compression stockings

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
My dad (age 77) has a little bit of trouble with his legs swelling up on him. It doesn't happen all of the time, but I a little concerned about him having to deal with it during our upcoming trip to WDW. Is there anyone here who has used them, or could share their thoughts on them? Do you think they would be helpful? Are they something he should ask his cardiologist about using?

I do plan on going at his pace. I have a car rented so he won't have to stand going to or from the parks. We are staying at the Swan so we can boat to both Epcot and DS, and he will be able to easily take a break from both parks if he feels it is necessary. I'm trying to make things as easy on him as possible, but there is no way he would use an ECV. Won't consider it.

I wear them sometimes. See if you can find the lighter weight ones because they are easier to get on and off. I was talking to my doctor about them last week and we were joking that the heavy duty ones would work better, but it would take everyone in their office, plus everyone in my family pulling them up, and she still wasn't sure they could get them on! They would be helpful and while I know it doesn't look like they would be comfortable, they do feel really good once you get them on.

See if you can get him to take a rollator if for no other reason than he will always have a seat to use if he needs one.

I had to wear them when I was having trouble with my kidneys. They absolutely were helpful! My lower legs and ankles would have been so swollen and uncomfortable without them. Of course, with anything medical, it's always best to ask his doctor.

My dad is 77 also refuses an ECV. Must be the age. My 53 year old butt has absolutely no problem admitting I need one.

Are they something he should ask his cardiologist about using?

Yes. Absolutely. Compression stockings affect blood flow, so I would certainly consult his cardio doc.

And, I second @powellrj's suggestion about the rollator. Gives you something to hang on to while walking for stability, but also has a seat for if you need to take a break. Many people find them to be exactly what they need for a WDW trip.

If you have further concerns about his stamina, simply remind him that using the ECV at WDW (but not at home) is VERY common. The *average* Guest at WDW can walk between 3 and 10 miles PER DAY without realizing it. Our family tends toward the higher end of the spectrum; we love Park Hopping, and always spend part of almost every day at Disney Springs.

The ECV is a *TOOL* that lets him keep up with everyone else - or let's everyone else try to keep up with him! It takes the stress and worry about "Can he keep up? Should we slow down?" away, and it means that he doesn't arrive home from vacation needing another vacation.

It's a TOOL - no different than if he uses glasses to see better, or a hearing aid to augment his hearing. If he has ever used a cane, or worn those compression stockings ? Those are a TOOL as well. It's just something you use to make your life (or your families vacation) a little bit better.

It's NOT about copping out, or throwing in the towel. It's about using your resources as wisely as possible!

I would definitely consult with the cardiologist. He may even recommend your father has a scooter or something.....

I wear them sometimes. See if you can find the lighter weight ones because they are easier to get on and off. I was talking to my doctor about them last week and we were joking that the heavy duty ones would work better, but it would take everyone in their office, plus everyone in my family pulling them up, and she still wasn't sure they could get them on!

I know the feeling! I ended up finding some on Amazon that have a zipper on the side. I was able to get them on without passing out. Of course, one of the zippers didn't want to stay up. Luckily, I was able to buy a sewing kit at one of the airport gift shops. Voila! Add one safety pin and problem solved. Going to buy another pair before my next trip just to be on the safe side.

I wear them to travel.

They are a pain to put on, but if I do it right when I get out of the shower and lotion up my legs, they can be pretty easy.

I'd want to make sure dad has discussed with all of his docs that his legs swell, when this happens, why this might be happening, and whether a medication change might help, as well as what to do when it happens. Not to mention discussing his vacation plans with his medical team as well.

Running the idea past his doctor is a good idea. Surgical supply stores sell them. There are quite a few different kinds and compression strengths. It will be a good idea to try them out first before the trip. They can measure his legs for a good fit. Also, resting with his legs up for a while midday will also help. Hope you have a great time. It's good that you are being so proactive.

Definitely talk to the cardiologist, especially if the swelling is new or is worsening. There are different grades of compression stockings. I worked in a clinic where I measured custom compression garments. I highly recommend wearing compression stockings whenever flying as your blood tends to pool in your legs and can put you at risk for blood clots (especially on longer flights). There are good off-the-shelf stockings but you want to make sure they actually fit. If your father's swelling is severe enough, he may be a candidate for custom compression garments, which may be covered by insurance. Your dad is lucky to have such a caring daughter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!