College Student And Points

DVCJman

Hilton Head DVC Owner
I would like to make a points reservation for my college nephew, who I raised as a child, to go to WDW during his Christmas break with some of his college friends. All are very responsible and non-drinkers. And I would arrive a few days later.

My questions are......

1. Are there any problems in making a points reservation for a 19 year old?

2. Should I call ahead to note a few days before check-in that he will be arriving.....as in calling the front desk?....member services?

Thanks...

hi: i don't think there's an age problem; legally, he is an adult. when i made ressies for my son and dil, they were made in his name. however, i wasn't ever there for that trip. you may be able to make two seperate ressies and have them linked. ms will be able to guide you.

There will be no problem. My son did the same thing over spring break one year. It was his high school grad present. He took about 8 kids with him. They are all well behaved, too. I know they will have a great time.

I don't think DVC is as strict as many places. It's good you've asked and I would definitely as MS. I suspect the minimum is 18 but at many resorts, especially timeshares, the minimum is 21 and sometimes 23 or even 25. You will be responsible if anything happens or there are extra charges left on the room. They should have a credit card to leave for the room. I'd recommend not having charges allowed on the room keys in this situation other than maybe your nephew. You may trust your nephew but what about the others.

I don't if there are any age restrichtions. My children have stayed at both OKW and BWV with friends when they were 16 and 17. I could find nothing in the selling agreements about this. I do know the owner is responsible for what ever happens, so I hope they behave themselves. They certainly do know that if a behavior problem comes up that they will not be staying there again on my points and you know there are about forty years left in this program.

I believe the person that checks in will need to be 18 or over but not everyone. If anyone is less than 18, someone 18 or over should have a medical power of attorney in case they need to seek medical care. WDW will ask them to leave if they are a problem. There was a report on this board within the last year of that happening.

My 18 year old daughter & some friends went down to OKW last spring break. They had no problems checking in. Used Tiffany Town Car for transportation to & from OKW. Spent their nights at Pleasure Island - no drinking, but lots of fun! (they added on nights to the original ticket for a very low cost).
I looked into public transportation from Disney to Universal and it could be done, but took a long time ... so they just had fun at Disney.

Officially, Disney (and DVC) allows anyone 18 or older to reserve a room or check in. As to your rerservation all you need to do is call MS now and add his name to your reservation and that will allow him to check in.

Only real issue is what to do with other charges that can be made to room (phone calls, park tickets, purchases). If he has a credit card he can check in with that and get a room key that allows charging privileges. If not, he and his party are likely going to need cash to pay for anything.

When my DD was 19, she and three friends used our points to HH. There were no problems at all... I told MS that she was 18 and the ressie was in her name.

I threatened her with bodily harm and also to hunt down her friends if need be! LOL
As she was in GA going to SC, and we were in DE, we had no control, but things were fine. Since I had no CC on file, she knew not to use a card for charging. Starving college students! :) They felt lucky to get a 1-BR at HH for spring break with no $$!

Last June for H.S. Grad., we sent DS and a friend to VWL. We had just closed, and this was our first experience using points. Everything went just fine. I made the ressie in DS's name, he had to show a picture ID (his driver's license), and the boys had a wonderful week. And I was glad to be able to offer a viable option to the famous 'Beach Week'. I arranged to have them picked up and brought back to the airport by Tiffany, and they had a grocery stop on the way to WL. Hope your nephew has a good time...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter