Contemporary or grand Floridian

We have stayed at all 3 of the monorail resorts. Highest rating for us goes to PR, the GF then CR. Theme and location rate high. GF is the flagship and its dining options support its position within Disney. We enjoyed GF and the walkway between PR and GF is nice. Water yacht and monorail to get to MK was always easy. GF is the quietier location of the three. Between GF and CR we would select GF, unless MK view CL Tower was in the mix.

so we're coming from England and are planning an 8 night stay. We have been many times before but never stayed on a monorail resort. It's between these two as we've seen some fairly good prices and really want something new. Is there much separating them? Is it easy to get to magic kingdom from the grand Floridian in the morning? Any advice on where to stay?

Thanks!

As to getting to (and returning from) MK to either resort:

1. GF: One monorail stop away going TO the MK. But coming back in the evening you will be on the fourth stop. But there is also water taxi transport both ways.

2. CR: Four stops away going TO MK. But coming back, it's only one stop away. And you have the choice of skipping the monorail and taking a delightful (and quick) stroll walking either way. (And the walk in the evening (dark) gives a wonderful view of the CR and walking under the monorail beam as you approach the resort is breathtaking.) Also, if you choose to walk from the CR to the MK, you have your own little security checkpoint along the sidewalk, allowing you to completely avoid the sometimes lengthy security checks entering the MK. There is no walking option at the GF.

I will also offer that the view from the CR is awesome on either side of the tower. If you have a theme park view room you get a SPECTACULAR view of the MK fireworks at night (and the sound-track is piped into your room!). If you have the Bay Lake view it's pretty in its own right.

We FAR prefer the architecture of the CR, but I am sure the GF fans feel as strongly about it.

The mosiac in the Grand Canyon (atrium) is fascinating (including the five-legged goat!). And enjoying dinner at Contempo Cafe or in Chef Mickey's and watching the monorail glide overhead moves me to tears, but that's just me.

CR for me. Every time!

(Oh, and I just remembered my avatar shot on DISBOARDS (of Space Mountain) was shot from our room one night.)

Last edited:
We have only stayed at the CR, not the GF, but LOVED the CR. It’s simple elegance seems more appealing then the extravagant GF to me, but someday I still want to stay at the GF.
Why not try a split stay?

I'm beginning to think my mind is made up. £400 less and you're right, apart from the walk to the aspect I think the grand Floridian has more appeal.
We love GF! You won’t be sorry. I haven’t stayed at CR yet due to general lack of appeal for us.

The CR is far and away our favorite resort. GF has zero appeal to me. The CR is super high energy (inside the atrium) and super zen outside. Seriously, I could wander the grounds all tranquil and lovely all day. Great amenities. Great pool. Great service. And you cannot beat that easy walk to MK.

GF is just too stuffy.
Glad you like the CR. Not sure where the ZEN is but you can't beat the short walk to the MK.

Glad you like the CR. Not sure where the ZEN is but you can't beat the short walk to the MK.

At the CR, walking the grounds of the resort, it is downright peaceful out behind the resort. BLT has a very zen vibe to it, much like a spa. We had a ground level room at BLT that faced the inner courtyard and I could've sat out on that patio for hours just relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter