Common Size Points Charts

I've seen so many people just go off of what's posted w/o accounting for their own habits that it's easy to look at the chart and go - SSR is the best value. BCV is a horrible deal; when really they should be using the chart as a springboard. As examples; BCV points at PVB hurt, but BCV points at OKW isn't the worst thing in the world. It amounts to about a $200 premium. In the same way, SSR points at PVB don't really offer a significant discount - about $60 worth.
Great way to put it... I think that DVCRM's rankings assume only 7-month bookings, while mine assume only 11-month bookings. In reality, what's best depends on the individual, and is likely a hybrid of the two.

Awesome analysis. So well done. We definitely considered this as soon as we started looking at buying. We printed out all the point charts and couldn’t believe the disparity. In doing so, one thing we found very interesting was how expensive VGF contracts are to buy. Obviously, there is a lot of demand for VGF contracts. Why would so many people be interested in buying there? I still do not understand it, because considering the point chart, there is no draw for us. The only thing I can conclude is that there are a large amount of people out there who have completely different priorities than I do! I guess I should already know this, but the occasional reminder helps. :)

the new refurbs have helped close the gap between the older resorts and VGF -- but prior to those refurbs, there really was no comparison. VGF blew everything else out of the water.

the new refurbs have helped close the gap between the older resorts and VGF -- but prior to those refurbs, there really was no comparison. VGF blew everything else out of the water.

Agreed. To be honest the SSR refurb for 1-3 bedrooms is stunning, on par with VGF IMO (besides the crown moulding and maybe the tile on the bathroom floors).

Agreed. To be honest the SSR refurb for 1-3 bedrooms is stunning, on par with VGF IMO (besides the crown moulding and maybe the tile on the bathroom floors).

yeah -- pre-refurb, i had zero interest in ever staying in BWV or OKW. BCV was not great either, but I could stomach it for the location to epcot. Now, I'm not sad about staying in any of those rooms. They're still not as nice as VGF, but the gap has shrunk tremendously. I haven't seen the new 1+BRs for SSR yet, so I'll go check them out quick on youtube.

Admittedly, I did not factor in the amount of points needed to book when I purchased and only realized afterward. This is great info!! Wow, thanks for doing it!!!

This is something I've been working on for a little while, and is similar in scope to some of the work recently posted by @CanadaDisney05. Inspired by those posts, I decided to revisit this and post it.

Though most of us are aware there are differences in point charts at the various DVC resorts, I’ve always struggled to quantify exactly what the differences are. I would look up the difference from one resort to another for a specific time period, make a mental note, and move on.

To try to better quantify the differences I’m describing, I did some research and ultimately created what I’m calling “common size” point charts… like common size financial statements, the main idea is to facilitate comparisons from a baseline.

Methodology
  1. Recorded the point cost of a week in a Studio and 1-Bedroom for all view types across all seasons at the WDW resorts.
  2. Selected a “baseline” room value… For the charts below, I chose Old Key West.
  3. Calculated the following:
    1. The number of points needed for each room type relative to the baseline within each season.
    2. A weighted average point cost for each room type based on the number of days in each season.
    3. (post #2) The number of points needed for each room type relative to that room type’s Adventure Season point totals.
Old Key West fit the bill as a baseline because it had the lowest average number of points for both Studios & 1-Bedrooms (EXCEPT for AKV Value… but they are significantly lower than everything else in the system).

The result is the following charts. The number listed is the “multiplier” of the number of points needed compared to the baseline (which is Old Key West for both the Studios & 1-Bedrooms. So if you want to book a Savanna View Studio at AKV in Adventure season, it takes 1.34x as many points to book as an OKW Studio. Likewise, a Standard View Studio at Riviera in Magic season costs 1.48x an OKW Studio.

The first set of charts adjusts the baseline for each season, so comparisons are only relevant within the same season (or using the weighted average point cost as a generic figure).

To compare other resorts directly, simply divide the two numbers given… For example, a Lake View Studio at Polynesian in Choice season has a multiplier of 1.96x, while the same view/season at Bay Lake Tower has a multiplier of 1.64x. 1.96 / 1.64 = 1.195, so the Poly room takes about 20% more points than the BLT room at that time.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The numbers presented are relevant for comparisons across resorts within the SAME season. The baseline number is different depending on the season, so this is only for comparisons within the same season.

For reference, seasons in 2020 run:
  • Adventure: Jan. 1-31, Sept. 1-30, Dec. 1-14
  • Choice: Oct. 1-Nov. 24, Nov. 28-30, Dec. 15-23
  • Dream: Feb. 1-15, May 1-June 10, Aug. 16-31
  • Magic: Feb. 16-Apr. 4, Apr. 19-30, June 11-Aug. 15, Nov. 25-27
  • Premier: Apr. 5-18, Dec. 24-31

STUDIOS vs. OLD KEY WEST

View attachment 444310
View attachment 444311

1-BEDROOMS vs. OLD KEY WEST

View attachment 444312
View attachment 444313

A FEW NOTES

I can easily change the baseline room type in Excel and post revised charts if you are curious about a specific resort as a baseline. Again, you can divide any two numbers to see the relationship between specific resorts.

I also have the data in combined form, where both the Studios & 1-Bedroom amounts change based on a single baseline input. This may be useful for those considering buying enough points for studios or 1-bedrooms.
This is Totally Freaking Awesome ! :)
I play with these types of analyses all the time in my own spreadsheet.
I'm currently comparing long-term (LifeCycleCostEstimates) across SSR/BWV/AKL, to determine which is the least expensive for a 10, 15, or 20 Year expected life cycle. The unknown risk factor in this comparison is the likelihood that I could consistently grab the Value STU or Value 1BR in January at AKL. If that was a reliable gamble, then the slightly higher resale costs and MFs would be offset by the smaller quantity of points needed.
There are so many variables in all of these calculation scenarios, that sometimes my head spins around and around in Analysis Paralysis, but being an analyst by vocation, I can't help myself. ! :)

I really appreciate the work involved in compiling this data; is there a way to grab a copy of the source spreadsheet, with the embedded formulas ??

THANKS, RAY3127 !

This is Totally Freaking Awesome ! :)
I play with these types of analyses all the time in my own spreadsheet.
I'm currently comparing long-term (LifeCycleCostEstimates) across SSR/BWV/AKL, to determine which is the least expensive for a 10, 15, or 20 Year expected life cycle. The unknown risk factor in this comparison is the likelihood that I could consistently grab the Value STU or Value 1BR in January at AKL. If that was a reliable gamble, then the slightly higher resale costs and MFs would be offset by the smaller quantity of points needed.
There are so many variables in all of these calculation scenarios, that sometimes my head spins around and around in Analysis Paralysis, but being an analyst by vocation, I can't help myself. ! :)

I really appreciate the work involved in compiling this data; is there a way to grab a copy of the source spreadsheet, with the embedded formulas ??

THANKS, RAY3127 !
Value 1BR should be easy most of the time...studio is a whole different ballgame.

THANKS, RAY3127 !
Thanks! I'm no data scientist/analyst, but I know enough Excel to be dangerous from time to time.

Shoot me a PM and I can send you the SS (after cleaning it up a tad)!

Thanks! I'm no data scientist/analyst, but I know enough Excel to be dangerous from time to time.

Shoot me a PM and I can send you the SS (after cleaning it up a tad)!
I find it interesting that BWV in January is on par with OKW.
And we found them available at 7 Months.
We stayed there one January, and really liked being between EPCOT & DHS.
I'm curious why they are only at that 1:1 ration in the Adventure Season??

Value 1BR should be easy most of the time...studio is a whole different ballgame.
I will weigh that into my decision. The Value 1BR is a good savings on points, but the Value Studios are even more attractive. Someone has to be able to get them at 11 months! :)

I find it interesting that BWV in January is on par with OKW.
And we found them available at 7 Months.
We stayed there one January, and really liked being between EPCOT & DHS.
I'm curious why they are only at that 1:1 ration in the Adventure Season??

They are basically 1:1 in Adventure, Choice, and Magic. I think you read the charts wrong because the later sets are the ratios based on OKW Adventure season so its guaranteed for those others seasons to be more expensive.

I will weigh that into my decision. The Value 1BR is a good savings on points, but the Value Studios are even more attractive. Someone has to be able to get them at 11 months! :)
We're checking in to a value studio on Saturday for a week and have 8 nights booked in a value studio next September (along with a night in a Club studio for our last night) so yes, people do get them. I just always recommend planning around not getting them and then it's a bonus if you do.

We're checking in to a value studio on Saturday for a week and have 8 nights booked in a value studio next September (along with a night in a Club studio for our last night) so yes, people do get them. I just always recommend planning around not getting them and then it's a bonus if you do.
Did you book both at 11 months? And did you a
walk either reservation?

Did you book both at 11 months? And did you a
walk either reservation?
Yes, both at 11 months. The one that we're checking in to (last week of October) I walked a few weeks. I got really lucky on the one for next September. We only decided to do that trip about 4 days before our 11 month date. I had 2 chances and didn't get either time. It had been showing that the day of our 11 month window would have an opening to try again so before I went to bed I double checked that it would be available (not setting my alarm otherwise lol) and it was just sitting there available for the current day. Someone had dropped a reservation during the evening. I grabbed it and walked it the one day/overnight.

Yes, both at 11 months. The one that we're checking in to (last week of October) I walked a few weeks. I got really lucky on the one for next September. We only decided to do that trip about 4 days before our 11 month date. I had 2 chances and didn't get either time. It had been showing that the day of our 11 month window would have an opening to try again so before I went to bed I double checked that it would be available (not setting my alarm otherwise lol) and it was just sitting there available for the current day. Someone had dropped a reservation during the evening. I grabbed it and walked it the one day/overnight.
JETSDAD - Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards AKL if/when I act on my ADDONITIS! :)

Obviously, there is a lot of demand for VGF contracts. Why would so many people be interested in buying there? I still do not understand it, because considering the point chart, there is no draw for us.

Have you stayed there? I had no interest in it until I lucked into a stay there in 2016, and fell in love. Stayed again in 2018 (lucky waitlist) and thought about selling bay lake and buying VGC. (Then my life fell apart and VGC sold out)

Love that place.

Have you stayed there? I had no interest in it until I lucked into a stay there in 2016, and fell in love. Stayed again in 2018 (lucky waitlist) and thought about selling bay lake and buying VGC. (Then my life fell apart and VGC sold out)

Love that place.

Personally the whole resort is stuffy and impersonal to me. It basically has the feel of a very exclusive resort on a beach where they let every other hotels guests come to.

Some people love it which means Disney has done a good job of diversifying their resorts.

On that note CCV is not my cup of tea because I can easily get that around where I live but at least that I like the theming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!