Common advice ignored

We did the dining plan when my kids were kids but now that they are Disney "adults" it isn't worth it. They are eaters who would rather graze through the day. My son actual eats better if I bring food that he likes into the parks with us. I liked the ease of the dining plan but it just isn't cost effective now that they are older. We still do TS meals but don't feel forced to get an actual drink (not just water) and a dessert.

We carry food and a few small water bottles into the park. We have never had a problem getting through security. We always have our backpack separated into plastic bags (clothes, ponchos, food, etc.) and it makes for an easy transition through security.

We always take small cheap ponchos. Both of my children hate them but they hate being wet even more! My son is in a wheelchair and it has a thick cushion that shouldn't get wet so having a poncho or something to cover is a must. I keep several extra in the room so that if we use them one day we toss them. Not money smart but the easiest.

My kids and I are fine with the water taste. I have taken powered packs before and used them but no one seems to mind.

And you're the reason Disney keeps plenty of carts well stocked with $3 bottles of water. ;)
I'm pretty sure that if they were the only ones to blame for that... they wouldn't be selling it for very long. Besides, like myself, I feel bad asking for free stuff. After all, it isn't free to them. They have to pay for the cup your using, the ice you are using, the water you are drinking and even the person that hands you the cup. My philosophy is, if I can't afford a bottle of cold water, I probably should be staying home and watching TV instead.

I'm pretty sure that if they were the only ones to blame for that... they wouldn't be selling it for very long. Besides, like myself, I feel bad asking for free stuff. After all, it isn't free to them. They have to pay for the cup your using, the ice you are using, the water you are drinking and even the person that hands you the cup. My philosophy is, if I can't afford a bottle of cold water, I probably should be staying home and watching TV instead.

I have no problem with people buying bottled water, heck I buy a few bottles of water at the parks every trip, but I’ll never feel bad asking for “free stuff”. While your correct, it isn’t technically free for them, it’s awfully close to it. Also, unless something has changed, they are not paying for the cups you use, Coca-Cola is.

It’s actually very smart for Disney to offer “free water” at the quick service locations. The reality is most people don’t realize they do it and they are better off losing a fraction of a cent, than having people get dehydrated. We usually don’t go out of our way getting the water, but we will get it when we purchase something at a quick service locations and fill up our water bottles before we leave. We also go in mid-June so it’s important to stay hydrated.

It’s not a matter of not being able to afford a bottle of water, it's a matter of using a service that they provide. If you feel uncomfortable getting free water and you want to buy water at the park that’s great :thumbsup2, but to imply that people taking advantage of a service The parks are doing it because they can’t afford a bottle of water is silly. the truth is, Disney’s gonna get that $3 I would spend on a bottle of cold water from me anyways. :rotfl2:

I have no problem with people buying bottled water, heck I buy a few bottles of water at the parks every trip, but I’ll never feel bad asking for “free stuff”. While your correct, it isn’t technically free for them, it’s awfully close to it. Also, unless something has changed, they are not paying for the cups you use, Coca-Cola is.

It’s actually very smart for Disney to offer “free water” at the quick service locations. The reality is most people don’t realize they do it and they are better off losing a fraction of a cent, than having people get dehydrated. We usually don’t go out of our way getting the water, but we will get it when we purchase something at a quick service locations and fill up our water bottles before we leave. We also go in mid-June so it’s important to stay hydrated.

It’s not a matter of not being able to afford a bottle of water, it's a matter of using a service that they provide. If you feel uncomfortable getting free water and you want to buy water at the park that’s great :thumbsup2, but to imply that people taking advantage of a service The parks are doing it because they can’t afford a bottle of water is silly. the truth is, Disney’s gonna get that $3 I would spend on a bottle of cold water from me anyways. :rotfl2:

What you say is "somewhat" true, but, the fantasy that Disney gets stuff free, just doesn't make sense. Disney would be one of Coke's biggest individual customers. They don't give away things anymore then Disney does. If everything were as free as people tend to try and make us believe, Coke would be happy to hand over that expensive lack of profit to Pepsi. I'm sure they don't pay much and that Disney and Coke share the expense, but, free... Coke didn't get to be as big as they are by giving their product away. They don't even have the incentive of introducing Coke products to the world via Disney. Coke was around quite a while before there ever were any Disney parks.

To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that people that got the free stuff couldn't afford to buy the water, just that they are to frugal to spend the money and will cause themselves all kinds of hassle to save a couple of bucks. When I am on vacation I take the words of J. Paul Getty to heart**. "If you have to ask how much something costs, you can't afford it." Probably explains why I never got rich, but, no one knew if I was a millionaire or living in a refrigerator box under a freeway bridge.

It brings to mind the number of people that used to, if not still do, park at Disney Springs and suffered the issue of switching buses at resorts wasting all kinds of precious park time to save $15.00 for parking. People are amusing. As far as that $3 saved that would be spent someplace else with Disney. That needs a reality check as well. If you spent the $3 for water you would still spend an additional $3 for whatever else you wanted. They don't gain anything by giving away anything. They would have gotten $6 instead of $3. JMHO!
I think it was J. Paul, but, it might have been John D., either one, it is a true statement.

My family all have thermo flask water bottles that we fill-up with mostly ice and some water and just get cups of water from the quick services. It's great when you are on a set budget.

I just going to go out on a limb and guess that you aren't buying that bottled water for a family of 5 or 6 (at $3 a pop).

I just going to go out on a limb and guess that you aren't buying that bottled water for a family of 5 or 6 (at $3 a pop).
I have 5 in my family and we drink a LOT of water a day to stay hydrated in the summer. I can not imagine spending over $100 per day on water on our 8-10 days trips. That would be insane! We get water delivered to the resort, get free water in the parks, buy water in the parks and use our mugs. I do not think that it is silly to do all of those things to keep my family in good health.

I have Disney ponchos and I do carry them with me, and I have extra baggies in my bag to put them in if we have to use them. That being said, I prefer a poncho as the bag I carry will fit under the poncho but will not fit under a rain jacket. While on a Disney cruise in 2015 it was raining so hard for our Dog sled excursion, Disney was handing our ponchos and I grabbed a couple and they made sure that we had enough so I believe I received 4... I do not like umbrellas at all. I have been poked in the head and nearly an eye by people not watching where they are going or come to a dead stop when walking. As for the free ice water, I love it, as I carry a wide mouth container to pour it in and I add crystal light to give me the boost I need but not the calories...Just my thoughts..

Last edited:
No, i'm not, but, I don't understand why because you made the choice to have a large family someone else should be giving you stuff. I know it would be expensive, but, you plan for it. There is nothing in WDW that isn't expensive? However, all I said was that I cannot bring myself to do that, if you want too, it's fine with me and I'm sure that they will never stop giving out free water. You're fine with it, I, personally, am not. Do whatever makes you happy.

No, i'm not, but, I don't understand why because you made the choice to have a large family someone else should be giving you stuff. I know it would be expensive, but, you plan for it. There is nothing in WDW that isn't expensive? However, all I said was that I cannot bring myself to do that, if you want too, it's fine with me and I'm sure that they will never stop giving out free water. You're fine with it, I, personally, am not. Do whatever makes you happy.
It's a drink of water in the hot humid Florida weather. It's way better than letting tourists drop like flies from dehydration. It's not about entitlement. It's just good PR.

TBH I don't think it's all about not affording. Truly if you are strapped on cash you may switch out something for water if it was the only option and you were trying to stay hydrated. But I think it's more related to not wanting to spend the money each and every time. I couldn't tell you how much water I drank but 90% of my liquids on my trip were water. I have no qualms about drinking the water Disney gives me of their own choice. Universal does it as well. Neither has to as far as I know and can you imagine them doing it if it truly hit them profit-wise? I mean they could still and just call it loss-leader but I honestly doubt it's hitting their pockets to the point where it's truly a hardship for them as a company.

Now I can understand it's your opinion that you don't like to take up the free offerings just don't assume that people who do "can't afford it". Regardless it can add up quickly no matter how many people are in your traveling party but it's even more of a hit to those who have a decent size to their traveling party.

*Traveling party means just that. It doesn't mean just mom dad and their kids. It's whoever you are traveling with.

It's a drink of water in the hot humid Florida weather. It's way better than letting tourists drop like flies from dehydration. It's not about entitlement. It's just good PR.

@mom2rtk I completely agree with this. It's good smart PR on Disney's and I'm sure the benefits, or potential benefits, of it far out-way whatever costs incurred.

@goofyernmost I'm the one who initially responded to your first post and just wanted to make it clear that I have no issues with you not feeling comfortable asking for free stuff. If you prefer to buy bottled water in the parks, that's great. That said, I was bothered by the fact that it seems as if you really have an issue with people getting free water.

My philosophy is, if I can't afford a bottle of cold water, I probably should be staying home and watching TV instead.
To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that people that got the free stuff couldn't afford to buy the water, just that they are to frugal to spend the money and will cause themselves all kinds of hassle to save a couple of bucks. When I am on vacation I take the words of J. Paul Getty to heart**. "If you have to ask how much something costs, you can't afford it." Probably explains why I never got rich, but, no one knew if I was a millionaire or living in a refrigerator box under a freeway bridge.

If I'm reading your comments incorrectly, I apologize, but why does it bother you so much that Disney offers free water at the parks and some people take them up on it? It doesn't hurt you in any way, shape or form. As far as getting the free water goes, at least in our case, it has never really been a hassle. When we order food at a quick service we ask for free water and they give it to us. Or, if we have an extra minute or two, we get water at a quick service location, or ask for it if we are picking up a snack. We're just taking advantage of a service that they offer and at least in our case we appreciate that they do offer it.

@mom2rtk I completely agree with this. It's good smart PR on Disney's and I'm sure the benefits, or potential benefits, of it far out-way whatever costs incurred.
@goofyernmost I'm the one who initially responded to your first post and just wanted to make it clear that I have no issues with you not feeling comfortable asking for free stuff. If you prefer to buy bottled water in the parks, that's great. That said, I was bothered by the fact that it seems as if you really have an issue with people getting free water.
If I'm reading your comments incorrectly, I apologize, but why does it bother you so much that Disney offers free water at the parks and some people take them up on it? It doesn't hurt you in any way, shape or form. As far as getting the free water goes, at least in our case, it has never really been a hassle. When we order food at a quick service we ask for free water and they give it to us. Or, if we have an extra minute or two, we get water at a quick service location, or ask for it if we are picking up a snack. We're just taking advantage of a service that they offer and at least in our case we appreciate that they do offer it.
Well, you and everyone else is reading it wrong. I have no issue with any of you getting free water, or if you could figure out how to do it, free soda, free coffee and free Mickey Bars. The defensiveness is three feet thick around here. I said that I didn't feel good about doing that and I listed the reasons why. If those reasons that I know are the base for my not feeling comfortable do not ring legit to others, that is not my problem. However, I was having a conversation with people and expressing my stand on the situation. If you or anyone orders food at a quick service then I wouldn't have a problem with free water either, but, that is with a meal. I don't want to and it would embarrass me to go in and ask for ice water and then walk out the door and continue touring. That is me and I was expressing me and why I felt that way. What the rest of you do, I do not care even a little. I didn't call anyone names for doing it, I just expressed that I wouldn't and why. That is the other side of the story. I cannot help if it doesn't line up with the way others feel, it just doesn't.

Some of the other things I said were just connected to the discussion. The one that said, I don't have 5 or 6 family members to buy water for at $3.00 a bottle. I asked why their decision to have a big family means that someone else gets to pay for their hydration. I used to have 4 to buy for, still never thought that getting the free stuff was the way to go. There were other options like buying water and having it brought to your room at a cheaper rate. Or if you stayed offsite buy it at Publix or Walmart or Target and carry it in. or use the fountains that are all over the parks, the purpose is hydration not pleasure. Cold water does not hydrate more thoroughly then warm water. As much as so many refuse to accept that Disney is a highly successful business and taking care of your physical health is something we are all entitled too, I just think that is wrong. But that is me... everyone else just be whatever you want to be.

Well, you and everyone else is reading it wrong. I have no issue with any of you getting free water, or if you could figure out how to do it, free soda, free coffee and free Mickey Bars. The defensiveness is three feet thick around here. I said that I didn't feel good about doing that and I listed the reasons why. If those reasons that I know are the base for my not feeling comfortable do not ring legit to others, that is not my problem. However, I was having a conversation with people and expressing my stand on the situation. If you or anyone orders food at a quick service then I wouldn't have a problem with free water either, but, that is with a meal. I don't want to and it would embarrass me to go in and ask for ice water and then walk out the door and continue touring. That is me and I was expressing me and why I felt that way. What the rest of you do, I do not care even a little. I didn't call anyone names for doing it, I just expressed that I wouldn't and why. That is the other side of the story. I cannot help if it doesn't line up with the way others feel, it just doesn't.

Some of the other things I said were just connected to the discussion. The one that said, I don't have 5 or 6 family members to buy water for at $3.00 a bottle. I asked why their decision to have a big family means that someone else gets to pay for their hydration. I used to have 4 to buy for, still never thought that getting the free stuff was the way to go. There were other options like buying water and having it brought to your room at a cheaper rate. Or if you stayed offsite buy it at Publix or Walmart or Target and carry it in. or use the fountains that are all over the parks, the purpose is hydration not pleasure. Cold water does not hydrate more thoroughly then warm water. As much as so many refuse to accept that Disney is a highly successful business and taking care of your physical health is something we are all entitled too, I just think that is wrong. But that is me... everyone else just be whatever you want to be.

It's water, though?? It's utterly bizarre to me, even as someone from a western state where arguing over water rights is a major pastime, that you would think of asking for a cup of water as being entitled or something to be embarrassed about. As someone who's worked in multiple amusement parks, who has watched guests literally vomit and succumb to mental confusion and have to be carted away to first aid because they didn't ask for water on a hot day before it was too late, it's in Disney's best interest to give away water to people who ask. That paper cup is a heck of a lot cheaper than the salary of their first aid workers...or their PR department.

I also think you're maybe not seeing what you're doing that's making people "defensive" in your eyes. You claim that you're only stating what you feel, with no judgment on the actions of others, but then turn around and in the same post say things like "I just think that is wrong" in regards to people expecting to be able to get water. You may not think you're being judgmental, but that's the way all of your posts are coming off, and your judgment is far out of step with accepted social norms.

You do know that when you ask for water at a quick service restaurant, it isn't "tap water," right?

I can't stand the smell (or flavor) of Orlando water. I hate to even brush my teeth with it.

But there is no smell or Orlando flavor in water from the soda machine.
I don't know where you got your water from but when I was there in December I could definitely taste the sulfur in the free water. I could also taste it when I got water from the soda machine at my resort. It was CR. I had a rental car and had bought a case of bottled water from Walmart for $4. I even used it to brush my teeth in our room. For just over what I would pay for 1 bottle of water I had a case which lasted the whole week for me and my DH. We brought water to the parks everyday.

I don't know where you got your water from but when I was there in December I could definitely taste the sulfur in the free water. I could also taste it when I got water from the soda machine at my resort. It was CR. I had a rental car and had bought a case of bottled water from Walmart for $4. I even used it to brush my teeth in our room. For just over what I would pay for 1 bottle of water I had a case which lasted the whole week for me and my DH. We brought water to the parks everyday.
Various soda dispensers around the resorts and parks.

We pack a case of water in our car. Definitely cheaper than buying bottles individually at the park or resort.

We each take a bottle, but we refill them with water from quick service.

Various soda dispensers around the resorts and parks.

We pack a case of water in our car. Definitely cheaper than buying bottles individually at the park or resort.

We each take a bottle, but we refill them with water from quick service.
My point was that my DH and I could taste the sulfur in the free water whether or not it came from the soda machines. My DH actually bought water one day when we finished the water we brought to the parks with us. I guess you just don't taste it. I can assure you that if you are sensitive to the sulfur taste the filters don't get rid of it completely. That has been our experience.

My point was that my DH and I could taste the sulfur in the free water whether or not it came from the soda machines. My DH actually bought water one day when we finished the water we brought to the parks with us. I guess you just don't taste it. I can assure you that if you are sensitive to the sulfur taste the filters don't get rid of it completely. That has been our experience.

::yes::::yes::::yes::

I heard a tip a couple of years ago-always wear flip flops or slippers in the hotel room. Never let your bare feet touch the carpet because it's gross. Do people actually do this? I admit to being a barefooter in the room and sometimes when I'm walking to the pool or to get ice from the machine.

Absolutely always for me. I travel with a fresh pair of slippers and always wear them. Then they get tossed in to the wash as soon as I get home. I've seen what is in hotel carpeting and it's not a pretty sight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!