boyfriend were to come down for a few days or separately, would my boyfriend be able to stay at the apartment? Id rather not book a hotel for a few nights when I have my own apartment right there.

Just curious. I want him to come down during some free time so we can both experience Disney.

Nope. No overnight guests are permitted in the apartments.

First I'd like to say I'm curious about the Holiday inn discount for CPs also.

I think on the transportation front you're stuck with paying either the shuttle from MCO to the Holiday Inn or from WDW property to Vista via Taxi. Honestly I think it's better to get the shuttle from MCO to the Holiday Inn, but that's just my opinion. The only reason I didn't stay there my first program was because one of me exes was a manager at a marriott and she was able to give me a crazy good discount at the marriott near the commons, plus I had a car to get me to Vista from there.
Just gave them a call to figure out a few things. The first is that they don't have a shuttle from the Airport, and the recommend either a cab or Mears.

In addition, I asked about a possible College Program discount, and she said that she wasn't aware of one. It wouldn't hurt to ask while booking a room and checking in or out though just in case as I'm sure every little bit helps with most. I'd at least be using my AAA rates for it, thankfully enough.

If you book around now it looks like the room rates are pretty decent with May dates being around $70/night and June dates being around $100/night plus taxes, just book with the Holiday Inn site or directly with the hotel. Also, something else I'd definitely recommend is splitting a room with a few people if you wanted as there's a max of 5 people to a room. The definite plus about the whole hotel is that it's right across the street from Vista Way, on Apoka Vineland Road.

I'm also going to research a bit more into the rates for the Disney Value Resorts on property and compare booking rates for what's available sometime soon.

Does anyone know a lot about the custodial role? One of my best friends got accepted into this program, but he's really hesitant about it.

Other than the 2 hour class once a week, is there any opportunity to learn more about the engineering department at Disney throughout the CP? Or is it just all work all the time.

Trying to convince my friend to come :beach:

Does anyone know a lot about the custodial role? One of my best friends got accepted into this program, but he's really hesitant about it.

Other than the 2 hour class once a week, is there any opportunity to learn more about the engineering department at Disney throughout the CP? Or is it just all work all the time.

Hello! Given that the question is asked on a weekly basis, here's the most recent Custodial related thread. It's definitely a high guest interaction role, and you have a lot more freedom in the role than most others. He'll probably love it as he has the opportunity to meets lots of new people, plus it's a wonderful experience overall!

I believe you're allowed to sign up for 2-3 classes during regular Spring/Fall credits. The best opportunity to get involved, or learn more about Imagineering is through the Engineering Professional Development Studies course. If he's interested in other aspects of the show/design process I'd definitely recommend checking out a few of the other courses available as well. Also, I've heard some areas aren't so great with giving needed days off for classes, so just make sure to communicate!

In the end, just place everything in front of him and let him decide. You being there should just definitely be a plus, as I know I'd love seeing a friend that cares.

My dd is in custodial and she loves it - definitely not complaining. They definitely have more freedom and interaction.

Hey everyone!
I'm very excited to be going on the Fall Advantage 2013 program in Attractions!

I have some questions about money that I hope someone who works in Attractions currently would be able to answer

1. At my former non-Disney park, where I also worked in Attractions, I was something of a work horse averaging between fifty and sixty hours a week. I know the CPs are guaranteed something around thirty a week but how easy is it to pick up extra hours on a very consistent basis. I don't care if it means doing PAC on all of my days off. I just want to come home with money saved up.
2. Once accepted, is there any particular thing you can do to secure a position at an attraction or location you would really love? I know everyone asks for Jungle Cruise, and I did too, but I would love to not be placed in Animal Kingdom, since the hours are more limited.
3. What are the policies on overtime? Do we get overtime? Doubleback? Can they put a cap on the number of hours you work? Like, if I made an attempt to pull 80 hours over a week during Christmas rush, would I be able to do that or would the Secret Labor Police take me away and force me to run Dumbo for thirty hours a week?

I certainly want to have a memorable Disney experience, but I am terrible at saving money and since the Food and Wine Festival will be taking place during the duration of my program, my money will be slowly disappearing from under me.

Thanks for the help!

Hey everyone!
I'm very excited to be going on the Fall Advantage 2013 program in Attractions!

I have some questions about money that I hope someone who works in Attractions currently would be able to answer

1. At my former non-Disney park, where I also worked in Attractions, I was something of a work horse averaging between fifty and sixty hours a week. I know the CPs are guaranteed something around thirty a week but how easy is it to pick up extra hours on a very consistent basis. I don't care if it means doing PAC on all of my days off. I just want to come home with money saved up.
2. Once accepted, is there any particular thing you can do to secure a position at an attraction or location you would really love? I know everyone asks for Jungle Cruise, and I did too, but I would love to not be placed in Animal Kingdom, since the hours are more limited.
3. What are the policies on overtime? Do we get overtime? Doubleback? Can they put a cap on the number of hours you work? Like, if I made an attempt to pull 80 hours over a week during Christmas rush, would I be able to do that or would the Secret Labor Police take me away and force me to run Dumbo for thirty hours a week?

I certainly want to have a memorable Disney experience, but I am terrible at saving money and since the Food and Wine Festival will be taking place during the duration of my program, my money will be slowly disappearing from under me.

Thanks for the help!

I have some answers, but not all since I did not work in attractions

2. Requesting a location. I think you said you requested JC in your interview. That is really the only time you can do so, as others have tried to email after the fact and have not been able to request locations. You don't really get any say, placements are based on operational needs

3. Overtime is given for anything over 8hrs in a day or 40hrs in a week. Doubletime is not allowed! Doubletime which is complicated to explain but basically its less than 8 hrs between shifts. (like working until 1am one day and then coming back into work at 7am for another shift) You cannot pick up shifts that would put you into doubletime, but you CAN be scheduled this way by the scheduler (rare, but it does happen)

It is really easy to spend money and really hard to save it haha. I would suggest you bring your own lunch instead of buying from the cast cafeteria everyday. You will save money and be healthier. Eat before you go to the parks to play or bring snacks with you because all those ice creams and churros add up fast! I spent a ton of money on pins, vinlymations and other merchandise, so limit yourself. Just set up a budget for yourself so you can go out to eat if you want to, or buy that ice cream when you are playing in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter