confused on the draw to DVC

Yeah, I can understand the resale/direct, but we are new members coming in and hubby wanted the whole kit and kaboodle, so there ya go! If we need more points, yes we will go resale.

Whelp, I was vetoed and hubby wants to go every year plus be a member so we bought two 50 pt contracts direct today! At a certain point, he just had to think what he ultimately wanted and there you have it, folks. Ease, convenience and old age trumps all. Works for me! Whoo hooo!!

Congratulations and Welcome Home!

Which resort(s)?

Whelp, I was vetoed and hubby wants to go every year plus be a member so we bought two 50 pt contracts direct today! At a certain point, he just had to think what he ultimately wanted and there you have it, folks. Ease, convenience and old age trumps all. Works for me! Whoo hooo!!
Congrats. I responded above before reading the thread and now see that you already bought in. Welcome home!!

It took less than two weeks from "Confused on the draw to DVC" to owning! Congratulations!

Yeah, I can understand the resale/direct, but we are new members coming in and hubby wanted the whole kit and kaboodle, so there ya go! If we need more points, yes we will go resale.

The upside to this is the immediate recording and not having to hold your breath for months waiting for ROFR to clear. Also, if your vacation plans are more immediate, this is a better way to go. Also, with the most recent change to resale and your geographic location, being able to book at the newest resort with your points has value.

Since I'm out west, I'm pretty much exclusively going only to AUL and VGC, so being able to book at the newest resorts being built is worth zero to me. Plus, because of zoning restrictions, it's very unlikely there will be a DVC property built within the Anaheim Resort District.

Wow, that was quick, and pretty about face. I thought you might have given up DVC. Nothing wrong with changing mind and going Direct either.

At the end of the day, if you are going every year, and staying onsite, you are going to have nicer accommodations for not much more than what you were paying before, and possibly even cheaper. And that's not even counting all the other benefits you get for being a DVC member.

Congrats and Welcome Home!!!

Great3

Wow, that was quick, and pretty about face. I thought you might have given up DVC. Nothing wrong with changing mind and going Direct either.

At the end of the day, if you are going every year, and staying onsite, you are going to have nicer accommodations for not much more than what you were paying before, and possibly even cheaper. And that's not even counting all the other benefits you get for being a DVC member.

Congrats and Welcome Home!!!

Great3

thank you! It was while we were already in the process of canceling the resale that the email came through that 100 pts were offered, so both just so happened to occur together! We are very happy to be blue cardmembers, I know it can go away any day, but that along with the yearly and leisurely vaca is what he ultimately wanted, then so be it.

Like house ownership, if you're not up to the fees and commitment, don't go into it.

Depends on the house. Got a new job moved in 12 months and made 13% on the house after fees.

We move a ton but when I buy a house I buy with selling in mind. I look for houses that are quality but have aspects I can improve for little money that increase value or in areas with property values going up for various reason.

This may be something that you want to keep in mind when purchasing DVC. Just about the time you are getting ready to sell there may not be as many buyers. More supply then demand.

Gen Z is actually the largest generation in US history by a wide margin and Millenials are a wash with baby boomers.

Gen Z will be prime for that buying their first contract with young kids phase. Millenials will guess what... Be at the prime of having the first grand kid show up in the family (50yo).

So actually demand will be increasing (if society still likes Disney still at the same rate or higher).

I personally didn’t factor reselling at the time of purchase, I did factor renting out points (potentially indefinitely if for whatever reason we stopped going To DL) at some nominal rate (like $15/pt) to cover dues and some modest profit.

The numbers still worked! But timeshares and real estate are generally poor/illiquid investments compared to real securities. Buy a timeshare to use it, buy a house to live in it!

Ok, now I understand, so it's due to the family size that you guys basically are forced to book deluxe, gotcha! thank you!!!!
Definitely not our reason. "Forced" to go deluxe? You're kidding, right?
We do not like outside hallways and a zillion kids and cheerleaders. No thanks.
Should have bought DVC many years ago instead of 5 years ago. Great purchase.

Definitely not our reason. "Forced" to go deluxe? You're kidding, right?
We do not like outside hallways and a zillion kids and cheerleaders. No thanks.
Should have bought DVC many years ago instead of 5 years ago. Great purchase.

My apologies for this statement "forced" within my original post, which was made in light of my total innocence and ignorance. At the time I made this, I had no idea what was available in terms of accommodations. I will go back and edit my post so that it no longer creates any more confusion or offense. Again, my apologies for the poor use of the word "forced", it was said in complete blindness.

Thanks for understanding!

Depends on the house. Got a new job moved in 12 months and made 13% on the house after fees.

We move a ton but when I buy a house I buy with selling in mind. I look for houses that are quality but have aspects I can improve for little money that increase value or in areas with property values going up for various reason.

Gen Z is actually the largest generation in US history by a wide margin and Millenials are a wash with baby boomers.

Gen Z will be prime for that buying their first contract with young kids phase. Millenials will guess what... Be at the prime of having the first grand kid show up in the family (50yo).

So actually demand will be increasing (if society still likes Disney still at the same rate or higher).

I got my information from the US Census. I guess you think the US Census is wrong?

I did another search on www.kasasa.com/articles/generations/gen-x-gen-y-gen-z and this is what I found (cut & pasted from the site):

As of 2019, the breakdown by age looks like this:
  • Baby Boomers: Baby boomers were born between 1944 and 1964. They're current between 55-75 years old (76 million in U.S.)
  • Gen X: Gen X was born between 1965 - 1979 and are currently between 40-54 years old (82 million people in U.S.)
  • Gen Y: Gen Y, or Millennials, were born between 1980 and 1994. They are currently between 25-39 years old.
    • Gen Y.1 = 25-29 years old (31 million people in U.S.)
    • Gen Y.2 = 29-39 (42 million people in U.S.)
  • Gen Z: Gen Z is the newest generation to be named and were born between 1995 and 2015. They are currently between 4-24 years old (nearly 74 million in U.S.)
Based on this it doesn't look like Gen Z is the largest in US history. Gen Z covers 20 yrs, BB covers 20 yrs and beats Gen Z, Gen X only covers 14 yrs and beats Gen Z, Gen Y only covers 14 yrs and comes very close to Gen Z. So combined in 30-40 yrs based on these numbers Gen Y will be between 55 well over 100, not sure how many buyers would be in this group.

I still think the buying market will be reduced. Currently you have approximately 231 million potential buyers between BB, Gen X and Gen Y. Even with removing BB you currently have approximately 155 million potential buyers. Gen Z is only 74 million strong who in 30 yrs from now will be between 34 - 74 years old.

I still think it's something to consider. I'm not saying it should kill the deal but another angle to think about if you think that at some time in the future you will want to sell. That's all, no offense meant to anyone or any generation...

Well you have a different idea of what the gens are and everything I have heard and my information is from the census.

Millennials, were born between 1980 and 1994

Millennials are 81 to 96
Z is 97 and later

Also here is the data from the census this June.
https://www2.census.gov/programs-su...e-layouts/2010-2018/nc-est2018-agesex-res.csv
Here is a very easy to see breakdown of the data which direct reflects the dataset
https://www.statista.com/statistics/797321/us-population-by-generation/
Just do a search on Gen Z you will find article after article talking about how it's the largest in the US.

Also if I am not mistaken Millennials are overtaking baby boomers as the second largest group in the next year if they haven't already.

Well I don't know what to tell you, I guess even the so called experts don't agree on who falls into what category and it doesn't even matter to me as I don't plan on buying anymore points.

On the up side for us BB and based on your analysis I guess SS won't run out of money after all...that is very good news for us old folks and those future generations of old folks. :thumbsup2

Congratulations! Welcome Home!!

My apologies for this statement "forced" within my original post, which was made in light of my total innocence and ignorance. At the time I made this, I had no idea what was available in terms of accommodations. I will go back and edit my post so that it no longer creates any more confusion or offense. Again, my apologies for the poor use of the word "forced", it was said in complete blindness.

Thanks for understanding!
What a nice response! I overreacted and I apologize also. DVC has allowed us to always stay Deluxe and because we've been going to WDW since literally the Magic Kingdom opened, we are kicking ourselves not to have purchased DVC in 1991.
We would have come out smelling like a rose over the years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts