Considering a trip to TDR, lots of questions!

MyYearWithTheMouse

Disneyland Fan
We are considering a trip to TDR this summer if some other plans fall through. Otherwise we might come a different time. I have tons of questions, if you care to indulge me ;)

1. Is it worth it to stay in a Disney hotel?

2. We're looking at the week of July 4th. Are the crowds going to be completely horrible? Our home resort is DLR, any comparisons?

3. What are the food prices like? I saw the thread for picky eaters (kids will be 6yo and 4yo). Any other food tips?

4. How much time would we need to do a reasonable amount of stuff given the first or second week of July?

5. Any tips for adding on a visit to the city of Tokyo beforehand?

6. What's the Fastpass (or other--do they have FP?) situation for E Ticket rides?

Thanks so much!!

I can speak to a couple of your questions from my own experiences at the parks. July 4th isn't crazy busy like DLR as it's not a holiday and most kids are still in school till roughly the 3rd week of July. I think that slow at TDR is still much busier than slow at DLR. There is a FP system that functions like DLR and they generally do enforce return times in Japan.

I think food is cheaper at TDR. I was a bit shocked how much food was at DLR after three years away, especially in comparison to TDR, but I do miss a lot of the American snacks like a dole whip.

July is hot and sticky. The humidity is a killer. Take plenty of breaks with kids and stay hydrated. DisneySea has a little outdoor splash zone near the volcano that my kids like as well as one in Ariels Grotto.

I can't speak to if the TDR hotels are worth it. I've stayed at TDLH and the Ambassador and they are great. The 15 minute early entry is nice and the rooms and service are impeccable. I've never stayed at the nearby offsite hotels.

I would recommend at least three days for your park visit. You choose which park you want to visit for day one, the other park for day two and day three you are allowed to parkhop. If you stay at a TDRH and purchase tickets there, you can pay an upcharge and have park hopping all days. Also, no free transportation between the parks. If you stay at a TDRH, they will give you a monorail pass good for length of stay. (Edit: the Ambassador has a bus so no monorail pass from them)

Hope this helps. I'm sure others can share more info from their experiences. TDR is a fantastic place!!

Regarding picky eating children: you may have difficulty finding things your kids will eat. As children in Japan tend not to be picky eaters, the children's meals are pretty adventurous. It's not uncommon to find things like octopus on them.

This is a typical kids meal at TDR:

11159085793_49e5433ce1_z.jpg

Fastpasses work the same as in any other Disney Park. Return times are strictly enforced.

Here's a useful crowd calender (July will be added next month):

http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en

Please note that July 4 is not a holiday in Japan, ;)

I can't imagine traveling all the way to Japan just to visit Disney and not sending several days exploring Tokyo.

Thanks everyone! I do see some items on the kid's meal that mine will eat, so that's a plus. I wasn't sure what the crowds would be around the 4th since I don't know when typical TDR visitors are in school, on vacation, etc. I think it's pretty safe to assume we're not going to get red, white, and blue streamers and the Star Spangled Banner on the 4th ;) :rotfl:

We do plan to visit Tokyo prior to our TDR stay. Any tips for that, or good websites for exploring Tokyo with young children? Our kids are good travelers and have been overseas before, but like any trip with kids we always have to temper our expectations. Would love to see any resources for visiting Tokyo with kids or advice for those who have done it.

Any other tips welcomed!

- Yes if you're into Disney. The room theming is amazing, maintenance way better than DLH or GCH (or any other Disney property that we've been to). You can get the 'special' hoppers, and entry to the parks before the general public - even if its just to beat the 'race' (see youtube vids for TDR opening stampede)

2. We're looking at the week of July 4th. Are the crowds going to be completely horrible? Our home resort is DLR, any comparisons?

- We're there the 1st week (June 28-July 3rd). The crowd calendars show it being about as light as it gets (other than the 1st week of Jan). Weekends will be crowded no matter when you go.

3. What are the food prices like? I saw the thread for picky eaters (kids will be 6yo and 4yo). Any other food tips?

- Food prices seemed very reasonable compared to DL or WDW prices. Plenty of pizza places.

4. How much time would we need to do a reasonable amount of stuff given the first or second week of July?

- Our 1st trip to TDL was 3 days and it wasn't enough. We're going back for 5 this summer.

- Depends on what you want to see/do. Tokyo has everything. The Pokémon Center was on our Daughters must do list, along with the Studio Ghibli Museum.

6. What's the Fastpass (or other--do they have FP?) situation for E Ticket rides?

- Fastpasses are like the current DL setup. Return times enforced and they go like hot cakes, worse that RSR. Especially for Pooh, Toy Story, Center of the Earth.

It is hotter than the devil's boxer shorts in July. Be prepared to be sweating through your clothes. That being said, weekday visits shouldn't be too terribly busy. I think the longest we waited for anything was 30 min for Haunted Mansion on our last July visit.

I have never stayed at the Disney resorts, but the Hilton and Sheraton are both on the monorail line and way, way cheaper. You don't get the early 15 entry, but I don't think I could stomach the $450+ per night at the Disney resorts. Oh, and the pools at the resorts don't open until July 4th and you may be required to cover tattoos and wear a swim cap. Just an FYI.

We are considering a trip to TDR this summer if some other plans fall through. Otherwise we might come a different time. I have tons of questions, if you care to indulge me ;)

Yes... We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and it was ahhhhhmazing. I would recommend staying on property to get the full experience. We could walk out out he front door and be at the DL gate in 2 minutes. Service was excellent and complimentary jammies were our favorite ;)

We were there early June. I can't speak for crowds but it will be HOT and muggy. June was weather was decent but it started to get rainier and muggier towards the end of our trip.

Food through Japan is pretty expensive but I didn't find the TDR food to be way more expensive than Tokyo/Kyoto. Picky eaters just need to be creative. We took our kids (20mo & 6yo). We happen to be pescetarians and we were fine. Fortunately fish options were readily available. We did end up snacking for dinner a few nights. Waffles, popcorn, crepes etc...

We did 2 weeks. 5 nights at TDR, 5 in Tokyo 4 in Kyoto (plus travel) and it was perfect. We really wanted to see more of Japan though so it really depends on what you want to do and see. I would highly recommend spending some time outside of TDR to experience Japanese culture.

We flew into Tokyo and spent 3 nights before heading to TDR. We navigated 1 day on our own then hired a private tour guide for our second full day. I highly recommend getting a guide. With little one's it's well worth your money (and time). Tokyo is intimidating but very safe and there is a TON to do and see! I can send you our guide's info if you're interested.

The FP system is much like the old FP system at WDW. Good news is with the time change you'll likely wake up super early and be at rope drop every morning to secure the most valuable fast passes :thumbsup2

Thanks so much!!

Have fun!!! I can't wait to go back. Japan is incredible!!!!! It was very overwhelming to plan but we had the BEST time. Our friends thought we were insane for taking our 2 kids but it was so amazing :goodvibes

I'll second hiring a guide. We hired one for two days - one day to hit up Kamakoura and associated temples. The 2nd, for a crazy day of touring Tokyo. Her knowledge of the JR system was invaluable and saved us countless hours during rail hops and lines for tickets.

Are we allowed to bring in snacks and beverages such as granola bars and water bottles like they allow at DLR/WDW? Or do all food/drink purchases need to be made inside the park? Are there water fountains and such to refill water bottles?

What about those squirt bottles with the fan attached? I'm thinking of ways we can try to beat the heat. Being Southern Californians we can handle heat but not the humidity! Any other heat suggestions would be greatly appreciated :).

Yes, you can bring in snacks. I am trying to remember if there were water fountains, but I honestly can't remember. Lots of places in Japan have water fountains, so it probably won't be a problem.

Honestly, the humidity is just crazy. Last time we went in July, my son had completely sweat through his shirt before we got through the turnstile. You will see most of the Japanese completely cover their bodies with towels. Not sure if it keeps you cooler, but they seem to think so. You can also buy a sun umbrella when you arrive. They do help.

All the restaurants at TDR have water fountains in them and you can refill your bottles there. Its of varying degrees of cold though. I would suggest you use a thermal bottles that keep your drinks cold. Sometimes we walk to the gift shop on the bottom floor of the TDLH and buy large bottles of cold water to refill our drink bottles.

I carry a small towel with me in the summers - part to wipe away all the sweat and part because half the bathrooms in Japan don't have hand dryers (You kind of need a small washcloth size towel year round because many bathrooms have nothing to dry your hands). I would also suggest you hit the 100 yen store and buy fans to carry with you. Last summer Daiso had really cute plastic folding Disney fans. They really come in handy when standing in an outdoor, hot, stuffy line for a ride and if they get wet, they don't disintegrate like paper fans. You can also buy cool sheets at the 100 yen store. Its like a little package of hand wipes but the sheets are supposed to have something on them that makes you feel cooler. I've never used them, but I see them all the time.

And when the heat is really bad, go through the wet side at Aquatopia :)

I carry a small towel with me in the summers - part to wipe away all the sweat and part because half the bathrooms in Japan don't have hand dryers (You kind of need a small washcloth size towel year round because many bathrooms have nothing to dry your hands).

Yes! What is that about?! :rotfl2: I had forgotten about that but you're right. I didn't see a single paper towel in Japan. I thought, "Good, they're being Eco-friendly." But half the time the bathrooms didn't have hand dryers either... Or soap. I started watching Japanese women to see if I was missing something. Often they would just run their fingertips under the water for a nanosecond before leaving. Almost like it was more of a symbolic ritual rather than an attempt at washing.

I was in a restroom at Yoyogi Park one day with another American woman who looked so confused, searching all over for soap and towels. She finally looked to me for help. I said, "You just got here, huh?" :rotfl:

Now if someone could just explain to me why there are no trash cans on the streets... :scratchin

Oh, another thing I just remembered when dealing with not necessarily the heat, but the summer-- make absolutely sure you bring sunglasses, and have at least one backup pair in case yours break if you can.

Why, you might ask? Why can't you just buy a pair of sunglasses in the park if yours break? Because very, very few people wear sunglasses in Japan, so they are extremely difficult to find in the parks.

I am going to Tokyo in June 2016 and can't decide which hotel to stay. Since we are going that far and it is for my 50th birthday, I think it will be worth spending the money. Any personal opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Now I have been to Japan before but no to the Tokyo area. I spent a week in Takarazuka and surrounding areas. So I do know to bring a hanky to dry my hands and it doesn't hurt to have those little packs of toilet paper either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter