Concerns about ECVs

Redbudlover

DIS Veteran
Hi, I am considering renting an ECV for my trip next week. I have lower back problems and standing for long periods or walking for more than a few hours leaves me in considerable pain. I am perfectly capable though of shorter periods of wlaking and standing. I am worried about feeling silly with an ECV. Also worried about leaving it unattended. what do you do if you can ride a ride without it - where do you leave it and how secure is leaving it? What if you want to eat in a TS restaurant? Also can you put it in a cab if you decide to use one of those - or should you have a car rental? thanks everyone.

I'll let the ECV users answer most of your questions, but I can answer 2 of them.
The ECV has a key. If you park it, take the key along with you. No one is going anywhere with it without the key.
If you are staying at one of the WDW resorts, you can bring the ECV onto the buses, monorails and most of the boats.

Most taxis should have a trunk large enough to handle an ECV. When you make your reservation, if the company should ask you tell them you will have a rental car. Some ECVs are designed to break down into components much easier than others. Check the "disABILTIES FAQ" for some instructions (which will make more sense once you see the ECV) on breaking it down and reassembling.

I never worry about parking my ECV outside a ride or restaurant. I just make sure I take the key, as well as anything valueable that is in the basket. Sometimes I will just park in the stroller parking area.

Don't worry about feeling silly riding around in an ecv. If you experience pain after being on your feet a couple hours than an ecv is going to give you a much better experience at disney. Plus, there are tons of people doing the ecv thing at disney, so you won't feel alone out there. I always wave to all the people in the ecv's as i pass them in the park. Some wave back, some don't.

You will most likely be able to be out and about enjoying yourself more during the day. Maybe do half a day, then a break, and the continue later. Some people can go the whole day without a break, but its a matter of preference.

Only tips about the bad back. If your short. I'm 5'1" tall. So, for me to reach the steering handle and to sit properly so i don't aggrivate my back. I bring a back cushion along. I also made a cover out of boat type material from joann fabric, so i could cover and secure the back cushion. That way i didn't have to bring my cushion with me for every ride, plus if it rained my cushion stayed dry. I wouldn't have left it on the scooter because someone could easily pick it up, and well it would leave me in pain, so thats why i tie it down.

Jerky affect. If your in tight quarters, lines etc with the ecv turn your speed down as slow as it goes, people stop and start and if you lift your hand off the go handle you jerk and may aggrivate your back. So if your out in the open wide paths not lots of people feel free to turn up the power, but in close quarters remember to turn your speed down to avoid the whip lash affect.

If i wanted to get out and walk, which i do at certain times of the day when things are less crowded. I tend to park off to the side, sometimes in a stroller parking area.

Renting offsite give you access to the ecv at the resort, and to and from the bus stops to the parks, which can be rough at the end of a long day at the park.
Connie

To be in pain and walk through the park or to be in less pain and drive is a no brainer decision for me. It's faster for us in a scooter; so, we can accomplish more. We don't get played out and we last longer in the parks; so, we can enjoy our vacation more. It's a joy to have one for a parade and/or fireworks.

If you block an important area; there may be safety issues; so, you need to be considerate of where you park. Obviously, don't park in a door area anywhere. One time we were evidently in the way of the AK parade and they moved our Disney ECVs while we were in a shop. I thought we were parked fine, but we were evidently there at the wrong time. If the parade wasn't at that time we would have probably been safe where we parked. Anyway, I did panic a little at that point but by looking around, we found them in the immediate area. I don't know if they could have moved an outside rented one, but evidently they have a master key or something for their own ECVs. Another time we were parked in the middle of Main St. listening to the Barbershop Quartet and a cast member told us to move. There were people all around us not being asked to move; so, this bothered me a little bit. The only thing I could figure was the Main St. Vehicles that travel down Main St. might have been in harms way. We obliged. They gave us the disabilties brochure in this incident.

There are some attractions you can use your ECV right onto the ride or show. You have the right to park in handicap areas with a scooter for the parades and fireworks.

You need to be careful of your surroundings. Everyone and I mean everyone will dart in front of you. Thankfully, this doesn't happen every minute of the day. You need to stop suddenly or slow down or manuever around a situation when necessary.

ECVs are not a perfect answer, but we wouldn't go to WDW without them, now.

They don't have a master key, there's a manual operation switch on both the Disney and offsite ECVs; most CMs know where these are located or can find them to move an ECV if necessary - rarely, one will forget to switch it back - so if your ECV was working fine before, ask a Cast Member for help.

I would advise renting one from an off-site company, specifically Randy's Mobility (link and phone number in the Disabilities FAQ) if you've never used one before. They're less expensive, and they deliver TO you in your hotel room - and make sure you know how to operate the ECV, as well as how to disassemble/reassemble it if needed.

If you're traveling at ALL by car or taxi, you'll need to disassemble the ECV and lift it into the trunk. If no one in your party can do that, then rent each day at the parks. No, they're not as nice, but you may not have a choice. (Or use Disney transportation if you're on-site, even though it's dog-slow.)

I've done it both ways -- please PM me if you want more info.

We have a friend in the UK who rented an ECV for his trip to WDW last year. His wife said he was like a different man....freedom of movement for the first time in years.

Since he got back to the UK he has gotten his own.

I think it is nobody's business why you are in an EVC...and think of how much more fun you and your family will have without you being tired or out of breath or just in horrible pain. Plus....the EVC has a basket and you can be responsible for carrying all the souveniers!

Go for it!

There is information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board that details how to use the WDW buses with an ecv and also Cheshire Figments very nice instructions about transport with a car.
We almost always use the WDW transportion with DD's wheelchair. We do usually have a (regular) van. Interestingly, my FIL and MIL use the buses even if we drive because they feel the handicapped parking is too far to walk (it usually is farther than the bus). On times when they have taken the bus home and we have driven, we usually get back to our resort at about the same time as they do (leaving at the same time). So, buses may feel like they take longer, but it's actually pretty much a wash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter