Confused on strategy - me vs. touring plans

mdtravel

Earning My Ears
So I've booked my trip. My 8 year old daughter and I are staying at one of the Universal resorts (so we get express pass) and I bought early admission; it ended up being less expensive to do it that way.

My main focus is Harry Potter stuff; the kiddo loves it. We will check in this Friday afternoon and check out on Tuesday. Right now I have a four day park pass w/ park hop option. I may add another day after I get there if I think we'll do anything on Tuesday morning, but my plan is to enter the parks for the first time Friday afternoon.

I used the Touring Plans website to see what their system would recommend, and it confused me. According to their automated system, on Saturday morning I should first go to Diagon Alley, spend an hour there, and then and only then go to Escape from Gringott's. I've never been there before, but I would think that I would want to use my early access to queue up for Gringott's and not the walk around Diagon Alley. My personal thought was to get in early, hit Gringott's, hit Gringott's again, then walk Diagon Alley, take the train to Hogsmeade, and have breakfast at the Three Broomsticks (10:00 reservation), then take a break at the hotel / pool for a while and head back later in the afternoon.

Does anyone have experience enough to critique my plan vs. Touring Plans?

I've never used Touring Plans, but maybe that is because you will have ep to the ride so don't need to queue early, and you can experience the shops with fewer people around.
I'm confused about the buying early admission. That never cost extra before, but it has been a couple of years since we've been there. Is that something new?

You don't need to use a touring plan. Highly unnecessary when you have express passes and even without those, I find they give really whack advice for Universal.
I do, however, agree with the roaming Diagon Alley first. Buy your wand, do your magic and take it all in while the crowds are low. The line for Gringotts is cool (I recommend doing the normal line once instead of the EP line) so it's really not a hardship to have a wait after some sightseeing.
I'd just discard your touring plan and wing it. You have a few days, you're on site and you have EPs. You won;t miss anything.
Also, I don't understand where you paid for early entry?? That's a standard, free perk staying at any onsite hotel.

The beauty of having several days at Universal with the express pass from the deluxe resorts is that you don't need a touring plan.

Do you mean that you got early entry from staying at one of the less expensive Universal resorts and then purchased the express pass?

The other issue with the lines during early entry is all the non-Express pass people from onsite hotel use the time to rush to the rides and ride a few times. So the ride line can actually be a little longer during early entry than right afterwards or evening. We like to use the early morning to sitesee and do spells and then ride HP rides in the evenings.

Also wanted to add if you have 4 day tickets adding another day is going to be bumping up to an annual pass and you’ll be shocked at how imexpensive it is. After entering the first day go to guest services and upgrade. Right now some people are upgrading for pennies (depending on the pass).

Which hotel are you at? If it’s any of the Universal hotels it comes with early entry so you should be able to cancel that...or did you mean you bought Express Pass?

Any other questions you haveits a great group to ask!

I've never used Touring Plans, but maybe that is because you will have ep to the ride so don't need to queue early, and you can experience the shops with fewer people around.
I'm confused about the buying early admission. That never cost extra before, but it has been a couple of years since we've been there. Is that something new?

You're right...early admission came with the room. My bad...first timer!

The beauty of having several days at Universal with the express pass from the deluxe resorts is that you don't need a touring plan.

Do you mean that you got early entry from staying at one of the less expensive Universal resorts and then purchased the express pass?

Yes; sorry!

Thanks for all of the information folks.

I have self-planned vacations for myself; my wife and I; my wife, daughter and I; my wife and our four parents. All to Europe on around 20 trips. I have to admit, Universal seems every bit as complex and confusing as figuring out train times, museum openings, etc. in Italy!

I've been wondering how much more an extra day would cost us. I bought us both four day park to park passes with the express pass option (not early admission since I get that). If I do want to add an extra day or convert to an annual pass, at what point during my stay can I do that? Does it need to be before I enter? On the first day? At any time before the tickets I have expire?

So it sounds like for my first day, I should get there early, hit Diagon, then Gringott's. Interesting order, but I'll do it!

Wait now- you bought tickets with the express pass option? No! Unless you are staying at Sapphire Falls or Cabana Bay, you don't need to buy express passes. They come with your room. If you are staying at Hard Rock, Portofino or Royal Pacific, you don't need to buy anything beyond entrance tickets.

mdtravel, which hotel did you book?

If you plan to be in the two parks for the 4 days, you will see it all.

Suggest you read some of the stickies to guide you and go to www.universalorlando.com and get an idea of the park layouts.
Once you are familiar with how the two parks are laid out, you will not waste time searching for rides, shows, eateries, etc.

I always tell a newbie to know in advance where the restrooms, first aide and guest services are located
Know before you go and you won't wander trying to find them while in the park.

Touring Plans might be a swell thing for doing disney, but since you have 4 days with a possible 5th day in the parks, you will be fine not following their plan.

We're staying at Sapphire Falls.

I've mapped out the bathrooms, especially the family bathrooms and I've got guest services pinned down also. I've downloaded the app, along with pdf's of the park maps to use. I'll more thoroughly read through the stickies. I'm planning on taking a break each day (Sat, Sun, Mon) and returning to the room for a few hours. I don't know if my daughter will take a nap, but I'm sure she'll relax while watching me catch some Z's! i'm planning on getting to the park early each day, and likely staying late to be around when it is cooler and slightly less crowded.

Sapphire Falls is wonderful and you will enjoy that hotel.

It is not in the program for the free unlimited express passes, so I now understand you talking about buying the ep for your family.

You are allowed the Early Entry one hour to the designated park prior to general public opening.

If you run into a long ride wait, you and your daughter could use the SRL/single rider lines.
It is available to anyone.

I stay at one of the deluxe hotels and get the free EE during my stay.
Many times I use the SRL when they have a short wait.

You won't be seated next to your daughter usually but you could go first and then wait for her once she gets off the ride if you use these lines.

Not all rides will have the srl.

What dates for your trip?

We check in this Friday, June 1 and check out Tuesday, June 5. it's just her and I; Harry Potter is kind of 'our' thing. Been to the Cursed Child in London last year (while Mom shopped) and went to the studios outside of London as well. She's amped for this trip!

I think you should be fine with those dates.
You don't have many more sleeps until you leave for your vacation!

Use that early entry time period in the Potter sections.

I would wait and use the regular lines on the first day.

Saturday could have some crowds but use the EE even if it is the same park as the day before that opens early for the hotel guests.
This would be the only day you might consider to buy the one time usage per ride/show for the ep's
You can decide to do that when you are in the parks.

You can just do each morning of EE and then at 9:00, hit different sections in each park to completely do all the rides, shows, shops, etc.

Each EE morning guests can do the potter section and at least one ride outside of Potter, will be open

Take ponchos or mini umbrellas in case it rains.

The water taxis do not run if lightening is in the area.
You would have to take the bus back to Sfalls or walk back if the water taxis shut down.

We check in this Friday, June 1 and check out Tuesday, June 5. it's just her and I; Harry Potter is kind of 'our' thing. Been to the Cursed Child in London last year (while Mom shopped) and went to the studios outside of London as well. She's amped for this trip!

The HP areas do get packed during the day, but around early evening it really clears out. Once it starts to get too crowded we move on to other areas and then come back after dinner. It’s fantastic then!

Make sure you wander through the shops- even if not buying they are so incredibly themed and there are all kinds of little Easter eggs.

I agree with others - with four days with EP, you don't need a touring plan. If you want to explore the HP areas, the early park hour is a great way to do it.

You don't need to use a touring plan. Highly unnecessary when you have express passes and even without those, I find they give really whack advice for Universal.
I do, however, agree with the roaming Diagon Alley first. Buy your wand, do your magic and take it all in while the crowds are low. The line for Gringotts is cool (I recommend doing the normal line once instead of the EP line) so it's really not a hardship to have a wait after some sightseeing.
I'd just discard your touring plan and wing it. You have a few days, you're on site and you have EPs. You won;t miss anything.
Also, I don't understand where you paid for early entry?? That's a standard, free perk staying at any onsite hotel.

I can't remember anything different about the regular vs. EP line for Gringott's - but it's been a while since we've done it. What is different?

This would be the only day you might consider to buy the one time usage per ride/show for the ep's

I'm not sure that I follow this. I have already bought Express Pass Unlimited for our entire stay. Four day, two park, express pass unlimited. That change anything?

I agree with others - with four days with EP, you don't need a touring plan. If you want to explore the HP areas, the early park hour is a great way to do it.

I can't remember anything different about the regular vs. EP line for Gringott's - but it's been a while since we've done it. What is different?

I haven't had EPs yet. :) Research shows you do miss the photo opp, if you care. I wouldn't want to zip through the bank either (I assume you would with EPs?).

I'm not sure that I follow this. I have already bought Express Pass Unlimited for our entire stay. Four day, two park, express pass unlimited. That change anything?

I did not realize you bought the unlimited ep for your 4 days in the parks.

Since you have purchased them, enjoy using them.
The unlimited eps are expensive and many of us were trying to direct you how to manuver your way in the parks each day by using the regular ride lines.

But, since you have purchased them, use them for all the rides and shows in the parks.
You will not be rushed as your line waits in the ep lines will be short.

Saturdays are typically busy days in the parks especially if the weather is great.
More locals come then.

When you find a ride that you absolutely love, you can use the ep lines and repeat them as much as you want to.

As bchberhta mentioned, use the regular line for that potter ride so you do not miss anything!

The ep line for that ride skips a portion of a section.

I haven't had EPs yet. :) Research shows you do miss the photo opp, if you care. I wouldn't want to zip through the bank either (I assume you would with EPs?).
We've ridden probably a dozen times and the only time we got a picture was our last trip when we used EP. My wife hates 'forced pictures' so I remember any time it happens lol. And it was a really bad picture - there are 5 of us in the family and the person on either end was cut out of the picture.

Sometimes the EP line will zip you through the bank, but you can always stop and let people pass you if you want to look more.

I can't ever hear the audio in the hallway area so I have no idea what is being said there. Maybe you miss something down there??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter