Columbus Day Crowds - what to expect

I am thinking that Columbus Day and the days surrounding it will be as busy as Labor Day was.

What I am hoping is that Oct 17-24 week will be much less busy since its between Columbus and Halloween weeks.
The weekend (Fri and Sat) could be busier with F&W (or historically it has been)... so be mindful when you choose to tour the World Showcase.

I'm feeling the concern, but have dates at this point that can't be changed. Our reason for coming was the attraction of light crowds and low wait times which seems to have disappeared at this point.

I used to go to UO during the Columbus Day weekend
Went yearly for 16 years for that time period

Changed to the week prior 3 years back due to heavy crowds for the weekend

It works well for me.

On another thread, one of the mods posted that they have increased hours for this weekend:
  • Magic Kingdom: 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
  • EPCOT: 11 a.m.-9 p.m.
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios: 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom: 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
This gives me hope that Disney will adjust the hours during Columbus weekend/week.

Every kid in Florida is off for Labor Day. Almost none are off for Columbus Day. I think the day off for most is Veterans Day in mid-November.

That said, since some people are off, you may see a few more people.

Every kid in Florida is off for Labor Day. Almost none are off for Columbus Day. I think the day off for most is Veterans Day in mid-November.

That said, since some people are off, you may see a few more people.
A lot of schools have fall break that week though. Ours do and wellbe there.

We have Fall Break (Atlanta metro) but ours is 10/8-10/12. I'm a teacher and have the 12th as a Teacher Workday so we will be there 10/8-11. We have been the last few years and it really hasn't been that busy, though the Halloween party last year was due to the pass they sold for residents.

Obviously we can't compare those years to this year, but we are going to go and enjoy it. We are APs and go several times a year. We will be at YC so we will hit the pool if need be.

We have visited a few times since the reopening. We were there for Labor Day weekend. It was definitely busier than our earlier visits but it was manageable. Our biggest problem was the heat.

Interestingly, the weekend after Columbus Day (16-18) is apparently going to be more busy than Columbus Day weekend. At least based on the hotel pricing/availability. I'm guessing that's because that weekend encompasses school districts ending their fall break weeks and others who are starting their fall break weeks. I've watched the Disney resort prices sky rocket for that weekend over the past week.

Middle TN fall breaks are around Columbus Day, we're going to WDW. I'm expecting crowds, and just seems Disney is upping the daily capacity, and the short wait times will not be happening> Only doing 2 days at HS, and 2 days at Epcot, as we can walk to those parks from resort. If a miracle happens, and we get on Rise/Resistance first HS day , might try adn switch it, if there's any other park availability,. we'll see. HS is one of the family's favorite places, but not if all the lines are nuts all day.

Wow, I wonder if Disney increased capacity numbers. This week was previously all booked for HS and now there is availability every day.

Wow, I wonder if Disney increased capacity numbers. This week was previously all booked for HS and now there is availability every day.
Yes they increased numbers. They have been quietly increasing numbers weekly over the past few weeks. One of the blogs is tracking this trend and the increase has been done weekly usually on Thursdays. That was true this week as well. Columbus Day week was completely booked and then they increased capacity on Thursday and as of this morning all parks had availability every day but Friday.

We were booked for the Columbus Day weekend-early week, but some of the family couldn't make it, so we canceled.
I just re-booked today. The only location that had all the nights available was SS. We like the resort well enough, it's not a big deal.
We will just do one day in a park, most likely. We want to use our Lego passes, visit family, shop, chill, etc... I kinda want to do MK, but I'm getting the vibe the kids want any of the other parks.

I am expecting Columbus Day and the week after to be very busy, but still lower than compared to past years. In addition to the three day weekend many states have their fall breaks that week. I know Colorado does and that's the main reason we chose that week to come. We didn't want the kids missing school and from what we've hear the weather is great. We've never been so we're very excited to come!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!