Coming back after 7 yr absence

Kaz65

Mouseketeer
Having started our love affair with Disney on Honeymoon in 2000 we made the trip in 2007 (with our son), 2009 & finally in 2011. It looks like much has changed now we are planning our return for 2018 with a 16 yr old in tow! Disney Dining looks complicated & looks like you have to buy park tickets now to access - is that right? We've always chosen a flex ticket in past to visit other non-D parks. Appreciate any advice and btw is WayneG still active???

Following this thread, our last visit was 2012 and we're also headed back next year. I'm sure a lot has changed since we were last there!

Snap. I am heading back this September after 6 years. Last visit in 2011. From my research a lot has changed mainly fast pass plus!

I got some great advice watch the vids on YouTube - how to beat the crowds at animal kingdom.

The guy has loads of videos on his channel and they are very informative!

Phil

I would like to congratulate you on being able to stay away for 7 years :rolleyes1

The main thing you'll probably realise has changed is the cost...not for the better but it is worth every penny imo.

I think you can buy the dining plans oop. If want the 'free' dining plan you need to buy a package inc park tickets for next year. We did that last time and it was very easy ( I was sceptical at first ) to use also great to have some 'healthier' food options. We loved having the food payed for in advance and have booked again for next year. It definitely worked out cost effective for us, for 4 of us we estimated we 'spent' £2000 on food on the dining plan :)

Disney Dining looks complicated & looks like you have to buy park tickets now to access

Not sure to understand this bit. If you want to access a restaurant inside the parks you need a ticket, but it has always been this way. If you mean that to book restaurants you need to have a reservation and ticket attached to it, then no, it's not true.
Now you do your restaurants and Fast Pass Plus reservations using MyDisneyExperience app or website. If you stay in one of the Disney hotels, then you can book restaurants 180 days in advance from the arrival day and for all your stay. If not, then you can book 180 days in advance day by day. So staying onsite give you a little advantage that can be important only for a few restaurants (and not every day of the year), but you can still book them.
In order to book FP+, instead, you need to have tickets attached to your account. You can book 60+ days in advance for all the stay if you stay onsite, 30 days otherwise. This 30+ days advantage is VERY important for a few rides, like Frozen and Flight of Passage.

thanks everyone. It has been a bit of a shock getting my head around price increases and lots of changes but we still going to go for it. Reducing on site stay to 5 days though. Just trying to decide between CBR (under construction so maybe not!) or OKW which was where we stayed last time and great for DTD (which I believe is now called Disney Springs?) Looks like Disney Quest now closed though so boys will be disappointed

We were shocked when we saw the price increase from last year alone! Lol

Disney Quest closed yesterday (?) and I believe it's going to be an NBA interactive thing??

I am still here but no plans to return to WDW in the near future. 1st year we have missed since 1999. Last few years we have had some amazing road trips so doing more of them. In a few weeks going to Cali, starting with 3 nights in DL the a big tour around Cali, San Fran, Napa, Yosemite, Sequoia, Vancover, DCL cruise and San Diego.
After about 40 trips to WDW we just feel as though we need to go elsewhere for a while. I keep looking at prices for next year but doubt we will do it, 2 weeks at OKW with "free" DDP = over £5,000 for room & food, same deal a few years back cost me about £1,500.
Good to see you posting again :)

I am still here but no plans to return to WDW in the near future. 1st year we have missed since 1999. Last few years we have had some amazing road trips so doing more of them. In a few weeks going to Cali, starting with 3 nights in DL the a big tour around Cali, San Fran, Napa, Yosemite, Sequoia, Vancover, DCL cruise and San Diego.
After about 40 trips to WDW we just feel as though we need to go elsewhere for a while. I keep looking at prices for next year but doubt we will do it, 2 weeks at OKW with "free" DDP = over £5,000 for room & food, same deal a few years back cost me about £1,500.

Have a great time Wayne, we've done a couple tours of California and love it there

Have a great time Wayne, we've done a couple tours of California and love it there
Thanks, this will be our 3rd time to Cali but never been north of Los Angeles before, lots of new places to visit :)

Thanks and I agree Wayne the prices are crazy. We are only going to stay on site for 5 nights then explore further afield. Thinking we will fly back home from Miami and take a trip along the coastline as never done that before.

Thanks and I agree Wayne the prices are crazy. We are only going to stay on site for 5 nights then explore further afield. Thinking we will fly back home from Miami and take a trip along the coastline as never done that before.
If cost is an issue, I recommend paying out of pocket for food instead of purchasing the dining plan. Buying the dining plan is now more expensive than just paying out of pocket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter