Concerned about renting points for Aulani stay

steveyjc81

DIS Veteran
Hello Everyone,
I'm at the very early stages of planning a big holiday in the summer of 2021 to mark a landmark birthday. I'd like to visit Aulani, for 10-12 nights. With Aulani being expensive, I see that renting DVC points appears to significantly reduce the outlay.
Part of me would be very nervous paying out such a coniderable sum by this method. I know there are companies such as Davids and the DVC store which will act as middle men for this transaction, but isnt there a higher level of risk associated if, for instance the original owner of the points decides to cancel the reservation etc?
I guess there would be some protection when purchasing using a credit card, but it doesnt seem just as secure, and Im not sure travel insurance would cover this sort of DVC rental transaction? Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks, Steve

Renting points has become more and more popular and its relatively safe, but you still need to do your due diligence. With your concerns, I would definitely go with a broker like David's or DVC Store. I believe the latter offers insurance that does cover the cost of the stay, both if you need to cancel or something goes awry with the reservation. The brokers likely also have ongoing relationships with owners so the level of risk is mitigated by the owners being repeat customers. You do pay more per point going with a broker, but I always recommend it for first time renters or those nervous about the process. Also keep in mind that with the brokers, you'll need to pay in full for the reservation at time of booking (you should book 7-11 months out) and you likely won't not be able to change anything after you book it. You also do not receive daily housekeeping service staying on DVC points.

I've rented several times and at this point, I rent directly through owners I locate myself. I did this for my Aulani stay as well. The benefit is that I can find an owner around 10-11 months out which gives me more availability to choose from, and it costs less per point. The terms also can be more flexible, but you do run a greater risk of scam artists and issues. Knock on wood, I've not had an issue to date. But reputable owners who rent on their own will have a contract and references available, which helps. They also sometimes offer payment terms, with the balance being due closer to the travel dates. I've found owners on the Rent/Trade forum here and other competitor forums.

There are apparently some travel insurances that will cover DVC rentals but you'll have to do your research. As to the rest of your concerns yes there is some small element of risk but if owners were constantly canceling reservations you'd certainly hear about it EVERYWHERE - it just doesn't happen. A few years ago there was an issue with a certain owner who's account was locked out due to them failing to pay dues but David's worked hard to make the guests whole again.

I'm an owner but I've rented out my points through David's once and received a transfer from another owner I found here on the boards (so my in-laws could stay for my wedding no less) and I wouldn't hesitate to rent if I ran out of points for a WDW trip in the future. (Or Aulani for that matter)

Just an FYI....I was scolded by admin for mentioning one of the above sites.

We rented for our upcoming trip in May so hoping everything goes well.

The contracts are available for viewing on the websites if you want to read them. Of course nothing is 100%, but its a small risk given the amount of money you will save. Dvc rental does have insurance but it is ridiculously priced, only covers the points and you don’t get all the money back if you make a claim.

With the cost savings comes risks, so I understand your concerns. You need to do due diligence if renting directly from owners to avoid scams. With your concerns, I say go with a broker the first time around. However, anything can happen (even when renting thru a broker), but a broker will work hard to find you acceptable replacement accommodations and make you whole again, should this happen to you and go after the owner(s) themselves later.

So, I would say you are probably worrying needlessly if renting thru a broker. If you are still worried, than you are gonna have to pay the price to Disney directly, which is definitely not fun to do, as Disney always charge an arm and a leg at least for anything!!! :)

Good Luck on your decision, whatever you decide to do.

Great3

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. It's much appreciated. I think you have all allayed my fears a little, so will probably go through a reputable broker when the booking window opens. Had Disney been just - a little more expensive, I would probably go with them, but the savings seem considerable!

Thank you all once again,
Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!