Commercials with Asian male and white female

It's been a while since I've been in college, but back then the dynamic was still where it was more likely to see Asian girl with white guy than the other way around. It was also far more likely to be accepted, even in a liberal college town than the other way around, which would attract stares.

Even back when I was in high school, there were some depictions in popular culture. I guess Long Duk Dong in Sixteen Candles was highly cringeworthy. But the one I remember was 21 Jump Street, where they showed such relationships as normal.

Yes, I don't think you're wrong. The asian female with the white male is absolutely more commonly seen than the white female/asian male pairing.

Just WHY does this matter..... :sad2:

Nobody can claim that race does not matter if they are the ones who seem to be bringing it up, and or, playing the race card.

Just WHY does this matter..... :sad2:

Nobody can claim that race does not matter if they are the ones who seem to be bringing it up, and or, playing the race card.

Certainly it's not true that race doesn't matter. I think the dynamic is whether or not such a depiction bothers someone (doesn't for me). What does bother many is that such depictions aren't necessarily seen and for what reasons if they have to do with stereotypes and prejudices.

I look at an actress like Ming-Na Wen. I've seen a bit of her work, but not all. I don't recall a single on-screen relationship that they showed any of her characters with an Asian male (save Mulan where she's only doing voice). But in real life she's married to a Chinese-American guy. There's a pretty massive disconnect between reality and Hollywood relationships. Sure there are all sorts of relationships in real life, but Hollywood is extremely selective in what they show.

Yes, I don't think you're wrong. The asian female with the white male is absolutely more commonly seen than the white female/asian male pairing.

Certainly more common, but the latter is hardly uncommon. That's what I'm getting at - that Hollywood and US commercials commonly use the former, but rarely demonstrate the latter. It's a bit over one-third of Asian females and about one-sixth of Asian males. That's not really reflected in popular culture depictions where it seems like the former is 10 times more likely to be depicted than the latter, and often as some sort of joke showing that it's supposed to be unusual instead of normal.

I guess this one was from a few years ago.

We all know why. It’s the same reason black ladies stay with black men. If you don’t know why sorry I can’t tell you got to stay dis friendly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!