Columbus Day weekend

jhoannam

Planner-aholic
How were the crowds last weekend? 10/12-10/14... we were in San Diego vacationing last weekend and the crowds at the Zoo parks were super light, but we are considering Disneyland for next year same weekend.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...ays-between-10-5-19-through-10-13-19.3773629/
Read through this thread. They were pretty bad. I went on Columbus day this year. I knew it was going to be packed, but holy moly! We did all the rides we wanted because we started at 8am and used maxpass. But walking around, food lines, bathroom lines, and backed up fastpass lines were hard to deal with. Unless I have more friends or family coming into town that weekend, I wouldn't even go lol.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...ays-between-10-5-19-through-10-13-19.3773629/
Read through this thread. They were pretty bad. I went on Columbus day this year. I knew it was going to be packed, but holy moly! We did all the rides we wanted because we started at 8am and used maxpass. But walking around, food lines, bathroom lines, and backed up fastpass lines were hard to deal with. Unless I have more friends or family coming into town that weekend, I wouldn't even go lol.
OMG 😳 thank you, won’t be going there next year. My next hope is that the 10/9/20 cruise gets military discount.

That weekend coincided with fall break for AZ and part of NV. So there were some schools on holiday for CA, federal employees on holiday, other states having breaks, etc. -- and it felt like EVERYONE headed for DLR! You can still have fun with a good plan and strategy, but it can be challenging. October is a very busy (and super fun) time at DLR.

How were the crowds last weekend? 10/12-10/14... we were in San Diego vacationing last weekend and the crowds at the Zoo parks were super light, but we are considering Disneyland for next year same weekend.

DO NOT GO THAT WEEKEND OR THE WEEK BEFORE! Omg 🤦‍♀️ There are just other times to go.... I’m a super planner and even I was struggling. When there are that many people, sometimes all best laid plans go sideways. I may never convince my husband go ever go back in October again! 😂

DO NOT GO THAT WEEKEND OR THE WEEK BEFORE!...
The weekend before was Gay Days, an unofficial convention that happens every year at that time. That convention brings in at least 40,000 guests to the parks. There are big events (unofficial) throughout October, in addition to the increasingly popular Halloween Time in the parks. For anyone planning a trip during September and October, we have threads discussing these events and their effect on the parks.

The weekend before was Gay Days, an unofficial convention that happens every year at that time. That convention brings in at least 40,000 guests to the parks. There are big events (unofficial) throughout October, in addition to the increasingly popular Halloween Time in the parks. For anyone planning a trip during September and October, we have threads discussing these events and their effect on the parks.

I was referring to the fall breaks and Columbus Day in particular. We had no choice but to go Columbus Day. That’s when my mom was here from Texas. But I’ll never go again!

I was referring to the fall breaks and Columbus Day in particular. We had no choice but to go Columbus Day. That’s when my mom was here from Texas. But I’ll never go again!
And for others who have no choice but to plan for those dates, my point was not to panic or despair, but to know that a good trip is doable. It will definitely take more planning than normal, but the resources are available and there are many experienced DISers here who are willing to help. The big events in October just keep rolling one right into the next. But if that is the only time that someone can visit, better to go into it well prepared than to just give up and never come.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, we stopped going to WDW that same weekend because of the crowds there. It seems like a lot of school districts are now having fall break and with the perfect October weather everyone goes to the parks.

We’ll either try to do a Cruise or maybe something totally different and go to Yellowstone that week.

Thanks everyone, we stopped going to WDW that same weekend because of the crowds there. It seems like a lot of school districts are now having fall break and with the perfect October weather everyone goes to the parks.

We’ll either try to do a Cruise or maybe something totally different and go to Yellowstone that week.
LOL our responses probably scared you. Despite the large crowds, we did have fun. And what @theluckyrabbit said going in with a good plan during the time of year does help. So if you do decide to go, follow the threads on the boards, so you get an idea of what is happening in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter