Concierge over your bday

DCLCrazy64622

DIS Veteran
Hi,
I have never done concierge in the 16 cruises I have done on DCL. I am considering it for my daughter’s 12th bday in Feb. Does concierge do anything extra (like decorate the room) without having to pay for the decorative extras on top of concierge? Is the bday experience different in concierge than it is in the regular stateroom area? TIA!

Our son turned 10 on one cruise in concierge. There were a few minor decorations but probably not like when you purchase in room decorations (can’t compare since we have not done that before). Here is a pic of the towel “animal” for that day.

If you mention to your concierge hosts that your daughter is celebrating a birthday, it is possible there will be something special provided, but as always, pixie dust is not guaranteed. We were able to get my daughter a card signed by many characters, shortly after Guest Services stopped accepting items to be signed. I do not know if the hosts can arrange for room decorations, but you could certainly ask, and see if they mention a cost.

Have you thought about taking some decorations with you and slipping them to a CM with a note and tip and ask them to decorate a bit? Of course, they are working and could not do something elaborate but i bet they may be willing to help. Or divide your party and have one person sneak back to the room and decorate. We have done this many times.

We took decorations and decorated the room ourselves. We also made a change of magnets for our stateroom.door for the day

I cruised over my birthday in concierge a couple years ago. We also had the birthday cake towel "animal" and they put up a construction paper birthday card on our stateroom door with magnets also which was so nice of them! I hadn't expected anything - I've sailed on my birthday several times now since it tends to fall during the Southern itineraries which is our favorite.

We have found that it varies from cruise to cruise. Your cabin steward decorates the stateroom, so they have flexibility on what they do. Years ago, before the concierge lounge was established on the Wonder, we returned to our stateroom to find a "cake" created from Mickey treats. This was Rod and Glen, back when you would find your daily treats in your suite. A Mickey treat "cake" and a bucket of our favorite beer!

We splurged for concierge for our 30th wedding anniversary. We got a Magical Moments certificate that they left in our fish.

That’s interesting. I thought staterooms doors in concierge were not magnetic.
The concierge doors on the Magic and Wonder are magnetic just like all the rest of the doors. And if you have a strong enough magnet (can't remember the specific type), it will work on the concierge doors on the Dream and Fantasy.

This ^. I always go in with low expectations so that I'm pleasantly surprised when the "magic" happens. As others have mentioned what they do/don't do very much varies depending on your host.
I would guess if you have a history of tipping well with the hosts you are cruising with, that would go a long way in getting pixie dusted as well

The concierge doors on the Magic and Wonder are magnetic just like all the rest of the doors. And if you have a strong enough magnet (can't remember the specific type), it will work on the concierge doors on the Dream and Fantasy.
You need to use neodymium magnets on the Dream/Fantasy concierge stateroom doors. They are made of metal but have an extra layer of wood veneer that makes regular magnets unusable.

Last edited:
Reactions: ajo
Hi,
I have never done concierge in the 16 cruises I have done on DCL. I am considering it for my daughter’s 12th bday in Feb. Does concierge do anything extra (like decorate the room) without having to pay for the decorative extras on top of concierge? Is the bday experience different in concierge than it is in the regular stateroom area? TIA!
We've been on a cruise for both my wife's birthday and my son's 8th birthday, both in concierge. In each case, we purchased the birthday decorations package. I don't recall them really doing anything special for my wife. For my son, they asked him what he wanted from the gift shops and "purchased" it for him as a present (something in the $30 range, iirc).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter