connection through Toronto or Montreal?

hdrolfe

DIS Veteran
Hello - I'm looking at flights for a cruise in December. My direct flight just went from $450 for the two us, to over $1200 for the two of us... needless to say I don't want to pay that (and should have booked Friday... hindsight!). If I now have to look at non-direct flights, I am wondering if I should be looking at connecting through Montreal or Toronto, which would be better? We came home through Montreal once and it was not fun, but I'm not sure if going down would be better, or if Toronto is any better. Help! We are in Ottawa and I would look at Syracuse or Ogdensburg but this is December and I am not willing to risk driving that far in what could be bad weather.

So I realize that we are talking December, but did you look at direct flights from Montreal or Toronto? Driving to Toronto is a bit of a stretch (might as well drive to Syracuse) but Montreal is really not that far away.

In any event. connecting through anywhere is not ideal, as I'm sure you're aware. So "better" is a relative term. Toronto is incredibly slow to get baggage if you take Air Canada, but pretty efficient everywhere else. Even the US Customs point is much faster relative to a year ago. I can't really speak of Montreal since I've only been to the airport a couple of times.

One thing I would do is check on connecting through Newark, Philly, Reagan or Detroit, so you can avoid going through the process of going through customs and re-checking your bags in Toronto or Montreal on your way back. There are obvious disadvantages here - less frequent flights to Ottawa versus Toronto or Montreal comes to mind - but when you're talking about connections, minutes saved could end up saving you hours.

One thing that might help your decision is you no longer have to get your luggage to go to the US in Toronto. I have made a connecting flight to the States through Toronto (from Ottawa). They call up a picture of your baggage, you don't have to retrieve it. (Really confused me the first time, I was used to having to get the bag first). The line ups at US customs can be long at Pearson, but if you have a tight connection, the agents will work to get you through the line quicker. I found a hour to make a connection tight, I prefer a two hour wait. There are a lot flights between Ottawa and Toronto daily.

I don't think it matters much. Toronto is further out of the way (longer overall flight time), but has more direct flights to Orlando, so probably more options.

Personally, I would look at flying direct out of Montreal instead. It's usually faster and more straightforward than connecting. But then I'm not nervous of winter driving, and to each his (or her) own. :)

YOW->MCO direct for $225/person is a screaming deal at any time of year. I've never seen anything close to that. Sorry you missed it!

Thanks for all the replies. I forgot that I could go to the US from Ottawa first and connect through there, given the increased security changes that is looking like a better option. Still prefer not to change planes at all, my kiddo gets a bit sick on planes (at least he has the past couple times), but he loves our trips so is a champ and goes for it any way (if only I could convince him to take some gravol before we take off!) I am still hoping that direct flight down comes down in price again. I have a bit of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter