Columbus Day in Disney

LDB

Earning My Ears
Would anyone know dates that Floriday schools get out for Columbus Day besides Monday, Oct 13th? I heard that this was a busy time and we would like to avoid it with our trip planned for Oct. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Leslie:confused: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce:

I do not know the date, as I live in NH, but maybe some of our Florida veterans can help you out! :)

Thanks Beanie! Any Florida residents out there and know when you all get out of school for Columbus Day?

Leslie:confused: :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I checked the Orlando public school web page and the Orlando public schools are off on Oct 16th and 17th. I don't know if this makes the parks busier or not. I'm not sure about the rest of the state. Of course I didn't check this until after I booked our trip!

Thanks Dizzie! Do you know why they are off the 15th and 16th? Columbus Day is Monday, Oct 13th. The 15th and 16th are a Wed and a Thurs. That is strange! When are you going and where are you staying?

Thanks,
Leslie:bounce: :Pinkbounc :smooth: :jester:

Yes, I heard it is very busy on Columbus Day weekend because of school being out. I read this on Disney dollarless. 2 people said that it was very crowded and they wanted those dates listed in with the busy time. Anybody else have any info?

Thanks again,
Leslie:) :smooth: :cool:

A lot of southern schools are NOT closed for Columbus Day. If they are closed normally it will just be for the one day.

I live in Alabama and we have a Fall Break which this year is October 6 - 10, the week before Columbus Day. Several other states also have a Fall Break around the first of October. We've been the past 2 years and it hasn't been too crowded - definitely nothing like Spring Break! - but, it's not a really slow time either.

Hi,
We are planning a quick, "unplanned for" trip in October and would like to go on Columbus Day weekend, but I'm still uncertain as to how manageable the crowds are going to be and what strategies we would use if we go that weekend? So I am bumping this to the top again with a few more questions.

For example, we just got back from a 10 day trip beginning May 18 and going through Memorial Day-- is the crowd going to be more like what it was before Memorial day-- lines, some crowds, but very manageable if go early, etc.?

How do the fall breaks in the south affect attendance-- do enough tend to do Disney then that the crowds increase?

Any thoughts on how the FTP and other deals will increase travel that weekend?

I read in some tour book not to do Magic Kingdom on Saturday during October? Does anyone have any experience with that?

Any thoughts on the crowd for October 10 MNSSHP?

Thanks, Diane

The Orlando public schools are NOT closed for Columbus Day. The kids are out Thursday the 16th and Friday the 17th, and the teachers are out Friday the 17th only.

In Tampa, the schools are on early release on Friday, Oct. 9th, but are in session on Monday -- Columbus Day. They, too, are closed for a professional day on Friday the 17th.

It looks like the crowds come from out of the area.

Our schools, also, have Fall Break during that time -- although we used to be at the end of September, and I liked that more -- the parks were EMPTY.

I think a lot of schools might be out Friday the 17th because we're going the 16-21 and a lot of my little cousins are out on the 17th and wanted to come with us. We're taking my 5yo cousin(from Ohio) and my fiancé's 15 yo brother (New Orleans) since neither have school that day and have half days the 16th.

Thanks for the responses. I figure if the crowds are like what we encountered when we were there in May, not withstanding Memorial Day, we will still have lots of fun. Thanks, Diane

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter