Combining points from different home resorts

JulialovesDisney

Earning My Ears
I am looking at purchasing direct from Disney at the RIveria Resort. I was then thinking of purchasing additional points on the re-sale market but I do not understand when I can combine them. Can anyone explain? I guess I cannot combine them until 7 months out since you can only use home resort points at 11 month? OR as long as I have points at the home resort can I combine and use both points at 11 months?

You can transfer from one contract to another for a reservation at the 7 month mark (you can transfer at any time but can't use them until the 7 month mark). If you have the same use year, the process is pretty seamless, if not you'll have to call MS to complete the reservation. I have two use years and really wish I only had one, its not a huge deal but it would make like a little easier. As it is, I have one contract at AKL that I just consider a separate pool of points from the rest. My June use year has 4 resorts and it's easy-peasy.

I am looking at purchasing direct from Disney at the RIveria Resort. I was then thinking of purchasing additional points on the re-sale market but I do not understand when I can combine them. Can anyone explain? I guess I cannot combine them until 7 months out since you can only use home resort points at 11 month? OR as long as I have points at the home resort can I combine and use both points at 11 months?

Points retain their home Resort status so if you bought more points at a different resort you could only use them at that resort for 11-7 months. At 7 months then you could use them anywhere. Owning multiple resorts does not change that.

If you bought more Riviera points resale, you could use them all at 11 months out for Riviera. They wouldn't be good for the 14 Legacy resort at seven months out, only at Riviera if they were resale points. That's the new rule with Riviera.

Can someone explain the 14 legacy resort change?
If you purchase any of the legacy 14 DVC resorts resale, not Riviera, you will only be able to book at those 14 resorts during the 7 month window. If you have a Riviera resale, those points can only be used at Riviera.

To summarize what the others have posted:

Be sure that you buy enough Riviera points to cover your anticipated stays at the Riviera. You will not be able to use any resale points to pay for a stay at the Riviera (unless the resale contract is for the Riviera. Understand that there are unlikely to be Riviera resale contracts available for a few years.)

You may not combine points from different home resorts at 11 months. When your 7 month window opens, you will be able to combine your Riviera direct points with any resale points you purchase for the currently existing DVC resorts (aka L14). Combining will be easiest if the use year of the Riviera contract matches the use year of the resale contract(s) you purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter