College Program Questions Thread, Pt 4

....oh, I thought of another question: how lenient is WDW with days off? My DS is leaving Jan 21 and his older brother will be getting married April 4 [my DS is one of the Best Men - my middle DS is the other]. He already knows that he isn't coming home for the bachelor party (the groom is okay with that). Will they allow him to come home Thursday-Saturday [fly back Sunday]? His cousin is also getting married [in Pittsburgh] June 29, so he has that one to attend also....
....anxiously waiting for replies....TIA!

....anxiously waiting for replies....TIA!
Well, all I can say is that it isn’t easy. Used to be that CPs could post shifts they didn’t want, and p/t CMs would grab them. It made taking days off much easier. However, many CPs got rid of so many shifts that they didn’t have enough pay to take care of rent. So now, it’s up to leaders whether or not CPs can get time away approved.

As goofy noted, it is up to the leaders. On top of that, most CP aren't granted weekends off. The best shot your son has is putting in the request as soon as he gets there or even talking to the recruiter about it ahead of time but that is not guaranteed. Part of the contract when you accept the DCP is that you have open availability dependent on what they're willing to give you. Sad to hear past CP have limited giving away. When I did my program in 2013, it was easy to swap shifts and people were generally good about making sure to have enough to cover rent.

....the leader/manager said that he is working with my DS to allow him to get those days.....

Parents, how has it been going for your son/daughter? Any disappointments? Pleasant surprises? My DS got to enjoy Jellyrolls last night with some other DCP kids...apparently it's free on Sunday night for the CMs....

Summer Alumni apps open today-posted only open for a week. No longer have to be enrolled or recently graduated from college, only requirement is a successful prior completion of a DCP (meaning current spring DCP aren't eligible)
This opens up the pool quite a bit my husband and I are eligible (even though our program was early '90's):rotfl2:

Hope this is the right place to ask this...I apologize if not! My dd applied for dcp in January close to when it opened on the 23rd. As of tonight, she hasn't heard anything and it will be 7 weeks tomorrow. We've read that everyone's application moves at a different pace, and as long as you haven't gotten the NLIC email that you're still being considered, so trying to think positively! We are trying to be patient but it is really hard. Her dashboard says 'application received' and hasn't changed, she checks that and email daily and has gotten nothing. Just curious if anyone has had a similar experience and how it turned out...

....my DS told me that he got a grape soda award last week.....HUH? :confused3

Hey guys! Long time no speak so to say LOL. Quick question regarding application. I know they said it is recommeneded to write a cover letter but I'm sure how to write one especially for the college progam. Got Advice

Hey guys! Long time no speak so to say LOL. Quick question regarding application. I know they said it is recommeneded to write a cover letter but I'm sure how to write one especially for the college progam. Got Advice

I'm about to go on my third CP and I've never written a cover letter for my application nor submitted my resumé. It is not necessary by any means. Feel free to do so, but I feel it's extra work. If you are applying for a Professional Internship, I HIGHLY recommend a cover letter but for the CP, it's wholly unnecessary.

....my DS told me that he got a grape soda award last week.....HUH? :confused3

A grape soda is what happens when a fellow cast member recognizes you for exceptional work as a cast member. Usually in regards to the Disney Four Keys. It's just a nice way to tell someone they're being a good cast member and it goes on your record card too to just show you were well admired by other CMs.

Hope this is the right place to ask this...I apologize if not! My dd applied for dcp in January close to when it opened on the 23rd. As of tonight, she hasn't heard anything and it will be 7 weeks tomorrow. We've read that everyone's application moves at a different pace, and as long as you haven't gotten the NLIC email that you're still being considered, so trying to think positively! We are trying to be patient but it is really hard. Her dashboard says 'application received' and hasn't changed, she checks that and email daily and has gotten nothing. Just curious if anyone has had a similar experience and how it turned out...

My first time applying, which was a very different system at the time, I was in 'Application Received' or as it was called then 'Submission' and it was the worst. I ended up getting NLIC'd on the last day, but I applied again a year later and got in. Fast forward now 4 years since my first application for the DCP and I've done two CPs and about to do my third or potentially a Professional Internship. Not to say she isn't gonna get in because I know many who waited awhile for their acceptance, but know if it does come to an NLIC, it's not the end of the world. You can always apply again or pursue other opportunities with Disney if interested.

A grape soda is what happens when a fellow cast member recognizes you for exceptional work as a cast member. Usually in regards to the Disney Four Keys. It's just a nice way to tell someone they're being a good cast member and it goes on your record card too to just show you were well admired by other CMs.
....oh...thanks for the info....that just made my day!

My dd is now ft, was a CP from 9/16-5/17. She had some awful roommate issues. I'm sure she wasn't blameless but it was a miserable time for her. I have heard that the ft/pt CMs tend to get the short end of the stick as far as hours go. CPs are overworked and exhausted. Meanwhile, ft CMs can get as few as 30 hrs! Makes some of them pretty grumpy! Now, this is Disney's fault. They over-hire CPs, then overwork them. I thought my dd had a good program time, but evidently she kept it from me. Come to find out, she, was yelled at, demeaned, made fun of. Add that to her roommate issues and it wasn't a great experience.

I wish there was more info out there regarding DCP. Everyone looks at it as this great honor. I tend to thing of it as indentured servitude! Disney charges CPs a high rent, works them to exhaustion. Yes, having worked at Disney is great on a resume. But, I just wish more people did more research. I can't tell you how many people I've seen posting that have 1. never been to WDW/DLR, 2. have no idea how DCP works. Then, their kiddo gets there and they are hugely surprised by the realities!

Last edited:
....I can't tell you how many people I've seen posting that have have no idea how DCP works. Then, their kiddo gets there and they are hugely surprised by the realities!
...my DS truly got a dose of reality, especially when it comes to just how MUCH he is paying [per paycheck] towards his board. He definitely misunderstood and thought it was per month - turns out to be per PAYCHECK. And, they are not allowed to work more than the 40 hours to get any overtime (or work as servers, because servers get tips). I supplement his bank account so he has money for food...

Question about a role: What are balloon vendors categorized as? Are they technically merchandise? Do CPs ever get the role of balloon vendor and if so..HOW? Thanks!!

Question about a role: What are balloon vendors categorized as? Are they technically merchandise? Do CPs ever get the role of balloon vendor and if so..HOW? Thanks!!

Balloons are a type of outdoor vending, which is under merchandise. If it's a role someone is specifically interested in they might need to hint at it during a PI, from what I've seen you are trained on how to handle them though? It might be too much time to spend on it for a CP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!