Considering a move to Florida......need advice.

Absolutely, living in a sub-tropical climate isn't for everyone -- Thank goodness! Difference is what makes life interesting. Renting for awhile, and especially making a longer visit in the season you are likely to like least is essential, IMO. (For the folks thinking of moving to the Villages based on 2 spring visits: you may want to think about spending at least a month in August/Sept to be sure. That area of the state is very muggy during hurricane season.)

In the Upper South they have a nickname for folks who move from the Tri-State area to Florida and then to their areas: they call them "halfbacks" -- as in, they moved half-way back north. It's often a really good compromise for folks who have decided they are mostly done with ice and snow, but who still prefer to have definite seasons, or who prefer more of a mountain vibe.

Personally, I'd prefer not to ever live in an age-restricted community; I prefer to be in an area that is widely diverse in every way. (I'm also pretty averse to typical suburbs, so that rules out a huge number of those types of communities in any case.)

My DS lives in the oldest part of St. Pete, and I love spending time there; the days of "God's waiting room" are long-gone.. Being able to roll out of bed, grab a rod, walk down to the pier and land dinner before breakfast is lovely, but so is browsing a different museum each day of the week, and the huge variety of ethnic food that is locally available is wonderful. I grew up in a sub-tropical climate, and although I've lived in the midwest for over 30 years now, my body is always happiest where the air stays pretty wet.

It is very uncommon for someone in our area to just move here "cold". Almost always they visit for a few weeks, then they stay for a month or two for a few years, then stretch it out to 3-6 months before finally buying a house/condo. On average I would say the transition from visiting to snowbird to resident takes around 5 years or so - but of course varies widely based upon how close to retirement they are. The ones that just up and move tend to be less happy, the ones who have stretched it out seem generally more content with things. (that's totally just from my experiences of course - but I do interact with a whole lot of snowbirds)

I think that the advice to spend August-Sept in Florida before you pick up stakes and permanently move there is a good idea. I say the same thing to people I know thinking of moving to AZ. My sister owns a small home in AZ, but lives in CA. She's had the AZ house for about 5 years now, I think. Because of just general life stuff (you know, working and all that), she has yet to spend more than a couple of days at a time here in the dead of summer.

You know...the time of year when it's "OMG, IT'S LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN AND EVEN THE SNAKES AND LIZARDS ARE HIDING" kind of hot.

Most of the time when she's here for longer lengths of time, it's NOT between June and September (when, to me, it's hottest). One time, she commented that she didn't think the weather here was that bad and I laughed out loud at her and said, "Spend an entire summer here some time and then let's see what you have to say about the heat." :rotfl2:

OP

Sounds like you need to do LOTS of homework so that your move is successful for you. I have purchased a "retirement" home in Florida. I am walking distance to the ocean (what we wanted) and in a "condo" community. It is not 55 and over, I was not interested in that for various reasons. Our community is not age restrictive but the bulk of the full timers are well over that. We have LOTS of amenities and activities, especially for the retired community. We are surrounded by entertainment, dining options, lots of free live music, festivals etc. St. Augustine.

I highly suggest you plan your vacations over the next five years to different places that your research would put in top 3-5. Like choosing a college but more important, you need to visit in person, get a feel for the area, the people etc. I would closely review the by-laws of any retirement community to be sure you can live within their rules. Many would prevent your kids from visiting more than a short visit or using any amenities. I would closely google and research any specific communities you are looking at; as a follower of Florida news it is quite common to see lawsuits, infighting, law intervention and hostile climates among residents for anything from gardens to vehicles to board members to assessments to politics etc. I would want my final community to have no issues that have become public headlines. I would look at the surrounding area and how close you are to outside amenities so down the road traveling to what you want isn't a production. If you are cruisers, closer to ports are good; if you are travelers, closer to airports; if you like seasons, farther north. Check closely INSURANCE and TAXES (they have to make up for no income tax somewhere). Check the financial health of the community, are there any assessments and what exactly they will take care of in regards to your home/property. And you have to merge your price point with what kind/size home you want.

We studied for 10 years before we made our final choice and haven't been sorry for one second.

Yeah, while it sits next to any kind of water ................. a beach in its physical form is the "sand". ;)

EXACTLY!!! My parents studied for only 5 years, for each of those five years they would winter is a different area of SE Florida, Miami, Hollywood, Lauderdale, Pompano and Boca Raton (they ended up in Highland Beach little itty bitty town 2 mile stretch of A1A, it doesn't go to the mainland, just the barrier island)

Its a slice of heaven!

Although we've not considered Florida, most 55+ communities have a time limit for house guests. We passed on this type of community because resale is more difficult and you may be moving into an area where most people could be waaaay older than you.

Although we've not considered Florida, most 55+ communities have a time limit for house guests. We passed on this type of community because resale is more difficult and you may be moving into an area where most people could be waaaay older than you.
The 55 plus places I know of in Florida sell very quickly. One of the reasons is the guest rule.

I think that as long as you are talking mid- to south- Florida, resale in 55+ communities is pretty solid as long as the economy in general is solid. (In a recession, all bets about home values are off.)
There is a pretty endless supply of retirees who want to live in Florida's warmer climes. Further north, not quite as much.

There is also such a thing as a 62+ community, and those are much harder to sell, as the law that establishes them limits ALL residents to that age group; no exceptions.

I've done a bit of checking on the terminology, and apparently, in real-estate speak, communities that are more liberal about younger family members are referred to as age-targeted, as opposed to age-restricted. I don't think that you'll see the difference noted in a home-sale ad, but if you work with a buyer's agent realtor, I'm sure they will be able to point you only at developments that will work for your family's needs. (I think shopping for a retirement spot is one of those times when it is really worthwhile to use that kind of agent; they will be able to save you a lot of time and effort by weeding out the places that won't work before you ever look at them.)

My inlaws retired from Hawaii to Palm Coast, Florida (wanted to be back on mainland and closer to family).

Built a beautiful home with a pool and we enjoyed visiting. However, within 5 years they packed up and sold as the population exploded and the area became way too crowded.

Moved to Tennessee on 15 acres.

I love our area in Florida- but we kept our house in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and spend winters here and summers there. It’s HOT and humid in Florida in the summer. I’m on the Gulf Coast, on a salt bay so on the water but not on the beach. It’s quiet here, with great fishing, and we kayak from our yard. We can take a boat out to the main Gulf in a few minutes. There are so many different areas of Florida- beaches, inter coastal waterway, rivers, pine woods, desert-like scrub, etc. So I would definitely echo the others with the advice to visit and rent for a bit to see where you want to be.

I think it’s really pretty terrible in the summer, however when my aunt moved to Cocoa Beach a number of years ago, she claimed that it was less hot and humid than central Missouri in the summer, and they were full timers from that time on. (Still are). So I guess it’s a matter of perspective. She felt called Missouri “Misery” at the time, due to the hot and humid summers and still says Cocoa Beach is less oppressive in the summer than her former home.

I’m NOT a 55+ community kind of person, but there are tons of them around. One thing that surprised me the most is that you can often buy a house for 40-85,000 or so in some of them. The kicker is the HOA fees. Since they have a clubhouse, a pool or two, etc, many of them are in the $800+/month just to start. There is a guy on Zillow selling his place for only $25,000. Now, it’s not fancy at all- but it’s definitely very much in line with the other houses in the community. He’s selling it (giving it away, really) because of the super high HOA fees that he can no longer manage. So keep that in mind with housing costs, because they can be quite significant.

We moved to Marco Island, FL at the end of July 2017 after vacationing here about ten years (with our Disney trips). Hurricane Irma made landfall on the island on Sept 10, 2017, about six weeks after we arrived. We had a tropical storm hit while we were looking at houses with the realtor in early June 2017 and another hit the day after the movers arrived with our furniture. We got a new roof out of Irma and got a very low interest SBA loan to install shutters and hurricane windows and doors. The average age on Marco is about 62; population goes from about 15K to 45K during the Season (Christmas to about Easter). Summer is hot, but not as hot as it was back in Louisiana since we get nice Gulf breezes. Median house price is about $550K, but ours was not that expensive. We are about 1.7 miles from the beach.

I have vacationed in Florida in the heat of summer so I know how hot it gets but its still much better than frost bite here in the north. I will take melting over freezing any day! I also work in a restaurant kitchen with no A/C so I can handle the heat. Yes the humidity sucks but its a trade off. At least I can soak in a swimming pool or ocean to cool off and still be outdoors. Here in the North we are stuck in the house to keep warm for months. We get depressed because we can't get the vitamin D from the sun and when you look out your window all you see is sadness. Brown grass, trees with no leaves, gray skies. It's downright depressing. . The pain you feel in your bones when your freezing and shivering is just ridiculously unbearable. I am so ready to be done with winter...... Give me palm trees, sunshine, flowers, and fruit trees anytime. Yes I would miss snow at Christmas but that is it. ha ha

We moved to a 55+ community in northern, central Florida, it will be 1 year next month. We LOVE it! We moved to Trilogy at Ocala Preserve
It’s a new 55+ community that does allow college age to live with you.
Prices for brand new house start at low 160’s. We bought our brand new house under $188 final, no hidden fees or assessments. They guarantee everything for 1 year in your home. We love everything no complaints!

It’s a must see beautiful community.
we looked all around Florida 22+ different communities.
Our HOA’s include cable & internet, outside lawn care & watering... a new roof when needed, outdoor painting, & power washing.
There is 2 pools, hot tubs restaurant, tennis, pickleball, bocce courts etc
The clubhouse has a gym, & so many classes to choose from. Plus we live on a PGA golf course! Breathtaking
I feel blessed.

they do have a stay & play weekend that you can come, stay in a home they have set up for you with everything you need... plus they give you $ 200 to spend at the restaurant, golf course, which by the way it’s $7 to play18 holes of golf 😀

if you want a stay & play I have a coupon for a free one, it waived the 99/ night that they gave me... pm me for details...
Come visit then move here we need more Disney lovers to go to Disney with!!!
It’s less than an hour 1/2 from my house😀

We moved to a 55+ community in northern, central Florida, it will be 1 year next month. We LOVE it! We moved to Trilogy at Ocala Preserve
It’s a new 55+ community that does allow college age to live with you.
Prices for brand new house start at low 160’s. We bought our brand new house under $188 final, no hidden fees or assessments. They guarantee everything for 1 year in your home. We love everything no complaints!

It’s a must see beautiful community.
we looked all around Florida 22+ different communities.
Our HOA’s include cable & internet, outside lawn care & watering... a new roof when needed, outdoor painting, & power washing.
The clubhouse has a gym, & so many classes to choose from. Plus we live on a PGA golf course! Breathtaking
I feel blessed.

they do have a stay & play weekend that you can come, stay in a home they have set up for you with everything you need... plus they give you $ 200 to spend at the restaurant, golf course, which by the way it’s $7 to play18 holes of golf 😀

if you want a stay & play I have a coupon for a free one, it waived the 99/ night that they gave me... pm me for details...
Come visit then move here we need more Disney lovers to go to Disney with!!!
It’s less than an hour 1/2 from my house😀
That sounds awesome!!!! If you don't mind me asking what are the HOA fees per month? Thanks!

$420
But that includes Cable TV & Internet.
Lots of channels to choose from, not just basic cable & the fastest internet ever... its faster than Comcast by far.
I used to pay $230 for cable & internet a month. I love not having that Bill.
this place was the only community that included this feature for the homeowners.Some didn’t even supply the outdoor watering you had to use your own water.

also, includes use of the club, pools live entertainment & events.

$420
Lots of channels to choose from, not just basic cable & the fastest internet ever... its faster than Comcast by far.
this place was the only community that included this feature for the homeowners.Some didn’t even supply the outdoor watering you had to use your own water.

Im sending you a PM

$420

Just spent some time on your community website and have a couple questions-

How long is your drive to a beach?
What airport do you use?

we wanted to be north, I grew up with my family traveling between one of our 3 houses. We summered in Florida every year in between Miami & Ft. Lauderdale.

we use Orlando MCO which is about an hour & 15 min. I’ve also used Tampa TPA airport which is another 10 min. Time.

I’ve also used Gainsville airport GNV which is 40 min.

I can usually find a great price
My husband gives community members rides to the airports here so these numbers are pretty exact!

The clubhouse has a gym, & so many classes to choose from.
Plus we live on a PGA golf course!

$420

But that would also include all your amenities with your pools, clubhouse etc too right? There is no member fee for that? That would be a very reasonable HOA fee.

When we were first looking I wanted an independent house (no community) because I was having a hard time with the monthly association fees. But I did the spread sheets and even paying those we save a great deal of money and get all the perks and security that comes with our community.

Just to give you another thing to think about. Once you are in Florida for awhile you might consider Ocala to be too far north.

I'm not sure why that would be other than maybe not wanting seasons.

We didn't want any part of being down south. My parents are close to Ft Lauderdale 7 mos out of the year. It is too far for anybody who drives down there. They want everyone to visit them and even though they are in nice condo overlooking beach, no one goes. They come back here summer months because it's unbearable down there. For them to drive back and forth to here is becoming difficult. We are in St. Augustine. We love it there and appreciate the cooler winter months where we can still swim in the pools and garden or sit on the beach. Honestly I wouldn't want to be any further south than Orlando. I can always do a long weekend down south if I want to enjoy something there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter