confused on the draw to DVC

Ok, now I understand, so it's due to the family size that you guys basically are forced to book deluxe, gotcha! thank you!!!!

No, that was not our reason for buying in 1992. It was just Mom and I, and we had made one prior trip to Disney World, but we both were originally from California and were big DIsneyland fans. Our first Trip to Disney we stayed in a tower room at the Contemporary, and loved it. It was supposed to be a one time trip, as we still had family and friends in CA, so we could go to Disneyland without worrying about hotels. The next year, we decided to go to WDW again, and again stayed at the Contemporary in a tower room...this trip the hotel was $2000, a lot of money in 1992 for lodging, and that was with a Magic Kingdom Club discount.

Mom was 68, I was 34 at the time. The only onsite DVC resort was OKW. We heard a young couple raving about the Disney condos on the monorail one morning on our way to EPCOT, so we stopped and made an appointment to see them the next morning, never thinking we'd actually want a timeshare. Well, Mom was overwhelmed, I was cautious, but we purchased the minimum of 230 points. With plans to stay mostly in studios, that would give us about 3 weeks per year. Well, it wasn't long before we added on points, actually we added on 3 times, bringing our total to 345. We started occasionally bringing friends and family from time to time, and getting two studios. It helped that a sales promotion in those early years was free park passes when staying at DVC on your points until 1999.

Soon we started alternating between studios and one bedrooms, just for the two of us. It was great having the kitchen and having breakfast & late night sandwiches in the room. Plus the jacuzzi tub for Mom with her hip surgeries. Now that I'm older, I often get a one bedroom at OKW just for myself.

That said, if you're perfectly happy in Values or Moderates, DVC may not be for you, Mom and I often drove to Disney, and we allowed extra time in case or road delays, so if we arrived a day early, we'd usually stay at POP that first night. POP is nice, but for us, we really couldn't see spending an entire stay there, and preferred OKW. Though the food court at POP is much better than the quick service at OKW. But we usually preferred table service meals. Mom was a big eater, but never weighed more than 140, in fact, while I was growing up, she was always under 100 pounds. Sadly, I, on the other hand...found the fat gene.

It really boils down to your comfort level, and what you want. .Do you want just a basic room like a studio, or do you like relaxing in a living room area, and having a kitchen? Also I think your average length of stay would be a key factor. 4 days, a value, moderate or studio is fine. Longer than that, and I really prefer the one bedrooms.

Last edited:
Ok, now I understand, so it's due to the family size that you guys basically are forced to book deluxe, gotcha! thank you!!!!

Not necessarily, we are empty nesters and just bought DVC. Our “kids” will still go with us sometimes and in the future maybe their families, but my wife and I simply enjoy having more room. We will be staying in 1-Bedrooms even if it’s just the two of us.

We have been to Disney a lot over the years and wish we had bought in sooner, but only recently have we been able afford the luxury purchase, which is really what it is.

You should definitely consider renting points for a trip or two! We enjoyed the benefits of the Deluxe resorts while our kids were really small (nice playground, pools, restaurants, having our own balcony, etc) but the rack rate has been out-pricing us over the past few years. Since we've started renting points, I frequently find myself spending less per night than a moderate resort. We only rent studios.

Just my input!

We usually opt to stay at value/moderate hotels since we view it as a way to just hang our heads at night, spending most of our time at the parks.

Then DVC will never make sense to you. It's all about the prestige of relaxing at deluxe hotels, spending leisure times in the lounges and Club Level, and returning to the Disney bubble repeatedly, and as often as you can. If you're there for the Parks and the rides and being out there and in your room as little as possible, then spending serious amounts of money on an over-priced, under-branded timeshare will never make sense. Really just think of it like all the other timeshares in Orlando - it just has a Mickey head on it.

You should definitely consider renting points for a trip or two! We enjoyed the benefits of the Deluxe resorts while our kids were really small (nice playground, pools, restaurants, having our own balcony, etc) but the rack rate has been out-pricing us over the past few years. Since we've started renting points, I frequently find myself spending less per night than a moderate resort. We only rent studios.

Just my input!
This is probably a great idea for the OP. Just want to add, for studios, book early, book early, book early...try to book at least 6 months, preferably up to 11 months out for the best selection of studios, they book up quickly. You can book either through a DVC owner using our own DVC Rent/Trade Board, or using a reputable rental broker like The Timeshare Store or David's DVC Rentals

In 1996 when my husband and I first realized what DVC actually was we bought 220 points immediately. We were a family of three, now four (son is now married). We brought his friends, our friends, in laws and out laws (I've rethought the out laws thing) and stayed in all sizes of villas at most of the DVC resorts and even Vero, HH and exchanged overseas. Some vacations are geared to MK, others F & W at EPCOT, some are just resort stays but we get our points charts and a calendar out and decide what WE really want, not what is on sale. We're there next week in a 1BR at OKW and our son and wife asked for an OKW Studio...the options are endless.

I have been crazy about Disney since BEFORE it was Disney...In the late 1960's it was just a small "introduction" area with a restaurant Steamboat Lilly (named after Walt's wife), surrounded by swamps and orange groves which grew into Downtown Disney and morphed into Disney Springs. We stayed at the "new" motels like Day's Inn and Howard Johnsons, but we had a blast. My husband and I married and continued to visit WDW and just outgrew POP and hotels outside the park before our son reached 8. EPCOT was such a draw to this smart (now Dr) boy which gave him a lifelong love of science, travel and geography. We focused on travel with him all over the US and internationally until high school limited our ability to go on extended vacations, however Disney was always there for us in a 3 hour flight and we went nearly every year.

Yes, we wanted to own a piece of Disney. It was about the price of a nice car and we originally financed but paid it off in 2 or 3 years. We have sold for profits and bought when a good deal appears. We now pay cash for resales. We've reaped the financial benefits over the years. There is a value there that is hard to quantify and only you can decide if you are drawn, like so many of us to DVC and Disney.

I suggest you rent points for a stay, even if it is short (Sunday through Friday is the "cheapest"). At $17-18 per point you can get a studio for around $150 at AKL (try at 11 months) or OKW around $170. Take a tour while you are there and be upfront - you don't know what the big deal is but you'd like to check it out. For the same price +/- you are paying now, you have the opportunity to see what we all love and I hope you go for it. Best of luck!

Hi there!

We are huge fans of WDW and plan on going at least 1 a year, maybe even 2x. We are new adoptive parents to a wonderful 5-year-old son. We usually opt to stay at value/moderate hotels since we view it as a way to just hang our heads at night, spending most of our time at the parks.

I feel like I'm in the dark with DVC - why do you have it? Am I missing something on why it's worth it to stay at a deluxe hotel? Any time I view the costs per night over the years we've gone, I can never wrap my head around why spending $500 vs $150 for a nicer room is worth it. I feel like I'm missing something! We are getting older, 46 and 49 respectively, and am wondering if you could enlighten us! Is it because you go with other family members whereas we are only a family of 3? I can then imagine if 2 families are going, then having more room and a small kitchen makes sense!!!!

Thank you in advance for your help with this! I really want to like DVC and no matter what I read or watch, no one really clues in WHY they chose it.

For us I don't want more uncomfortable bathroom or bed situations than home. That means I need at least a queen but preferably king and a nice bath area. My home is pretty standard so to feel like I'm downgrading on vacation... Well I just don't like it! We also like a balcony. We live in rainy and cold Pacific NW so when we go to Florida I want to bask in the ability to wake up and enjoy my coffee on the sunny and warm balcony. We don't go super hard on the parks so I like a nice place to go 'home' to. I would rather stay off site than a value resort....moderates are doable though.

I've done a value twice and just didn't like the vibe. It felt noisy and cheap. But it works for lots of people so enjoy saving a ton!

I use SW Visa all year and fly for free. It can be done. It's been a decades long strategy using DVC for accommodations, free flights, any 5-10% (even 15% this year - got $150 toward PH's) credit card cash back deals...every dollar counts. I think many DVC owners are solidly middle class, we just spend our money differently than some people. We personally don't drink, smoke, gamble or go out to eat (rarely) so that money, along with cash back on credit cards more than pays for most of our WDW trips, certainly way less than two weeks at a resort - well, anywhere. We can splurge or not, but we feel in control of our finances with no debt (it didn't happen overnight).

Thank you, everyone!!!! I think we are getting the lay of the land and my husband is already on board! This is very exciting!

Glad to hear. Just read, read, read, and than read some more. Once you understand the ins and outs of the DVC system, you will be much more comfortable jumping in the deep end, and will be able to easily recognize what value DVC will bring your family, and what the right choice is for your family.

Great3

Last edited:
We could stay in a regular hotel room - the family is small enough. But when our kids were young (they are now in college) we wanted them to be able to sleep in a different room. We call it the nookie tax. We liked having a washer and dryer in the room and being able to cook breakfast in the morning. This was in no way cheaper than staying in pretty much any other type of accomodation - except Disney suites. We could have gotten the same thing offsite for cheaper, but like using Disney transportation and not renting a car. We could have booked hotels onsite for cheaper - but liked the additional space. It isn't about need. Its about what you want from travel and what you can and choose to afford.

I think you need to continue to do your research, read as much as you can about DVC before making your final decision.

I also think its a good idea (as others have said) to rent points and try out the DVC accommodations before you buy. Know what your buying before you buy it.

It would be a good idea for you to try and determine the time of year you want to travel and where you want to stay. After you narrow that down you should spend some time reviewing the points charts to see how many points you need. That will depend on the time of year you travel, the size of room you need and what resort you are staying at.

After doing all this research you should be in a better place to make the decision if it's the right thing for you and your family. Only you can make that decision.

One more thing, if you decide to become a member I would suggest that you buy small contracts rather then one large contract. Example, 150 pts being total purchase, buy 3 contracts @ 50 points each. If at some point in time you decide you want to or need to sell its much easier to sell small contracts. They seem to sell faster and for more money. This is something I wish I had known when I first became a DVC member.

Good luck and have fun doing your research. :flower1:

Here’s the draw for us (2 adults in their 40s, no kids):
1) We would always stay in a deluxe (either YC or GF) and 600$ plus for a night seemed outrageous. I also hated the discount game of book, then keep calling and checking for/applying discounts. I can book now at 11 months and don’t need a discount code nor do I need to keep calling.
2) 1 bedrooms. We get a king bed, living area, and washer/dryer. We don’t cook but the big fridge is nice to store wine and snacks. The extra space is perfect to spread out and relax in - we don’t spend all day in the parks, so we use our resort and room a lot. I never realized how useful the washer and dryer would be until our first DVC stay.

If we didn’t own DVC, we wouldn’t be able to get a room with the washer/dryer or full size fridge. King and space, yes but it would be over 1000$ per night (or at least that’s what the Garden Suites were when we stayed there last).

Others have given great advice: rent points and ask yourself where you want to stay and if repeated Disney trips are what you want. Do NOT make an impulse buy while you are on vacation.

Thanks, All!

Of course, I don't enjoy the value resort stay, I just bear it and focus on the parks! I'd LOVE to stay in a deluxe, are you kidding me?! We often walk through the deluxe resorts and my son will see the magnificent pools and want to use them, but can't!!! I can see the perks, but man, the cost blows my mind!

Thanks! So, with DVC it doesn't actually cost $500 a night, gotcha. Thanks!!!
DVC basically allows you to stay in a deluxe resort for about the price of a value resort. If you stay at a value resort, your not really going to save money, but you’ll get a much better hotel and room. Compared to moderate resorts, you will save money. Compared to staying at deluxe resorts it’s a no brainer.

Yes, you need to put money up front, but if you buy resale you will most likely be able to get your money back when you sell it in the future as DVC has held up well over the years and has even gone up in most cases. Obviously it’s not guaranteed, but I think in order for prices to go down meaningfully in the future then it would need to be because demand for Disney in the future goes down. Which is possible, but I think it’s unlikely.

but I think in order for prices to go down meaningfully in the future then it would need to be because demand for Disney in the future goes down. Which is possible, but I think it’s unlikely.

DVC are right to use timeshares with an expiry date. By definition they have to go down in value at some point, eventually going to zero. Who knows when that will happen, but it will inevitable happen

We just bought ours on our last trip after it never making sense before. We are a value resort family(4 kids) who thinks the difference in price for deluxe resorts and DVC was way too high(plus no Free dining) and then we finally had a DVC rep who listened to our situation and who pointed out something that made sense for us. Being from Canada we could only get the Platinum annual pass and with the DVC we could get the gold. So we bought a minimum 75 point contract to a large degree for the benefits(yes I know they are not guaranteed). Our family(7 including my mom) will save $2900 US$, this year alone on our annual passes. We only spent 12kUS$ to buy DVC. For me that was a no brainer. Even if we got this benefit only for 2 years it would equal half the cost of DVC, in 4 years it would be completely covered. We have enough tickets that were unused from free dining trips this year that we will now be able to get Annual passes through the end of 2021 without having to pay another penny out of pocket towards tickets.

No we wouldn't have bought without this benefit but with it, even if it is taken away at some point, which I don't expect, it was for sure worth it to us. Plus in 2020 my wife and are using our points for a split stay BWV BW view and Poly as an adults only trip to use up the 2019 points. This is going to be a great treat and then the next time(2021) we likely are going to combine the 75 points from 3 years and get a 2 BDRM at our home resort OKW for a week. We are also looking forward to BLT 2DRM next August for a week as our friends wanted to rent their points to us for a year. It should be nice to stay right by the magic kingdom.

Thanks, All!

Of course, I don't enjoy the value resort stay, I just bear it and focus on the parks! I'd LOVE to stay in a deluxe, are you kidding me?! We often walk through the deluxe resorts and my son will see the magnificent pools and want to use them, but can't!!! I can see the perks, but man, the cost blows my mind!

Thanks! So, with DVC it doesn't actually cost $500 a night, gotcha. Thanks!!!
Honestly, we stayed many vacations at Value, Moderate (and twice at Deluxe) before we figured out that DVC made sense for us.
We bought early last year, and have never looked back. We LOVE it.
We bought resale, stalked until we found a great contract and then took the plunge. My points cost me $10 per point when I use them currently... that includes dues and initial buy in.
So... most vacations, our room costs us $100-$150 per night. Way cheaper than Deluxe.. and as we discovered on one trip, where our friends stayed at a value a few extra days, cheaper than value too.
I know DVC isn't for everyone, but it is for more people than realize it. It took us a long time to figure out that A) we liked the amenities, beds and space at Deluxe, B) we were going to continue to go to Disney every year even as the kids became adults and C) there was a resale market that made the purchase financially make sense for us.

We just bought ours on our last trip after it never making sense before. We are a value resort family(4 kids) who thinks the difference in price for deluxe resorts and DVC was way too high(plus no Free dining) and then we finally had a DVC rep who listened to our situation and who pointed out something that made sense for us. Being from Canada we could only get the Platinum annual pass and with the DVC we could get the gold. So we bought a minimum 75 point contract to a large degree for the benefits(yes I know they are not guaranteed). Our family(7 including my mom) will save $2900 US$, this year alone on our annual passes. We only spent 12kUS$ to buy DVC. For me that was a no brainer. Even if we got this benefit only for 2 years it would equal half the cost of DVC, in 4 years it would be completely covered. We have enough tickets that were unused from free dining trips this year that we will now be able to get Annual passes through the end of 2021 without having to pay another penny out of pocket towards tickets.

No we wouldn't have bought without this benefit but with it, even if it is taken away at some point, which I don't expect, it was for sure worth it to us. Plus in 2020 my wife and are using our points for a split stay BWV BW view and Poly as an adults only trip to use up the 2019 points. This is going to be a great treat and then the next time(2021) we likely are going to combine the 75 points from 3 years and get a 2 BDRM at our home resort OKW for a week. We are also looking forward to BLT 2DRM next August for a week as our friends wanted to rent their points to us for a year. It should be nice to stay right by the magic kingdom.
Oh no.... they’ve got you now!

Here’s my prediction. After staying at a Deluxe, your going to have a hard time going back to a value. You’ll get a bad case of addonitis and you’ll be adding points in a couple of years.

In the immortal words of Admiral Ackbar “It’s a trap!” 🤣

I use SW Visa all year and fly for free. It can be done. It's been a decades long strategy using DVC for accommodations, free flights, any 5-10% (even 15% this year - got $150 toward PH's) credit card cash back deals...every dollar counts. I think many DVC owners are solidly middle class, we just spend our money differently than some people. We personally don't drink, smoke, gamble or go out to eat (rarely) so that money, along with cash back on credit cards more than pays for most of our WDW trips, certainly way less than two weeks at a resort - well, anywhere. We can splurge or not, but we feel in control of our finances with no debt (it didn't happen overnight).
If you don’t smoke, drink, or go out to eat, how can you possibly accumulate enough cash back on credit cards? 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter