Connecting a portable travel router to Disney wifi (specifically at Fort Wilderness)

violetmouse

Earning My Ears
Hello,

We will be camping at Fort Wilderness for the first time ever next month. We will be staying for 2 weeks, and I will need to be completing some work while we're there. I have used a mini portable router when we have traveled before just for extra network security while I work/access my work files. Is this possible with Disney wifi?

Also, we have used a home camera in our RV during recent camping trips (not Fort Wilderness) because we recently adopted a puppy and we like to have eyes on him while we're out of the RV and he's in there alone. Typically I just connect the camera to the portable router and it has worked perfectly fine, but I just wanted to ask if anyone has done this before and had success at Disney specifically?

Both of these factors will greatly impact our trip so I'm trying to be prepared and understand everything as not to have any unexpected issues/disappointments.

Note: I posted this same post on the Disney Resort forum before I found this forum about Fort Wilderness specifically :)

Wifi at the Fort is variable. Those of us that need a reliable connection for work don't count on it. It may work great 75% of the time, but for conference calls and steady connections, that doesn't work. I think for your pet monitor, it should do fine. Band width and distance to an access point are the issues. If you have a site close to an AP, it seems decent most of the time. Evenings or when the Fort is very full, the bandwidth drops to a point where it isn't stable enough for work needs. Evenings are typically worst as people return from parks and everyone wants to jump on the internet.

j

We use the AT&T Nighthawk hotspot. We have an Arlo camera and a Temp Stick both connected to it and that works fine for us. We can get a 15, 30, or 60 minute report on the RV's inside temp and we can stream video from the RV or arm the Arlo for motion or sound alerts. Works at FW fine and worked all the way to Alaska and back as long as we had cell service (spotty transiting Canada). I can also stream video (Netflix, etc) when I'm in the RV. Doing that, however, I really have to keep track of the data consumed. I can't "binge" watch, as that burns through my monthly data plan. But that's not the primary reason we have this set-up. Monitoring Rosey and the coach temp...works for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter