Conrad Roy & Michelle Carter - Thoughts?

I don’t have HBO so I won’t get to see it unless it hits Netflix.

Personally, I think she got off easy and can’t believe she has the nerve to try and get the Supreme Court to take a look at the case. She’s an awful human and I hope bad luck follows her for a long time. Not like, death to people in her family, more like she always gets a flat tire when she’s alone on a highway and has to walk five clicks in the rain.

I don’t have HBO so I won’t get to see it unless it hits Netflix.

Personally, I think she got off easy and can’t believe she has the nerve to try and get the Supreme Court to take a look at the case. She’s an awful human and I hope bad luck follows her for a long time. Not like, death to people in her family, more like she always gets a flat tire when she’s alone on a highway and has to walk five clicks in the rain.
The documentary is very, very objective - it doesn't canonize or unduly vilify either one of them. They were both extremely trouble young people, diagnosed and medicated for mental illnesses, and having been in in-patient treatment facilities following previous suicide attempts. What struck me most is how completely isolated they were (largely self-imposed) and apparently getting little-to-no actual understanding or support.

:sad1: I find this particularly heart-breaking because our own DS withdrew emotionally from us during his late adolescence. Blessedly, he maintained robust IRL relationships with many friends and a few key, trusted adults. We really didn't know, and probably never will, where his "head was at" during those years. Granted, even back in our day our parents only really knew what we told them about our inner lives, but in many ways there was just so much less to tell, KWIM? Social media and on-line communication makes today's world so much bigger and more perilous.

This case is seriously heartbreaking. A Youtuber named Stephanie Harlowe did a series of videos on it, and from what I've seen, this was the most thorough. A friend of mine lives in the area and knows some of Conrad's family and every time this gets brought back up in the media, it reopens the wound.

The documentary is very, very objective - it doesn't canonize or unduly vilify either one of them. They were both extremely trouble young people, diagnosed and medicated for mental illnesses, and having been in in-patient treatment facilities following previous suicide attempts. What struck me most is how completely isolated they were (largely self-imposed) and apparently getting little-to-no actual understanding or support.

:sad1: I find this particularly heart-breaking because our own DS withdrew emotionally from us during his late adolescence. Blessedly, he maintained robust IRL relationships with many friends and a few key, trusted adults. We really didn't know, and probably never will, where his "head was at" during those years. Granted, even back in our day our parents only really knew what we told them about our inner lives, but in many ways there was just so much less to tell, KWIM? Social media and on-line communication makes today's world so much bigger and more perilous.

This whole case touches a nerve, because I do know what happens in my husband’s head. If she had her own issues, that changes my thinking a little, but she still got off extremely easy.

This case is seriously heartbreaking. A Youtuber named Stephanie Harlowe did a series of videos on it, and from what I've seen, this was the most thorough. A friend of mine lives in the area and knows some of Conrad's family and every time this gets brought back up in the media, it reopens the wound.
Interestingly, his family participated in the HBO production; her's did not and neither did she although they were apparently invited to do so. Again I must stress I was impressed with the show that the information was presented (AFAIK) very fairly and without sensationalism.

I watched the trial and found her to be a very self absorbed young lady.
I believe what the defense said, she did for all the attention, to be the grieving girlfriend, sickening.
I need to watch this documentary.

Interestingly, his family participated in the HBO production; her's did not and neither did she although they were apparently invited to do so. Again I must stress I was impressed with the show that the information was presented (AFAIK) very fairly and without sensationalism.
I’m going to have to take a look at the documentary. Thanks for pointing it out. Stephanie’s are very thorough from my experience, but she does tend to interject her opinion. Having heard the texts between the two, there was something definitely wrong with both of them, but she did encourage him.

I'm watching it now. I think it's a complicated and tough case. What she did was wrong, but was it a crime under law? She didn't kill him, but she did urge him to. Is it bullying? I'm not sure, maybe the documentary will shed light.

I do remember this case well and it seems that they were both quite troubled. Did she act out of her own mental illness?

It is quite scary how deeply emotionally tortured teens can be....sometimes without any signs for their parents to pick up on. I was definitely a teen who went through some stuff-depression, anxiety, bullied, suicidal thoughts.....I look at my daughters now and it makes me sick & scared to think they might go through some of the feelings and emotional turmoil I went through.... & without my knowing. :(

I just watched an it is so disturbing on so many levels an I am conflicted about it really. I mean I feel she did encourage him an she should have called someone to stop him but there was plenty of evidence he was suicidal for quite sometime 🤷‍♀️ So sad honestly

While totally not an actual good source on the trial nor actual situation Lifetime did do a movie on it about a year ago. It was called Conrad & Michelle: If Words Could Kill . If you don't like Lifetime movies it's not worth watching though lol.

I may have to go check out the HBO documentary though because I was left feeling fairly digusted by the whole thing after watching the Lifetime movie. I do remember hearing about it in the news but I never really read too much into it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts