Connection in Atlanta without jetway????

D L and K's Mom

<font color=blue>D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!<
Has anyone flew into Atlanta airport and had to get out of the plane withoutt he use of a jetway? We did this last trip with DS and it was a mess. I am assured this will not be a problem this time as they will have someone there to meet us and use the lift. The other problem we encountered is that we could not get up the steps into the airport...anyone ever had this problem???Delta promised it will not be a repeat of last trip...carried DS up 2 flights of cement steps...no elevator to be found.

It darn well better not be a problem! That's just appalling!

There has to be a way from the tarmac into the building without stairs. Make the crew find it for you!

When hubby takes his ECV we try very hard to get the direct flight from HSV to MCO, but there may come a time when we will need to change planes in Atlanta.

He will gate check his ECV for all legs so they MUST have a way to get ECVs and wheelchairs into the building.

Carol

BIG, HUGE,MESS last time (December) to make it short and sweet they (DELTA) never had anyone with the lift come to the plane...we had to carry DS off in the rain...our wheelchair was waiting for us...in the rain....could not get into the airport (Remember we were outside on the "runway" where the plane had landed and taxied in. Wrote a letter was ignored. Wrote another and sent it certified and they sent us new tickets...Although I told them I never wanted to fly them again as we had a terrible time flying out of cCncinatti on the return flight even though I had called again twice before we left Disney to make sure someone would be there to help DS on the flight....Well, we are trying it again with the tickets they sent. This time...I am bringing the camcorder just in case. I have called and they assure me it is all in the computer.......I will let you all know how it turns out when we return on Aug 23. I just dont know how they do this...I can't see a way to get into the "MAin airport" with the wheelchair. I am putting my trust in them as they assure me all will be OK this time.

I remember your ordeal last time. I think you are wise to bring the camcorder to document (but I hope you don't have a need to use it).
Thinking good thoughts and sending lots of pixie dust. I'll hope for good weather for you too. Even if everything works out right, it sounds like you still need goood weather since there's no jetway.
I don't know if it will help, but here's a number/information I found for customer service for the Atlanta airport:
Hours:
8:15 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. - Sunday through Saturday.

Customer Service Direct Line:
1-800-897-1910 or (404) 530-7300

And here's a number for the Hotline for Air Travelers with Disabilities:
(800) 778-4838 (voice)
(800) 455-9880 (TTY)

I flew through Atlanta on my way down to MCO, using a small plane, so we had to use the stairs. There IS an elevator - it was outside the tent coverings that you have to walk under. Unfortunately for me, I got to use it AFTER they had given my gate checked wheelchair to someone else! Yeah, I missed my connecting flight because we had to wait until it was found since the one other passenger on the flight that needed a chair took mine. I called Delta directly to ensure that I would not have to do the stairs and they had people there to assist to take me to the elevator. I made sure it was marked on my tickets and that all the flight attendants knew that I needed assistance on and off the plane and with the stairs. Besides the wheelchair incident (which may have been an honest mistake although someone should have noticed that it was not a Delta chair), everything went rather smoothly with the airports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter