Concierge Tipping

We are staying in concierge for an upcoming cruise and I have some additional questions not answered here. (I come from a country that does not have a tipping culture, so I apologize if these sound silly)

1) If I understand correctly, tips are automatically added to the check-out bill at the end of the cruise, including the concierge room host. The discussion in this thread is tipping over the automatic tip for a thanks of a service above and beyond. Did I understand that correct?

3) If not automatic, do we tip cash at the time or how do we add it to the end of cruise bill? I'd prefer not to have to keep cash on hand?
1) You are incorrect. The automatic gratuities of 13.50$/guest/night cover the dining room servers and your stateroom attendant. This thread talks about the three concierge hosts, the concierge lounge bartender and the concierge lounge food attendant. The three concierge hosts act as your exclusive guests services. They are always in the concierge lounge and you can go to them for any request you may have. The bartender is available during happy hour to provide the included drinks. The food attendant refills the food à aigle in the lounge throughout the day.

3) There will be a way to add a tip for the concierge hosts to your onboard account on the tipping sheet you will receive. A lot of fellow guests pay them in cash but I prefer not to, so I go to guests services - the concierge hosts can do it but I’m uneasy adding the tips for someone by asking that person - and make the transaction there. The concierge hosts can add the gratuities for the bartender and the food attendant to your account and print a coupon to give them.

2) We rarely order room service, but the few times we did, we got items that are included. The delivery person did not present a slip or seem to have one in his possession so we chose to simply give cash instead of asking for the receipt to add the tip.

We also come from a culture where tipping is not the norm except in very specific context where the percentages are understood and easily added with the electronic payment terminals. We also are getting rid of cash in most cases - in fast food restaurants, young employees are genuinely surprised if you hand out cash. When we travel to the US, outside of the WDW bubble, we are always taken aback by the cash and tipping culture.

Do we need cash to tip the bartender during happy hour? Not sure how we would charge to the onboard account if not being charged for the drink.

1) You are incorrect. The automatic gratuities of 13.50$/guest/night cover the dining room servers and your stateroom attendant. This thread talks about the three concierge hosts, the concierge lounge bartender and the concierge lounge food attendant. The three concierge hosts act as your exclusive guests services. They are always in the concierge lounge and you can go to them for any request you may have. The bartender is available during happy hour to provide the included drinks. The food attendant refills the food à aigle in the lounge throughout the day.

3) There will be a way to add a tip for the concierge hosts to your onboard account on the tipping sheet you will receive. A lot of fellow guests pay them in cash but I prefer not to, so I go to guests services - the concierge hosts can do it but I’m uneasy adding the tips for someone by asking that person - and make the transaction there. The concierge hosts can add the gratuities for the bartender and the food attendant to your account and print a coupon to give them.

2) We rarely order room service, but the few times we did, we got items that are included. The delivery person did not present a slip or seem to have one in his possession so we chose to simply give cash instead of asking for the receipt to add the tip.

We also come from a culture where tipping is not the norm except in very specific context where the percentages are understood and easily added with the electronic payment terminals. We also are getting rid of cash in most cases - in fast food restaurants, young employees are genuinely surprised if you hand out cash. When we travel to the US, outside of the WDW bubble, we are always taken aback by the cash and tipping culture.

Do we need cash to tip the bartender during happy hour? Not sure how we would charge to the onboard account if not being charged for the drink.
The bartender is assigned to the lounge for the duration of the cruise. I don‘t think I’ve ever seen anyone tip him/her when receiving the drinks. The usual moment to do so is at the end of the cruise. We usually meet a Concierge host and ask that a coupon be printed for that CM with the specified amount, which is paid through the onboard account. You can also pay cash at the end of the cruise.

We normally tip in cash throughout the cruise but you can add the tip to your onboard account if you want to.

We tip the bartender, Lounge host, and Asst lounge host, in addition to the main Concierge staff. We do it in cash at the end of the cruise. In my case the lounge host will make me almond milk cappuccinos in the espresso machine. It's a little bit of a process, so I throw in a little extra for that.

There is a lot of different information out there. We have tipped the hosts based on this chart:

Note: Those #'s are total and not per person. We bring cash to tip the bartenders and lounge hosts (people that take your dishes/restock the food). I've given usually around $60 to the lounge hosts (depending in cruise length) and up to $100 for the bartenders (also varies based on cruise length).

There is a lot of different information out there. We have tipped the hosts based on this chart:
View attachment 471495

Note: Those #'s are total and not per person. We bring cash to tip the bartenders and lounge hosts (people that take your dishes/restock the food). I've given usually around $60 to the lounge hosts (depending in cruise length) and up to $100 for the bartenders (also varies based on cruise length).
This is very much in line with how we've tipped in the past.

View attachment 471495

Those amounts are VERY HIGH. I talked with a few people in the Concierge Lounge on our last 7 night cruise and the general consensus was $300 ($100 for each host) regardless of party size. That seems to be a popular amount based on previous cruises.

Last edited:
View attachment 471495

This is probably not far off of what we have tipped of late. We tip based on our need for the hosts while on board and overall service level and not a formal chart but I would say we are in the same ball park.

This is probably not far off of what we have tipped of late. We tip based on our need for the hosts while on board and overall service level and not a formal chart but I would say we are in the same ball park.

I use the chart as a baseline and definitely do adjust based on the onboard experience.

Room service is not part of the auto gratutities. Most people will tip $l.00 per item, or $5.00 for a full meal service.
I agree with the $1 per item for standard room service or $5 for several items like breakfast. However, if OP is staying in a suite, full dinner service from the MDR is usually coursed, includes linens, water service, etc. A $5 tip seems pretty low for a family getting that kind of service in room.

I agree with the $1 per item for standard room service or $5 for several items like breakfast. However, if OP is staying in a suite, full dinner service from the MDR is usually coursed, includes linens, water service, etc. A $5 tip seems pretty low for a family getting that kind of service in room.
Well, I was thinking regular room service. And that would be $5.00 for each meal. 4 people ordering a full meal = $20.00

Just got off a 5 night on the wonder today. We had 2 adults and a 3 year old. We tipped the concierge hosts $300, each lounge attendant $20, and the bartender $40. Sometimes we tip more, sometimes less. Just depends on how much we utilize the lounge and all the services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!