Commercials with Asian male and white female

I was stationed in Okinawa for three years and Korea for two, and it was very common to see male sailors or soldiers with Asian (from Asia) wives. It was way less common to see female sailors with Asian (from Asia) husbands.

I haven't, but Brian Tee is particularly to my taste. Lol. Anyone who thinks Asian men aren't masculine or Asian women are submissive doesn't know many Asians.

I like seeing interracial couples portrayed as nothing special since I'm one half of an interracial couple. I'm a WASP from Texas and my dh is from India by way of Nigeria. The only disapproval we've encountered has been from his family.

Have you seen the movie Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift?

Brian Tee? and Sung Kang

All I remember of him was Jurassic World. The name just sort of stood out when I saw the credits especially since the character had a Japanese name. So I looked it up - and Korean-Japanese ancestry but I guess "Tee" just represents his last initial after he got rejected for his Japanese family name. And a Cal grad to boot.

But there is a distinction between Asian cinema that obviously has no issue with Asian males being strong, confident characters vs American/European movies showing emasculated Asian men. I guess there is the strong, macho Asian male, but not necessarily where he's seen as a romantic figure. The thing that stood out to be about this Samsung ad was that it wasn't this take no prisoners guy who could take out a small army with his martial arts skills or with a machine gun, but an ordinary looking guy who gets the girl by being sweet but without being weak.

Now that I'm really thinking about I live in the northeast coast and interracial coupling is common. However, it's always seeing a white man with a black woman or an asian man with anyone else other than an asian woman that are less common.

That's been my experience living in the Northeast for over 33 years. I've seen all kings of interracial couplings but the ones you mention are the least common.

I'm of mixed race married to someone else of mixed race. Maybe that's why I tend to notice and why threads like this interest me. I've also been called annoyingly observant.

I tend to be observant of these things. It's not that I find anything wrong about it, but that popular culture seems to shy away from it. There are some more overtly political discussions on this topic, but I'll stay away from that. However, I do sense that the white male/Asian female depiction is more acceptable by the overall American public than the other way around. Certainly in the real America isn't not uncommon. I've read that perhaps 40% of Asian-American women are involved in interracial relationships and 30% of Asian males are. However, in popular culture and TV commercials I see more white male/Asian female couples than even Asian male/Asian female couples (which are still the predominant pairing). And something like this Samsung commercial is exceedingly rare.

I'm of mixed race married to someone else of mixed race. Maybe that's why I tend to notice and why threads like this interest me. I've also been called annoyingly observant.

I don't ever think of it but many of my friends are of mixed races or in mixed raced marriages. Maybe you live in a predominantly Caucasian area where it's uncommon. We live in a very large multicultural city where few seem to care or notice. My husband has said that some day the entire world will be beige. I hope it's true because I'm of the opinion that being overly or annoyingly observant of the colour of one's skin or race unnecessary and a distraction of who a person really is.

I'm an hour out of NYC. :)

Interracial relationships aren't unique at all by me. If you saw one of my other posts, it's "certain" combinations that just are very less frequent than others.

And I do wish that it was so common place that nothing was noticeable. But like a movie like the Big Sick, I don't see many Indian (technically Asian) men with white women.

I'm an hour out of NYC. :)

Interracial relationships aren't unique at all by me. If you saw one of my other posts, it's "certain" combinations that just are very less frequent than others.

And I do wish that it was so common place that nothing was noticeable. But like a movie like the Big Sick, I don't see many Indian (technically Asian) men with white women.

My best friend of more than thirty years is white and married to an East Indian so I do see lots of that. Their children are of Chinese decent.

I'm mostly Asian and my wife is half Black. I don't see that too often around here.

I don't ever think of it but many of my friends are of mixed races or in mixed raced marriages. Maybe you live in a predominantly Caucasian area where it's uncommon. We live in a very large multicultural city where few seem to care or notice. My husband has said that some day the entire world will be beige. I hope it's true because I'm of the opinion that being overly or annoyingly observant of the colour of one's skin or race unnecessary and a distraction of who a person really is.

And that's pretty common in my area. I don't make that much of it, but it was just an observation of how rare this type of relationship is reflected in popular culture and especially in TV commercials. South Park may have gotten it right when they showed refugees from the future who all have a uniform appearance and skin color as a result of centuries where people became a uniform mix of all races.

1968a.jpg

I kind of wondered why Star Trek seemed to show a future where most humans in Starfleet are Caucasian. Spock was about it, and he wasn't 100% human. They seemed to be constrained to the base of actors they had. They got some flak for the first interracial kiss on TV. And there was some controversy over I Love Lucy I recall. They started showing more mixed-race pairings in subsequent iterations of the Star Trek franchise, but I remember one mixed-race actress on Star Trek: TNG and thought it might have been the first time I'd seen that anywhere in the Star Trek universe.

Crazy Ex Girlfriend's main romantic (sometimes) is made up of a white woman and an Asian man. Also on The Walking Dead had a lead Asian male in a relationship with a white woman.

They are on TV. Maybe just not on the shows you watch though.

And that's pretty common in my area. I don't make that much of it, but it was just an observation of how rare this type of relationship is reflected in popular culture and especially in TV commercials. South Park may have gotten it right when they showed refugees from the future who all have a uniform appearance and skin color as a result of centuries where people became a uniform mix of all races.

1968a.jpg

I kind of wondered why Star Trek seemed to show a future where most humans in Starfleet are Caucasian. Spock was about it, and he wasn't 100% human. They seemed to be constrained to the base of actors they had. They got some flak for the first interracial kiss on TV. And there was some controversy over I Love Lucy I recall. They started showing more mixed-race pairings in subsequent iterations of the Star Trek franchise, but I remember one mixed-race actress on Star Trek: TNG and thought it might have been the first time I'd seen that anywhere in the Star Trek universe.

South Park is a smart show. My kids introduced me to it as I rarely watch tv.

Hollywood is stuck in the 50's and is still being run by old white men who have way too much money and power. They play by their own antiquated rules.

I like seeing interracial couples portrayed as nothing special since I'm one half of an interracial couple. I'm a WASP from Texas and my dh is from India by way of Nigeria. The only disapproval we've encountered has been from his family.

My friend's husband is of East Indian decent born in Kenya. He's actually never been to India and he's been here for more than 40 years.

Again - no problem with interracial couples on my end, but I just find it a curiosity when I see it in popular culture since it seems to be so rare. I had a friend in high school who was of Indian ancestry but born in Nigeria. Interesting where he went through, including spending time at an international school (taught by mostly Australians) in Papua New Guinea and then in Australia before his entire family moved to the US and he enrolled in a public school. Strange too since he spoke English with a slight Australian accent.

We took a side trip from Disneyland a few years ago to visit a friend of my wife's from grad school. I remember the exact day - it was the day of the Asiana Airlines crash at SFO. However, her friend was originally from China and her husband was of Indian ancestry but born and raised in Qatar. It made for some interesting discussion because we all had varied backgrounds that made for starting points for a good conversation and none of it was negative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!