Common advice ignored

Naw we three won't split up we all will just take it slow. we will have a meet up area in case we get split up. There's only one ride he refuses to go on, that tot. My son and I will go on that.

Something I've never understood is purchasing the dining plan. It rarely seems to be a money saver for most folks. I've read posts where people say they want to be able to order whatever they want and not worry about the cost, but from my understanding, you'd have to order the most expensive thing on the menu to break even. It also doesn't match my eating style very well (I eat very lightly for breakfast, sometimes split meals with my travel companion, don't eat dessert at each meal, often would order an appetizer instead of an entree at dinner, don't always want a full meal when it's hot out, etc,). Plus you have to prepay for it as part of a package. It sure doesn't work for me! Maybe if I got free dining, but I sure wouldn't pay for it!

I find it really interesting how many different opinions there are about the exact same thing!

I do like the dollar store ponchos for water rides- splash and kali. I really hate my clothes being wet. So we ride a few times then toss them. But for a big rain, dollar store ponchos don't cut it.
We've also used the cheap ones for rides...and then, after riding have gone to the line of people waiting to see if anyone needs a poncho and passed it on to them. It's very much appreciated every time we've done that.

Something I've never understood is purchasing the dining plan. It rarely seems to be a money saver for most folks. I've read posts where people say they want to be able to order whatever they want and not worry about the cost, but from my understanding, you'd have to order the most expensive thing on the menu to break even. It also doesn't match my eating style very well (I eat very lightly for breakfast, sometimes split meals with my travel companion, don't eat dessert at each meal, often would order an appetizer instead of an entree at dinner, don't always want a full meal when it's hot out, etc,). Plus you have to prepay for it as part of a package. It sure doesn't work for me! Maybe if I got free dining, but I sure wouldn't pay for it!

I find it really interesting how many different opinions there are about the exact same thing!
We are in the same boat. We are going to do a split stay on our next trip and will have the dining plan for two nights, but find it easy to maximize the value that way. Some people find it more convenient than paying OOP, but I don't. That is part of the fun of Disney though, so many different ways to do things and very few are "wrong."

I agree with the purchasing of water bottles. I don't like the taste of Florida tap water to begin with and some people like myself in this world have the money to pay $3 per bottle and want to because of the convenience. I won't apologize for that. Plus, those who feel it's worth it to ask for tap water can continue to do so, so everyone is happy.

We've also never purchased the dining plan, it just never was a viable option for us. For some people, they just like not having to worry about it. From what I have read, dinning plans use to be a really good deal when they were introduced years ago and it becomes less so every year since.

Again, a lot of it depends on what kinds of deals/packages are available when you end up booking. We went last June and ended up with a Summer Meal deal, which was a great compromise for us, because it was 1 QS per day which gave us more freedom. In our case we were a group of 5 so we had 2 rooms at the POP and a few months later Disney offered a 25% off room deal. The 25% off deal ended up saving me close to $200 since I was the only person listed under my room. The quick service deal ended up being the better deal for them because they had 4 in their room and 28 “free” QS meals was a better deal.

Now let’s have some real fun and talk about the Park Hoppers, EMH, strollers at the park, bus vs. car, etc. I’m sure those topics wouldn’t create any disagreements. :rotfl2:

Last edited:

We got the dining plan the first several times we went and it was good for us because my husband will eat whatever you put in front of him (he works a physical job so he burns the calories!). Also, I wanted to be sure we tried the table meals and knew if I was paying OOP I would stress at the prices. I figured later that financially we broke even for the most part, especially with the buffet meals that my DD likes. We haven't done it on the last few trips, though, because we've either taken long weekends where I don't want to be tied to a reservation so we just do QS, or I've used my disney visa points to pay OOP and have saved that way.

we only buy the number of days we will enter the park,and the other days are our relaxing days...so no wasted money there- I prefer it that way over every day in a park..... it's just too tiring. for an 8 night visit we might go in the park 4-5 days.(and that's a lot for us on our upcoming trip)

That's exactly our plan for our upcoming WDW trip.

3 days park hopping at DLR almost killed us once (we are rope drop people), so I know better for us than to book multiple park days in a row!

I agree with the purchasing of water bottles. I don't like the taste of Florida tap water to begin with and some people like myself in this world have the money to pay $3 per bottle and want to because of the convenience. I won't apologize for that. Plus, those who feel it's worth it to ask for tap water can continue to do so, so everyone is happy.
You do know that when you ask for water at a quick service restaurant, it isn't "tap water," right?

I can't stand the smell (or flavor) of Orlando water. I hate to even brush my teeth with it.

But there is no smell or Orlando flavor in water from the soda machine.

You do know that when you ask for water at a quick service restaurant, it isn't "tap water," right?

I can't stand the smell (or flavor) of Orlando water. I hate to even brush my teeth with it.

No, I had no idea. My apologies. Regardless, I still prefer the taste and convenience of water bottles.

No, I had no idea. My apologies. Regardless, I still prefer the taste and convenience of water bottles.

What I do is to carry a bottle from my room. Then refill it from Quick Service.

But I have a scooter with a cup holder, so I don't have to carry it around.

Agree about the taste of water. I've always filled up a metal double walled Contigo mug, and bring flavored water packets/bottle before we leave for the parks. Sure it’s kind of a pain carrying it around with me, but we always have someone with a backpack and a stroller, so it’s not that big of a deal. The great thing about the mug is is keeps my water ice cold all day long and I’ll usually refill it at lunch/supper. Also, unlike a bottle, the mug doesn’t sweat, so my hands and items stay dry.

I’m also not against buying a bottle of water, from time to time, but if I’m spending cash, I’d be more likely to spend it on pop, for the much needed caffeine kick. We also go in mid June, so I really try to stay hydrated, and the mug with water in it helps me with that. I got dehydrated on our first trip in 2011 and I’ve vowed to never do that again.

Our next visit will be our first without strollers, so the bottle won’t be as convenient to carry, but I’ll probably continue using a backpack, since I’m the family photographer, anyways.

Last edited:

I don't agree. I can still taste it in the pop they mix together.

I'm wondering if Lyft is going to get in on this action and allow non-Minnie Van drivers/cars to serve the area.

Lyft already operates non-Minnie vans around the resort. I usually use them over Uber because I find them slightly cheaper.

I also don't go the ice water route. In addition to the comments made by PP about it taking awhile to wait in a CS for it, the two times I tried this "hack" I was given such a small cup of water I finished it in two sips. We'll usually bring two bottles per person into the parks, and purchase more as needed. Worth the money and ease.

No problems going through security with a Brita water bottle?? Going in June/July and this sounds like something we should do!
Nope, no issues at all. We’ve done that for our last 4 trips. We get carabiners and hook them to our bags so our hands are free.

No problems going through security with a Brita water bottle?? Going in June/July and this sounds like something we should do!
Unless something changes, Disney doesn't have a problem with food or beverages. (Except alcohol.)

I've packed and carried in a small cooler with two bottles of water, plus two bottles of soda. Next to it were a handful of different snacks.

We did the DP for years because otherwise, DW wouldn't order what she wanted on the menu, but only what was cheapest. I finally showed her how much more it cost us than how we would normally eat, and she agreed to try to ignore how much something cost and just enjoy eating! So now we get to eat at pubs, avoid breakfast, and only get snacks when we want them rather than loading up on them at the end to use up QS credits. However, if I notice her eating soup every night again, we'll be back on the DP forever!

Something I've never understood is purchasing the dining plan. It rarely seems to be a money saver for most folks.

We have done the dining plan in the past or if we do a split stay, but the last five years we have not. Something we found with the plan was we ate too much food, when we pay for our food we can get exactly what we want. Last time I only wanted a burger, no fries, they took $1.49 off the price of the meal! We also found out (years ago) that at most resort QS we bought two peices of toast for under $1.00 and they gave us butter, the jam was in the condiment area. A nice and quick breakfast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter