Considering 13-day transatlantic. Looking to hear about people's experiences..

Tulip2796

Mouseketeer
both adults and children (8 and 4). We are starting to consider the transatlantic. It would mean that our 2nd grader would miss the last 2 weeks of school (and specifically miss the last day) so that gives us some pause but this is also our last chance to do something like this as school next year and going forward will mean standardized state testing and final exams.

We did a 7-night western in 2016 on the Fantasy that we all loved. Did not feel too long. We got off the boat at every port and did excursions even though our youngest was just shy of his 3rd birthday.

Our concern now is whether 7 days at sea, in a row, will be too much for all of us - basically, will we be bored? Are there likely to be other kids on the sailing? Is there enough to keep the kids occupied? Pools on the ship are not a biggie for us or the kids. We found them really small. We live in a community that literally has its own waterpark for residents so most pools we encounter elsewhere pale in comparison.

What kind of activities for families are there on board during all those sea days in a row?

Basically, did you enjoy the longer cruise with all its' sea days and if so, what made it fun? TIA!

We have done the TA EASTBOUND THE LAST three years. It is mostly adults although there are kids onboard. It’s about 2300 passengers, less than 100 kids. Great cruise, lots of relaxing time. The kid pools are empty. If they like the kid clubs they are not crowded. There are movies and events on sea days but I’m not sure what kids do as ours are grown up. It’s a great way to see the world. We have never been bored.

both adults and children (8 and 4). We are starting to consider the transatlantic. It would mean that our 2nd grader would miss the last 2 weeks of school (and specifically miss the last day) so that gives us some pause but this is also our last chance to do something like this as school next year and going forward will mean standardized state testing and final exams.

We did a 7-night western in 2016 on the Fantasy that we all loved. Did not feel too long. We got off the boat at every port and did excursions even though our youngest was just shy of his 3rd birthday.

Our concern now is whether 7 days at sea, in a row, will be too much for all of us - basically, will we be bored? Are there likely to be other kids on the sailing? Is there enough to keep the kids occupied? Pools on the ship are not a biggie for us or the kids. We found them really small. We live in a community that literally has its own waterpark for residents so most pools we encounter elsewhere pale in comparison.

What kind of activities for families are there on board during all those sea days in a row?

Basically, did you enjoy the longer cruise with all its' sea days and if so, what made it fun? TIA!
There is lots to do on a transatlantic cruise, we never seem to have enough time to do everything we want to. They have lots of arts and crafts and games on the cruise. They also have special activities like the boat building competition.

We've done 2 transAtlantic cruises (one each way). I much prefer the east to west crossing. It's so much nicer gaining that extra hour 5 times than losing it.

That said, I'd do either one again. Our Westbound TA we had beautiful weather and crossing the Atlantic was like being on a lake (and it was the beginning of hurricane season). Now, our eastbound TA, a different story altogether. That notorious reputation the North Atlantic has showed itself in full force - icy wind, rough seas. Personally, I had no problem with it, but there were many onboard who didn't take it well.

Both TAs I've been on had fewer than 200 kids, most were on the younger side, more 4 year olds than teens. But from what I heard, the kids had fun because they were getting so much more attention from the youth counselors.

We did the EBPC (14 days) with our kids (11, 9, 7, at the time). It was during school and a lot of sea days. All of us still view it as our best cruise. Fewer kids meant more individualized time in the clubs, closer friendships for them, more pool time, and extra events that just aren’t available on shorter or more port intensive cruises.
Every family is different but for us sea days are the best days.

We are all about the sea days!
Our grandkids hate getting off the ship, they would LOVE 7 straight sea days.

The most I have had was 5 straight crossing from Hawaii to Vancouver, I was never bored. There are so many options to keep you as busy as you want to be. The best experience we had was being able to have a backstage tour of The Walt Disney Theater, this is something they only offer during the longer cruises. Don't miss it if you get the chance.

We did last year's WBTA with a 2 and 4 year old. Absolutely LOVED it. I would only say that if you have anyone who does/might get seasick, that could make the lots of sea days in a row less fun. My husband wasn't a huge fan of our 4 sea days in a row as he was a bit sensitive to the motion. Overall - DO IT! It's amazing. I would say that I LOVED 25 hour days (westbound) vs. 23 hour days (eastbound), but you're on vacation so you can nap to catch up!! :)

I so, so wish that I could do a transatlantic cruise. So many sea days...so many days, period...Such reasonable pricing given the length of the cruise.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if our schedules allowed it, but until I retire from teaching and my son graduates from school it will have to remain a pipe dream...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter