Complete list of stateroom categories on the Dream / Fantasy

I've been on several cruises, but never really noticed a different between what deck our stateroom is on. Forgive me for being naive, but is it typically better to be on lower or higher decks?
We honeymooned on the Dream, our room was on deck 9 - it was nice and quiet - is this typically the same for upper decks?

Thanks in advance ^_^

6B - Whitewall, Decks 5, 6, 7. Some may be family size (Cat. 4 if it had no whitewall), but I may be wrong
6A - Whitewall, Decks 8, 9

None of the 6A-6B rooms are family size. Regular size room and balcony with the whitewall that comes up to about shin height.

I've been on several cruises, but never really noticed a different between what deck our stateroom is on. Forgive me for being naive, but is it typically better to be on lower or higher decks?
We honeymooned on the Dream, our room was on deck 9 - it was nice and quiet - is this typically the same for upper decks?

Thanks in advance ^_^

Which deck is "best" is a personal preference. Lower decks have less motion. If you are sensitive to motion, then a low deck midship is best. Higher decks put you closer to the lido deck but further from the gangway and the indoor facilities. Lower decks put you closer to the gangway and indoor facilities, but further from the lido deck. Higher decks are usually more expensive, since they are perceived as better, and can possibly have a better view.

The quietest decks are ones where you have just staterooms above and below you. Check the deck plan. On the Dream and Fantasy, for example, most of the rooms on Decks 7, 8, and 9 are very quiet, since they have only staterooms above and below. Same with some of Deck 6. Deck 10 has the lido deck above, so you need to check the exact location of your room. Same with Deck 5, which has public areas below. Deck 2, unfortunately, you have no way of knowing what is below, since Disney does not make most of Deck 1 public, so you are taking a gamble. It also has public areas above. If you are below the seating area of a restaurant, that is usually quiet. If you are below the galley, that is usually noisy. But you are still taking a gamble with what is below.

To go through each of my questions, and which ones are answered and which ones are not:

1. What is the difference between 9C and 9D? I'm guessing 9D is even more obstructed than 9C, but that has not been answered.

It seems that 9D is larger but has a strange layout that some may not like. Haven't seen an answer yet as to whether or not 9D is more obstructed than 9C, or even what kind of obstruction they have. It seems 9D has a slanted porthole, but not sure about 9C.

I will be in a 9C room on the 24th and will follow-up with good pictures from it and a room report... It will be cabin 7002 on the Fantasy

3. What is the difference between 8A and 8D, when both are on the same decks? I'm guessing the 8A rooms are bigger. There have been posts about the 8A "mini-suites" and the 8A "open floor plan" rooms.

Since nobody has commented, I assume that my assumption is correct, that 8A is bigger.

I have read online, but will not be able to confirm until March 2015, that the "Mini-Suite" 8A rooms (5020, 5022, 5520, 5522) are about 324 sq. ft. (18x18).

I have read online, but will not be able to confirm until March 2015, that the "Mini-Suite" 8A rooms (5020, 5022, 5520, 5522) are about 324 sq. ft. (18x18).

Wow, really??? That's almost a whole 100 sq ft larger than advertised!!!! Unbelievable!!!

I wonder why they chose Deck 5 for the extended verandahs.

They didn't. The ship sort of "juts out" just under those cabins(I can't remember why), and without the extended verandah, you wouldn't be able to see the ocean, only the ship underneath of you. Personally, I wouldn't stay in one again; you can see others and they can see you if you are on the extended portion of your verandah.

5E - Supposedly these are oversized balconies, but I'm not sure why they are downgraded. Maybe since they are so far aft? Or maybe they have whitewalls and were originally Cat. 6, and thus 5E is an upgrade?

Not downgraded - your second statement is right; they were Cat 6 & upgraded due to their over sided Verandahs. The 'whitewall' is only about shin high, very different than the full whitewall Verandahs on the Magic/Wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Wow, really??? That's almost a whole 100 sq ft larger than advertised!!!! Unbelievable!!!

I have my doubts, i suspect that it is closer to a (still larger than stated) 300 sq ft. I am booked in room 5520 next March and I plan to measure so everyone will know.

here are two great "mini-suite" reviews.

(links to follow in next post, due to my lurker status I need one more post to post links)

you can see the rooms in the reviews are mirror images of each other, and have different couch/desk placement.

I updated the original post based on answers that others gave. Anyone want to confirm if everything I said is correct? The only unanswered question is about Cat. 9C vs 9D. There is a lot of talk about the corner 9D's, but nothing about the forward-facing 9D's or the 9C's.

Also, I assume that some of the Cat. 7A's on Deck 5 have an oversized verandah, but I'm not sure, so I didn't want to post that until it's confirmed.

Anything else I am missing?

As already noted by Bear3124, two of the cabins in Cat 7A on the Dream/Fantasy have undersized balconies: 5188 and its twin, 5688. One advantage of these cabins is that they each connect to an OV handicapped room.

Most of the other 7A cabins have a full size balcony with an obstruction. However, cabins 5024 & 5524 appear to have normal sized balconies, but they are next to a cabin with an extended balcony, giving your neighbor the opportunity to view into your cabin from their balcony.

The good thing about CAt 7A is that there are not that many cabins, so you can probably find the view from each somewhere on the web. I believe the following are all of the 7As at the current time: 5024 & 5524, 5180 & 5680, 5188 & 5688, 6178 & 6678, 7022 & 7520, 7170 & 7668, 7182 & 7680, 8022 & 8520, 8164 & 8662, 8176 & 8674, 9012 & 9512, 9152 & 9652, 9164 & 9664.

7As can be hard to locate on some deck plans, as they didn't exist before October, 2011. -- Suzanne

Sounds like my list is accurate, and none of the 7As on Deck 5 have oversized verandahs.

Do any of the 6B's on Deck 5 have oversized verandahs? I assume not. But if they do, I should mention that too on the list.

Ok, so it sounds like everything on my list is accurate, with the only somewhat unanswered questions being about the 9C and 9D rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!