Conflicted about when to go this December

emily nicole

DIS Veteran
I know SWGE makes this hard to predict but I’d love any and all advice. We have never been in December. This has been a trip long planned and saved for to experience the Christmas season, before we knew about SWGE. My 66 year old mom is so looking forward to it. We are staying at FQ.

Would you choose:
December 1-11
December 8-18

I’m conflicted because Thanksgiving falls so late this year which I worry might impact crowds the first set of dates, and the next is getting awfully close to Christmas breaks towards the end of it.

Thoughts?

Probably six of one, half dozen of the other.

I’d probably be inclined to do the first set of dates, but I’m not sure it really matters.

Both are nice long windows, so there is plenty of time to enjoy everything WDW has to offer whatever the SWGE crowd situation ends up being.

Have fun.

Curious what others think. We did our last trip the week right after Thanksgiving and had a great time with very manageable crowds. This was 2 years ago. In planning our trip this year (before the opening date of SWGE was announced), we also had the same concern about Thanksgiving falling so late, and wondered if we should go the week before in Mid-November or after Thanksgiving. We ended up booking for an early December Trip falling in the same time frame you are looking at.

Now when I go look at room rates for AoA for instance, Disney has early December from $176-201/night, whereas the later time frame you are looking at is priced out at $201-253! So if they base their room rates on crowd/demand, then it looks like it would be more expensive and crowded for a mid-December visit.

I’d probably be inclined to do the first set of dates, but I’m not sure it really matters.

Both are nice long windows, so there is plenty of time to enjoy everything WDW has to offer whatever the SWGE crowd situation ends up being.

Have fun.

Yep, completely agree. It will make no difference whatsoever. The entire month of December is busy, but the big crush is Xmas to New Years. The first few weeks in December are probably all about the same.

I'd go with the first choice, but I personally have so much to do the week before Christmas and would want time to enjoy the holiday at home.

We used to go the first full week of Dec. and the crowds were so low but times have changed. I'd tell you to check a crowd calendar but times are changing so fast that they are not as accurate as they used to be.

Curious what others think. We did our last trip the week right after Thanksgiving and had a great time with very manageable crowds. This was 2 years ago. In planning our trip this year (before the opening date of SWGE was announced), we also had the same concern about Thanksgiving falling so late, and wondered if we should go the week before in Mid-November or after Thanksgiving. We ended up booking for an early December Trip falling in the same time frame you are looking at.

Now when I go look at room rates for AoA for instance, Disney has early December from $176-201/night, whereas the later time frame you are looking at is priced out at $201-253! So if they base their room rates on crowd/demand, then it looks like it would be more expensive and crowded for a mid-December visit.

Looking at room rates as a barometer of crowd levels is an awesome idea.

Pop Warner is the 6-13th which puts another wrinkle into the decision. The first few days of Pop won't make much of a difference, but as teams lose their tournaments, more of them do hit the parks. There will also be a celebration at one of the parks on one of the nights toward the end of that week. That usually closes that park early, but don't know if that will happen this year.

So the 1-11 means the end of your trip could see some higher crowds due to Pop teams hitting the parks.
8-18 means the beginning of your trip is a little more crowded.
I would say the weekend of the 1-11 time frame will be less crowded than the weekend of the 8-18.

I know SWGE makes this hard to predict but I’d love any and all advice. We have never been in December. This has been a trip long planned and saved for to experience the Christmas season, before we knew about SWGE. My 66 year old mom is so looking forward to it. We are staying at FQ.

Would you choose:
December 1-11
December 8-18

I’m conflicted because Thanksgiving falls so late this year which I worry might impact crowds the first set of dates, and the next is getting awfully close to Christmas breaks towards the end of it.

Thoughts?
Probably somewhere in the middle, as in part of one set and part of another. Either way ten days is a nice, long period of time to experience WDW so no matter what you'll have a good amount of time to get the best from the parks?

Statistically / historically, Dec. 1-11 will have lower crowds than the 8th-18th. Also, chances are that the weather will be slightly warmer the beginning of Dec. vs. the middle. I'd go with Dec 1-11th if it were me...

FYI, the current bounceback offer has had very little availability for the second week of December since January. And many rooms are full even at rack rate.. so if you are anticipating discounts, just be aware they may be very limited. You might want to see which time period has the rooms available that you are looking for & go from there.

Have fun.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Personally, I would do whichever is cheapest when you factor in all costs - airfare, resort, etc. We've done both timeframes and, honestly, in our experience, as long as you are out of there by the Saturday before Christmas, it's all good. As PP's have mentioned, you are also planning to be there a long time and will have the time to fit in everything you would like to experience.

FQ is unavailable for your first set of dates. If you have your heart set on staying there, that will determine when you go.

I don't even think Disney got it right this year with the room rates, since the resorts the first week of December are nearly booked solid. Yet, the All Stars are averaging $115/night for my stay. I think that's only because they are booked and unavailable during pop warner, and people aren't able to book longer stays at any of them, thus keeping the rates down.

I would vote for Dec 1 - 11. I think the Thanksgiving crowds will be clearing out by that time and Pop Warner is later.

Have a great trip!

FQ is unavailable for your first set of dates. If you have your heart set on staying there, that will determine when you go.

Oh, you’re right. :( there was a Garden View open yesterday but I hesitated to grab it and it is gone today. We are set on FQ after trying a lot of different resorts, it’s our favorite by far.

I already have the second set of dates booked at FQ so all is not lost... but I’ll keep checking and might switch dates if I have the chance.

Thanks everyone for your input!

We went the 1st week of Dec in 2017 and 2014. For the 2017 trip, we felt the parks were noticeably more crowded. I would imagine that the crowds build somewhat (more locals on weekends and at MVMCP and CP) the closer you get to Christmas week, when they surge. I would go with the first week depending on availability and rates.

Having been both times I give the hands down vote to the first time frame. Though with SWGE NONE of us know what to expect--except crowds........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter