Considering Offsite, Worried About Losing the 'Magic'

Some other points to the above. You only lose out on morning EMH. You DO NOT have to leave the park on evening EMH. You just can't go on rides or attractions. You can shop, pin trade, eat, have dining reservations, stage shows, explore parts of the park you wouldn't otherwise. If you like the dining plan, you do lose out on that. For the 3 of us, the cost of a dining plan is my grocery bill for a month with just the QS plan. You can still make ADRs 180 days out. You should be able to get everything you want except the best times for CRT, Le Caliers, maybe one or two others. However, you have the amazing dining options offsite that are better and half the price. I have never had any issue with FPs 30 days out.

For our first trip, we stayed completely immersed in the "Disney bubble". I am feeling much more encouraged about staying offsite despite the few drawbacks that exist. The extra space with young children is crucial. If there is a non-sleeper in the bunch, the others can still sleep. It seems like WBC is what I am looking for in terms of space, experience, and price!

I opted not to do the dining plan after pricing both options out for our first trip. Even with several TS meals, we ended up saving $700 paying entirely OOP vs what we would have paid for the DDP. It seems rare that there is any true value to the DDP. I am excited to start researching some fun offsite dining options!

This is great advice! I had NO idea about any of this when I booked my first trip. I'm excited to look into this option more :) Thanks again for the great tip!

Do you have any names and contact info of Platinum VIP members you have worked with you could message me? I am definitely interested in going this route for our next trip!

Right now, I only have one name. I will ask to see if they are OK to share. The TUG site is always an easy place to find excellent renters. It is also a place to find names of people that are not good to rent through. The good news with Wyndham is that once it is in your name, they can't change it.

FYI, Wyndham Bonnet Creek IS on Disney property. Many people don't know this. As for restaurants, there are a ton of them. You have all your common chains. East of Disney (Disney Springs area), is very crowded. West of Disney (near AKL side) there are just as many and it is not as crazy. If your husband doesn't mind tossing some raw meat down, WBC has very nice gas grills right outside the buildings. Kids can swim, dad can have a beer and grill, and an excellent dinner for cheap is ready soon. First and only time I stayed there, I had no clue about the grills. I had a beer with a guy that had about 100 hot dogs going and 1 giant steak. We were just talking and having a beer. He was there with his very large family. They had about 8 rooms booked for everyone. He was cooking the hot dogs for everyone and eating his steak while doing it.

If you need that Disney feeling from WBC, it is just a short trip away. Boardwalk is less than 5 minute drive. Disney Springs is a short drive as well. You are not really even out of the bubble. I seriously though about buying a timeshare there after just the one trip. However, I talked with the person I rented from, did some education, and found it much cheaper to go through Platinum VIP members. Simply running the numbers makes it an easy decision to rent. A 1-week trip cost about $200 more than the maintenance fees and I have no lifelong obligation to it.

With the size of your group, it sounds to me like you'd be best off renting a house/townhouse/condo. We've stayed at Windsor Hills 4 times and have been pleased with it. I'm not going to tell you its the same magic you'd get at AKL and there's certainly no giraffes outside your window (at least there better not be!), but the complex has a really nice pool area and as described above, many of the units are decorated to the point you'd think you're at Disney. There's lots of websites out there for Windsor Hills (vacationcentralflorida.com + many others). The site I mentioned has plenty of pictures so you can get a feel for it. Most of their units run Saturday to Saturday, but not all. The drive into WDW is really easy from Windsor Hills. Cross 192 at one traffic light and the next one brings you out to the traffic light that leads into Animal Kingdom Lodge. Obviously, with a place like Windsor Hills or the surrounding communities (there's several) you'll need a car/van, etc. Windsor Hills might run a shuttle, but don't count on it.

I never stated it was owned by Disney. Just that it is on Disney property. Or, more exactly, contained within the Disney property lines.

Magic is what you make it. You can have a crappy time staying onsite and a fantastic time staying offsite.
This exactly!

I've posted a few times about this--we've stayed both on and off-site and have had amazing vacations. It just depends on our vacation "moods" at the time we're ready to book. I've rented homes and condos, and stayed at resorts, and honestly, have only gotten the "wow" factor from staying at a rental home. About three years ago we rented a 4-bedroom, 3-bath home with a heated pool and a game room in Legacy Park through VRBO for about $1400 for 7 days--talk about space, luxury, and relaxation! And while we didn't wake up to giraffes at our window, we did wake up to hot air balloons in flight every morning--just beautiful! But I like the freedom of not only spending time at WDW, but exploring the Orlando area as well--there are some amazing restaurants and great shopping. I just don't like paying for parking and having to drive home from a long day at the parks, but you do save money in other ways (meals). And as other posters have said, you don't get the benefits that people onsite are getting, but it's never been a huge issue for us--we are pretty laid back.

For our last two trips, we have stayed in houses with private pools offsite. The space to spread out, a calm environment to relax for the kids (after the crazy stimulation of the parks), and the ability to be sitting in the hot tub with a glass of wine after the kids are in bed are just some of the benefits. My three year old asks when we are going back to the "house with the Nemo pool" rather than asking to go back to Disney.

Right now, I only have one name. I will ask to see if they are OK to share. The TUG site is always an easy place to find excellent renters. It is also a place to find names of people that are not good to rent through. The good news with Wyndham is that once it is in your name, they can't change it.

FYI, Wyndham Bonnet Creek IS on Disney property. Many people don't know this. As for restaurants, there are a ton of them. You have all your common chains. East of Disney (Disney Springs area), is very crowded. West of Disney (near AKL side) there are just as many and it is not as crazy. If your husband doesn't mind tossing some raw meat down, WBC has very nice gas grills right outside the buildings. Kids can swim, dad can have a beer and grill, and an excellent dinner for cheap is ready soon. First and only time I stayed there, I had no clue about the grills. I had a beer with a guy that had about 100 hot dogs going and 1 giant steak. We were just talking and having a beer. He was there with his very large family. They had about 8 rooms booked for everyone. He was cooking the hot dogs for everyone and eating his steak while doing it.

If you need that Disney feeling from WBC, it is just a short trip away. Boardwalk is less than 5 minute drive. Disney Springs is a short drive as well. You are not really even out of the bubble. I seriously though about buying a timeshare there after just the one trip. However, I talked with the person I rented from, did some education, and found it much cheaper to go through Platinum VIP members. Simply running the numbers makes it an easy decision to rent. A 1-week trip cost about $200 more than the maintenance fees and I have no lifelong obligation to it.

If they are open to it, it would be wonderful to get their name! I went to the TUG website but was unsure of where to look for a person to rent from. It looked liked a forum for owners. I'm sure I just need to spend a little more time investigating the site :)

There is a link at the top for "Marketplace". I think it cost $15 for a year and you get something like 25 ads. That is how I met several. Even posting in the forums helps you get in contact with some. I paid the $15 for the year and got our 1BR for $560 for 7-nights. That is more than 50% off the cheapest Value studio room. We are going to do another 1BR with the book/rebook deal and get the free upgrade if one is available through my contact.

There is a link at the top for "Marketplace". I think it cost $15 for a year and you get something like 25 ads. That is how I met several. Even posting in the forums helps you get in contact with some. I paid the $15 for the year and got our 1BR for $560 for 7-nights. That is more than 50% off the cheapest Value studio room. We are going to do another 1BR with the book/rebook deal and get the free upgrade if one is available through my contact.

Those are truly amazing prices compared to onsite prices! If I can ask yet another question, how do you know if the point owner is reliable? I know you mentioned something about being able to compare how good the owners are, but do they each have rating/review as EBay sellers do?

No they do not. However, if there is a "bad" owner, people will definitely let you know. You can always search for their name. I would put a link to a recent post that is being kept at the top. Another timeshare owner put the guys Name, Address, Phone Number and other information to insure no one goes through them. You can always post there to get reviews from other people on the user. Yes, there is a slight risk, but nothing that large at all. Honestly, someone is not going to screw you over any way. If they are US based, you have actions you can take if you do get screwed. You can file a claim in small claims court locally. The person has to travel to be there for court. If they don't show, the judge rules in your favor against them.

But, that is not going to happen for the most part. Most owners you would go through have 100s of posts, plenty of reviews, and other members there that have used them.

I have done both off site and on-site and I wouldn't go back to off-site without a very compelling reason.

I have done both as a youngster too. I remember being 10 or so and feeling like it took *forever* to get to disney, and how leaving disney felt like the longest trip in history. To be up for rope-drop meant that we all (fam of 5) had to be up by like 6 am to get breakfast, get to the park, find parking etc.

But then again I do not particularly like driving in over-crowded parking so there's that. The disney transit, the value and beauty I personally experience from staying on site is really what lead us to purchase 200 points with the DVC. For us, there is no choice, we either stay on site or we dont go

I have done both off site and on-site and I wouldn't go back to off-site without a very compelling reason.

I have done both as a youngster too. I remember being 10 or so and feeling like it took *forever* to get to disney, and how leaving disney felt like the longest trip in history. To be up for rope-drop meant that we all (fam of 5) had to be up by like 6 am to get breakfast, get to the park, find parking etc.

But then again I do not particularly like driving in over-crowded parking so there's that. The disney transit, the value and beauty I personally experience from staying on site is really what lead us to purchase 200 points with the DVC. For us, there is no choice, we either stay on site or we dont go

These are valid points. Compelling to me is better accommodations for 50-75% off. Value is what someone places on their own disposable income and whether they are comfortable spending that much. For our family of 3, comparing accommodations apples-to-apples, I can save $3,353.91 on my trip. This is a 1BR unit at Saratoga Springs Resort June 17th - June 24th ($3,913.91) vs $560 for a 1BR at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. This is a real value comparison. You can go to Disney's website to check the price. If you compare it to renting from a DVC owner at $13 per point ($2,951), I save $2,591. The DVC owner route covers the cost of 3 Platinum Plus Annual Passes (well almost, I need to add another couple of bucks for them). This is tangible value to me.

I cannot speak for everyone. The longest commute is MK. It is about 10 minutes to get to the parking at TTC and another 15-20 minutes to get to the gate. 30 minutes in total. Epcot and DHS is less than 10 minutes. AK is slightly more than 10 minutes. I also cannot speak for everyone's financial situation. After all my bills, expenses, and everything we commonly do, it takes a year to save up $3,000 for vacations. Other people have $3,000 they use to change diapers. I am simply not in that financial crowd. I wish I had that luxury and if I did, I would still be as frugal as I am.

For the "resort experience" you definitely want a timeshare resort (WBC, Sheraton Vistana etc.) We've stayed at WBC 3 times and love it. It's been a bit pricy or booked lately when We've considered it on recent trips.

On our last trip (group of 5--3 adults, an infant and a baby) we rented a 4 bed pool home in Indian Creek (a subdivision with a bunch of vacation homes.) For us, the convenience of having all those beds and baths--plus the private pool--beat out the resort amenities of the timeshare. Most timeshares don't have a ton (or any) four bedroom units.

We have a timeshare at Marriott Grande Vista so we often stay there and really like it. The pools are great and there are activities like bonfires and outdoor movies - which we always plan to do but then skip in favor of more time in the parks :) . They also have golf and restaurants, and the accommodations are much nicer than something of the same price on property. The trade off is, of course, no Extra Magic Hours, no free dining plan, no free parking, and no 60 day advance fast pass option. However, we have a lot more room (plus laundry and kitchen in the unit) so the time we're not in the parks is much nicer. Either way, it's a pretty magical trip.

Can't say enough good things about Hilton Bonnet Creek. Depending on time of year the rates are not bad and you get such a lovely resort experience! My kids wished I had built in more resort days when we stayed there - as a family of 6 we booked two connecting rooms, loved the space, sign up to be Hilton honors members and you get continetal breakfast.
Love it there and so close to parks and awesome free "shuttle" to parks - actual motor coach with comfortable seats!

I'll also say Wyndham Bonnett Creek sounds like it's perfect. It's technically not on Disney property but you'd never know it. You don't really leave the bubble when you're staying there as opposed to many of the other off site options. And for a group your size you're talking thousands saved which you can use to add more magic somewhere else. I've used 3 different vendors all mentioned frequently here (including VS which I've probably used more than the other two) and have had no problem with any of them (which I've used has usually just come down to availability for my dates). The ONLY drawback is the transportation and if you'll have a car that's not an issue. (And those few times we split up expectedly we called uber for a party which was cheap and easy (and almost always faster than a Disney bus to a resort!).

The resort itself and the rooms are also very nice and with 5 kids you'll appreciate the laundry and the room! With 5 kids, while you could get a 2BR, you might appreciate the 3BR more which would make it much easier to use the living room as opposed to having it double as a bedroom. Will be a couple hundred more than a 2BR most likely but with how much you're saving over Disney rates, it will still feel cheap.

I would dispute that Disney transport saves time. I've found (with the singular exception of the bus TO MK) that driving is often quicker (and if you're dealing with strollers and lots of kids I find much easier). The wait for buses at the end of the evening can be horrendous particularly with little kids. With a car, you know exactly how you're getting home and don't have to stand in any lines. And as for compelling reason - for nine days I'd guess we're talking about 2000 reasons . . . .

I am 100% sold on staying at WBC for our next trip and sooo excited about trying it out. There really seems to be no comparison when looking at the value of cost and space compared to staying onsite. A couple of other questions:
1. How far out do you typically book? I am still debating between November/December 2017 or June 2018.
2. Do children under three not count against occupancy as is the case when staying onsite?
3. For those who have stayed in both the deluxe and the presidential suites, is the extra cost of the presidential worth it? I realize this is a very subjective question, but I'd like to hear your experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter