• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Comparing HHI to Myrtle Beach?

dizzneebabe

SOME IMAGINATION!!!
DVC Silver
Hi,

Just wondering how the beach at Hilton Head compares to Myrtle Beach? We went to MB last year and loved the actual beach. People say they love MB b/c it is so shallow for so far and it's easy for kids to swim and play. What is HH beach like? Are there many jellyfish (or man-a-war) during the end of June? Our oldest was stung in MB, along with several other people over the course of our stay. :scared1:

Just curious to hear any thoughts!:rolleyes1

My take on HHI vs. MB is that HHI is a bit more "upper class" or "high end". Plus, it's more residential/resort than MB is (which is more hotel based.) MB has a "strip" along the beach with all the typical beach hotels, stores, and restauraunts. HHI has fine beaches, but most are associated with resorts rather than part of a hotel strip.

As far as the beach itself, it too is pretty shallow a ways out. Sand quality is similar (as are most Atlantic beaches. Can't speak to the jellyfish that time of year, never been at that time.

Well, I haven't been to HHI in some years, but reguarding the beaches, I say....what beaches??? At high tide, there is barely any beaches left, at least where I was!!!! I do agree that HHI is alot more upscale, and much more "green." There are't alot of street lights, so it is pretty dark on the island at night. But I think that is what makes HHI what it is. It's very resort like, even McDonalds has a brown, wood sign, you'll find no neon lights here!!!! That being said, MB was alot of fun, although maybe a little too much seedy motels and the like. We had fun at both, but I preferred HHI.

Well, I haven't been to HHI in some years, but reguarding the beaches, I say....what beaches??? At high tide, there is barely any beaches left, at least where I was!!!! I do agree that HHI is alot more upscale, and much more "green." There are't alot of street lights, so it is pretty dark on the island at night. But I think that is what makes HHI what it is. It's very resort like, even McDonalds has a brown, wood sign, you'll find no neon lights here!!!! That being said, MB was alot of fun, although maybe a little too much seedy motels and the like. We had fun at both, but I preferred HHI.

They have recently replentished the beach at HHI. You have about 100 yards more beach now than you did last time.

We go to HH about EOY and just got back from our first MB trip. MB is a strip area little different than Daytona or Panama City. We liked HH much better, less touristy overall in appearance. The beaches seems similar though overall from what we saw both in MB, North MB and the Marriott which is in between.

I don't think I've ever seen jellyfish at HH at the end of June, usually they appear end of August. But a lot depends on what's going on out at sea, storms and such. If it's a big concern you can buy a lotion that has a sunscreen and jellyfish protectant mixed together. Also, keep a box of baking soda and cortaid in your bag, or pack a sting with wet sand---the jellyfish we do get are pretty small and the sting goes away quickly.

Rubbing Sand on it BEFORE you get out of the water also works. You have to get the spines out.

Once you get out, my Wife promises me that Urine is the best thing.

I haven't been in the water off Hilton Head I a long time, but, I do go to Tybee a lot (the next Island down) and haven't seen that many Jelly's at all recently.

An older, but, local, article about Jellies can be found here:

http://www.lowcountrynow.com/stories/041704/LOCjellyfish.shtml

HH has the lights out at night rule during the summer due to the Loggerhead Sea Turtles. When the nests hatch, the baby turtles head toward the brightest light---which is supposed to be the moon reflecting off the ocean. Anyway, a dark beach on a summer's night can be a lot of fun for people too...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter