Committed to Disney for life (literally): Our family’s Riviera purchase

A2DisneyMom

The brand, the brand, the brand
The short version, 5 person 1 bedroom (finally!), room flexibility, Epcot, DHS, food and WINE!

The background:
We’re a family of 4 (mom, dad & two elementary aged boys). We’re Disney people and average about 2 trips per year. AP holders, TIW, Disney VISA, all of that. Been investigating DVC for a while, including stays (cash, rented points) at AKL, Poly, CCV & BWV (multiple times). Have yet to hit “peak” Disney. Summary: DVC makes sense for us.

The economics:
DVC ownership was in the cards for a while, but we wanted to wait until we had the means to avoid long-term financing. We still have a healthy mortgage on our house and don’t need another on our vacations. Through work, we have enough banked miles to cover one vacation per year until our eldest graduates high school (crazy, I know). We’re apart more than we would like, Disney brings us together. For us, DVC is about continued vacations and time together. Summary: A resort that fits our family over time was weighted over resale value.

The decision:
Really hard. We haven’t stayed at a DVC resort we didn’t love and didn’t consider buying at. I’ve been captivated by Poly theming since I was a kid, the dining options and vibe at AKL are my favorite, the CCV rooms are stunning, the location of BWV is our favorite. In the end, despite Riviera initially being a firm “no” for me, we ended up realizing it was the right fit for us. How? BWV ends just as we will be retiring, our kids (maybe) having kids, etc. This was a concern for us. CCV and AKL are not the best location for us. Poly kills us with the lack of a 1br. The 4-person 1 bdr in a resort with 5-person studios mystifies me in general. My children already don’t sleep well together (especially in a sofa bed and while on vacation). We found Rivieria is actually poised to offer all of this to us; a location second to BWV, dining options maybe even better than AKL (especially if factoring in WS), a 1 bdr (to us) just as stunning as CCV—with 3 sleeping spaces and 5 person capacity. The tower studio pied-a-terre option is also appealing (booked for adults only F&W next fall, baby!).

The action:
We bought a 155 point contract direct over the summer. A second contract will be added within the next 1-2 years, maybe at Riviera, maybe resale at another resort. Our experience at Riviera will dictate this. We’re actually checking into a 1 bdr next week (Disney VISA discount). Hopefully we love it as much as we think we will. We’ll be sure to report back!

Thanks for reading!

We had the same considerations as you. We love the Epcot area resorts but the fact that the contracts end just as my kids will most likely be having school aged kiddos themselves makes it not really workable. The Riviera rooms are spacious and even the deluxe studio is pretty roomy (from our visit). We just bought in ourselves but we'll probably add on eventually. :) Congratulations!!

DVC is a solid product, IMHO, for those who think out the economics and family needs. We are a family of 5 and did a similar analysis for AKV. The sleeper chair in AKV standard allowed us to stay comfortably in a 1BR for a reasonable amount of points. We chose AKV over OKW (only ones with sleeper chairs at the time of purchase) because of theming and longer contract, but we frequently use AKV points to stay at OKW as well. congrats!

Congrats on the new purchase! Please share your thoughts after your stay. I’m sure you’ll love it.

Thank you so much for all of your warm welcomes and kind thoughts! I am beyond excited to visit Riviera and provide honest (and detailed) observations and impressions.

Tonight is packing night so the countdown is officially on! Speaking of countdowns, Happy New Year to you all! I wish you a joyous holiday.

Congrats!!!
We also just purchased our first contract at Riviera. Unfortunately we wont be visiting til November. Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Thank you so much for all of your warm welcomes and kind thoughts! I am beyond excited to visit Riviera and provide honest (and detailed) observations and impressions.

Tonight is packing night so the countdown is officially on! Speaking of countdowns, Happy New Year to you all! I wish you a joyous holiday.

Thank you for this post! We are a family of 5 (1 infant and 2 moody teen girls) who purchased Riviera in April after a very cramped and loud experience at Pop.
I had toured CC last year and wanted into DVC badly, but the size of the rooms just didn’t vibe with me. When we toured Riviera we fell in love. We bought 250 points to go big with a 2 bedroom every year.

We are also checking into Riviera tomorrow! If you see us say hi! Look for the family with 2 teens with phones in their faces and a really cute 2 year old girl 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter