Contemporary boat to EPCOT monorail

jsanders82

Mouseketeer
Just thinking of other options instead of using the buses. How difficult and time consuming is it to take the FW boat to Contemporary, monorail to TTC and then hop on the monorail to EPCOT?

My kids loved riding the monorail in to MK on our last trip. Just thinking of different fun transportation ways.

I would say if you hit everything perfect with no waiting or snafus it would be 45 minutes. So to plan for waiting and snafus could be as long as 90 minutes. As long as you are ok to take the risk of sometime between 45 to 90 minutes, it’s good. Again can be enjoyable if you are ok with the timing.

Do you know how early the monorails start? I saw on this forum that the boat to contemporary starts at 6:30 / 6:45

Do you know how early the monorails start? I saw on this forum that the boat to contemporary starts at 6:30 / 6:45

You can find the weekly monorail hours published in the Times Guide each week that you can pick up on property, or here’s a handy link: http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/p/weekly-walt-disney-world-times-guides.html

If your trip is close, here’s some Epcot monorail operation news that just came out today, FYI:

There’s 2 boats that do the wilderness lodge / contemporary / fort wilderness loop running in clockwise and counterclockwise directions. In the morning with full boats it’ll be a Little slower. 30-45 minutes of things go smoothly. The monorail switch over is the first monorail stop, but walking from the dock to getting on the monorail is a good 10+ mins minimum

We usually do this when returning from Epcot in the evening. This way we are not in a hurry. The boats run earlier than the monorail system does, as MK is usually open before Epcot. Of course if you just miss the monorail, it has to do the full loop before returning to Contemporary so you can get on to go to TTC. That means now it is going to stop at The Poly, GF and MK before getting back to you, adding to your wait time.

The boat/monorail is our standard going to EPCOT. We always plan on an hour to get anywhere. Sometimes it is 45 minutes and a bonus. Sometimes 1:15.

Oddly, we usually stand for the buses when leaving. We did start taking the Contemporary or WL buses back from resorts though. It seems the Deluxe resorts have buses come a lot more often than the lowly Fort. (And their stops are much closer to the park gates than the Fort stops)

j

The boat/monorail is our standard going to EPCOT. We always plan on an hour to get anywhere. Sometimes it is 45 minutes and a bonus. Sometimes 1:15.

Oddly, we usually stand for the buses when leaving. We did start taking the Contemporary or WL buses back from resorts though. It seems the Deluxe resorts have buses come a lot more often than the lowly Fort. (And their stops are much closer to the park gates than the Fort stops)

j

I have noticed this too about the buses. However, my theory is the campers are more likely have a mode of transport available to them at any given time. As you know the Fort has an internal busing network to bring you to the front of the resort for external transport. At Deluxe resorts chances are your more limited in transportation since another mode of transportation brought you to wdw. Example, fly in and staying at WL, Disney ME took you from the MCO to your hotel. I noticed more busing at WL, AKL, and Beach Club when we down there for shorter visits. Hence there is more of a need for buses at the other resorts than the Fort. The folks at the mouse probably see differences in rider volume from the Fort and adjust accordingly.

IMHO, after dealing with buses, they are the way to go for Disney Transport unless it's a boat from the Fort. That a nice ride when the water is not so choppy. The monorail is old and always seems to break down. It broke down several times the last couple of visits when we were there. To start a real conspiracy theory, the real reason to increase Disney pricing is because folks really want to ride the monorail. Bahahahaahahaahaha I guess you will not be seeing me anymore since a couple of dwarfs just showed up in a mine cart with what appears an angry looking woman. Hi ho Hi ho off to the utilidor I go.

Our experience as of the first week in December 2019. If expediting your transportation time to any park other than MK is your goal your CAR is the only way to go. 10-15 minutes driving vs 30 minutes to over an hour just waiting to board a bus then add in the transportation time. The buses to/from the Fort have become extremely unreliable. Then if you use the boat/monorail method to Epcot once again build in wait and transportation times and lately hopefully the monorail is running. Disney transportation use to be our method of choice, quaint, enjoyable, and fun, not anymore-too much wasted time. Just ask yourself this question, did you buy a very expensive ticket to spend your time waiting for/riding buses and boats or did you buy a ticket to a theme park? Keep it simple, quick, easy and maximize park time - drive! Have fun and enjoy!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter