Complaints

grossmansr

Mouseketeer
Where can I post a rant? I looked all around the forums and I'm just not sure the appropriate place for this, so please move it wherever it needs to go. I'm just so frustrated, and sad, and done. I didn't know what else to do but I had to get it out.

I've been trying to stay positive, I really have, but Disney is really starting to get on my nerves. Everything is just Too. Darn. Expensive. I've gone practically every year of my life (I'm 37 already!) and it's always been my favorite week of the year. But the last 2 years have been hard. Well, the last visit was hard (on our budget I mean) and we didn't even go last year because we had a hard time justifying the cost.

I thought I could make it worthwhile this year scoring Free Dining and by doing a split stay on and off property. We were going to use the package tickets (park hoppers plus) over the course of two weeks, even after we moved offsite. But now that they changed the ticket system it seems that the package tickets expire when we check out instead of lasting for 14 days like they used to!

It's just the little things, you know? I was just getting over the surprise expense of paying for resort parking. And now this. Every time I turn around it seems like Disney's making another money grab, offering the same or less for more money. I've been crunching numbers and trying to squeeze value out of it, but I just can't seem to make it work.

I'm just.... done. I don't know what else to say. Disney has always been my happy place. It pains me so much to write this. We are not poor by any means but we are certainly not rich. And for our family of 6 - Me, DH, DS15, DS12, DD7 and DS3 - a Disney vacation no longer makes any sense. Because if we drop $10,000 on two weeks (which is practically the cost of my daughter's private school tuition, just to put things in perspective), and we don't have an AMAZING freaking time, I think I would have rather just stayed home and cleaned the house.

I completely understand your vent. Maybe for this trip, spend your 5-7 days at Disney, and take that other week and spend it some where else in Florida much more affordably. Rent a house with a pool, go to the beach etc. I am considering doing that, depending on what they decide to do about the possible rumored changes to the FP system. Good luck!

You've forgotten that it's not just the cost, but the amount of planning that goes into every trip just to make it something enjoyable. Almost no other vacations require you to work that hard before even getting to the destination. I found I needed to spend time on my phone checking wait times and figuring out how to order food that was customized to my family and adjust those touring plans and FPs that I worked so hard on for the last several months. Then a ride is down, which throws everything off.

This was a vacation for my family, but it was work for me and I didn't feel present to enjoy anything with them. I was stressed about getting the things we needed to have our good time and keeping people from whining about wait times. We tried playing the Disney app, which was a waste and the wifi was too flaky to do it anyway. Oh yeah, I was cursing at the app for that, too.

I think this is our last WDW, too. DH is done. DS14 is sad about it, though. He still loves the magic. If I take him again, it won't be at spring break and quite frankly, I'm thinking the better way to do WDW is to stay off site and do a party or an after hours where you don't have to worry about wait times in the same way. Why buy a 4,5,6 day pass if I can just hit up some after hours events and relax through the day?

We were going to use the package tickets (park hoppers plus) over the course of two weeks, even after we moved offsite. But now that they changed the ticket system it seems that the package tickets expire when we check out instead of lasting for 14 days like they used to!
Currently:
An 8-Day Ticket is valid for any 8 days within 12 days (13 days with PH+)
A 9-Day Ticket is valid for any 9 days within 13 days 14 days with PH+)
A 10-Day Ticket is valid for any 10 days within 14 (15 days with PH+)

-----------

Date-based tickets purchased as part of a Walt Disney Travel Company room and ticket package will have one of the following valid use periods (whichever is longer):
(i) the same valid use period described above, OR
(ii) a valid use period beginning on the package resort arrival date and ending on the package resort check-out date.

Last edited:
I really think the date based tickets are another way they are trying to push people towards DVC.

I mean to be able to get a Gold Pass at $609 that includes Memory Maker, Park Hopping, discounts, etc. is pretty good compared to current ticket prices, I mean a 10 day park hopper is $590 alone, at least for our upcoming dates. Needless to say we went with the annual passes and will come again a couple of times within the year. And our room is already covered using our points.

Obviously this isn't for everyone, but really for us DVC has been a great investment and is helping to minimize the impact of these date based tickets.

Where can I post a rant? I looked all around the forums and I'm just not sure the appropriate place for this, so please move it wherever it needs to go. I'm just so frustrated, and sad, and done. I didn't know what else to do but I had to get it out.

I've been trying to stay positive, I really have, but Disney is really starting to get on my nerves. Everything is just Too. Darn. Expensive. I've gone practically every year of my life (I'm 37 already!) and it's always been my favorite week of the year. But the last 2 years have been hard. Well, the last visit was hard (on our budget I mean) and we didn't even go last year because we had a hard time justifying the cost.

I thought I could make it worthwhile this year scoring Free Dining and by doing a split stay on and off property. We were going to use the package tickets (park hoppers plus) over the course of two weeks, even after we moved offsite. But now that they changed the ticket system it seems that the package tickets expire when we check out instead of lasting for 14 days like they used to!

It's just the little things, you know? I was just getting over the surprise expense of paying for resort parking. And now this. Every time I turn around it seems like Disney's making another money grab, offering the same or less for more money. I've been crunching numbers and trying to squeeze value out of it, but I just can't seem to make it work.

I'm just.... done. I don't know what else to say. Disney has always been my happy place. It pains me so much to write this. We are not poor by any means but we are certainly not rich. And for our family of 6 - Me, DH, DS15, DS12, DD7 and DS3 - a Disney vacation no longer makes any sense. Because if we drop $10,000 on two weeks (which is practically the cost of my daughter's private school tuition, just to put things in perspective), and we don't have an AMAZING freaking time, I think I would have rather just stayed home and cleaned the house.
And with SWGE it will only get worse. There are ppl on some of those boards begging to pay more for special events in SWGE.

Currently:
An 8-Day Ticket is valid for any 8 days within 12 days beginning on the start date
A 9-Day Ticket is valid for any 9 days within 13 days beginning on the start date
A 10-Day Ticket is valid for any 10 days within 14 days beginning on the start date

-----------

Date-based tickets purchased as part of a Walt Disney Travel Company room and ticket package will have one of the following valid use periods (whichever is longer):
(i) the same valid use period described above, OR
(ii) a valid use period beginning on the package resort arrival date and ending on the package resort check-out date.

Yes, this. OP, I think you may be confused as to how the new ticket usage window works. Unless you were planning on buying 5 days of tickets or less, you should be able to spread your tickets out over the majority of your 14 day trip. Especially with the "plus" option which buys you an additional day of usage.

This chart may help: https://www.mousesavers.com/disney-ticket-changes-coming-october-2018/

Disney has gotten really savvy at finding ways to suck more and more money out of their guests. Charging for parking at the resorts is blatantly greedy. As for the new ticket rules, I understand how the OP would be confused. To me it’s overly complicated and it would also be helpful if Disney could manage to have the correct information in MDE. We’re doing a split stay at POP and BC (10 nts/11 days total). The email invoice states that our 8 day tickets (part of pkg) are good for 13 days while MDE says they expire on the day we check out of our first resort (which would be half way thru our trip and before the tickets could all actually be used). Just adding to the confusion.

Last edited:

I am not going to disagree with you that Disney is expensive but I think you should be thankful that you have been able to go to Disney as frequently as you have. If Disney has gotten too expensive for you then maybe you need to go less frequently.

I understand the need to vent. There are things here and there that Disney does that annoy me.

I have always said to my husband that I don't know how families with multiple kids can spend the money on a trip to WDW. Whether you can afford it or not, it's tough to swallow sometimes.

I only spend what I am comfortable with. I don't have a problem staying at a value resort. I don't have a problem driving there. We eat quick service meals. We book with discounts. I'd rather get an AP and go on several short budget trips than go for a long one at a deluxe. Everyone travels differently.

As for the complaints about planning, you only need to plan as much as you want to. Some of it is frustrating and annoying, but if it gets to that level I take a step back and chill. Overthinking these trips can lead to disaster.

We'll be taking a couple of years off once our APs expire in March 2020. Yes, there are other places to go. Where do you have the best time as a family? What does vacation mean to you? For me it's about spending time together and laughter! If you can have that anywhere then go for it.

Yes, this. OP, I think you may be confused as to how the new ticket usage window works. Unless you were planning on buying 5 days of tickets or less, you should be able to spread your tickets out over the majority of your 14 day trip. Especially with the "plus" option which buys you an additional day of usage.

This chart may help: https://www.mousesavers.com/disney-ticket-changes-coming-october-2018/

Are you talking about the Flexible Option? The one that lifts any date restrictions for your start date and lets you use them within 14 days once you start using them?

I priced that out the other day for our July tickets and it was an additional $150 per ticket. Per ticket!

Just as when the price on any other spluge goes up, you have to evaluate if it is something you really want. And if it is, what can you do to make it fit more comfortably in your budget. Could you go for less time? Stay off site? Not have park hopper tickets? Pack in food or drinks? Heck for my last trip I bought a Britta water bottle and that thing alone saved me lots of $$.

Just as when the price on any other spluge goes up, you have to evaluate if it is something you really want. And if it is, what can you do to make it fit more comfortably in your budget. Could you go for less time? Stay off site? Not have park hopper tickets? Pack in food or drinks? Heck for my last trip I bought a Britta water bottle and that thing alone saved me lots of $$.

Using the tickets within 14 days is something the OP used to be able to do up until this past October. That function has been taken away and can be added back for the price of up to $150 per ticket during a crowd season such as in Free Dining. For her family that could be an extra $750 dollars for something she always used to do. I’m not sure this falls into the category of splurge, but perhaps being annoyed at a cutback in a ticket’s value

OP I'm with you on the loss of flexiblity for tickets. But alas Disney isn't the only one. Shoot Universal is 7 days IIRC!

My normal planning of 5 days of WDW and 3 days of Universal where we mixed in the dates is going to be real hard next time we go (assuming no more restrictions are added) because of the restrictions placed on both.

But you didn't mention how many days your were looking to get for the tickets. That may help out in understanding if you needed to add on the Flex option (which agreed sucks because it used to be 14 days without additional money), or adjust the start date of when you select for your tickets that you buy, or help clear up if there is any confusion.

OP I'm with you on the loss of flexiblity for tickets. But alas Disney isn't the only one. Shoot Universal is 7 days IIRC!

My normal planning of 5 days of WDW and 3 days of Universal where we mixed in the dates is going to be real hard next time we go (assuming no more restrictions are added) because of the restrictions placed on both.

But you didn't mention how many days your were looking to get for the tickets. That may help out in understanding if you needed to add on the Flex option (which agreed sucks because it used to be 14 days without additional money), or adjust the start date of when you select for your tickets that you buy, or help clear up if there is any confusion.
But Universal isn't generally a long term proposition like Disney is. If Universal is 7 days, Disney really should be 14 days.

But Universal isn't generally a long term proposition like Disney is. If Universal is 7 days, Disney really should be 14 days.
But that's not what I'm saying............

I'm simply saying BOTH companies have tightened their restriction..Universal even worse. They went from 14 days to 7 days. Basically it's not JUST Disney who has done this with lowering the amount of days the ticket is good for.

I wasn't talking about how long one typically goes to Universal for. That's irrelevant really.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!