Contemporary Resort Bathrooms For people with Disabilities?

Epcotgal8

DIS Veteran
Can someone please help me that is familiar with Contemporary bathrooms for people with disabilities? In the non-handicapped rooms I read they have showers and built in seats. Are they tub style or walk ins? Have friend with prosthetic leg and he can walk with it some with it. I was told by Disney that if he could walk some then he didn't need a handicapped accessible room since he can drive his ECV in the room just fine.

Are small plastic stools available, perhaps at the pool area where one might be taken up to your room to use in any kind of bathtub or shower?

Walk in showers are meant for persons who cannot get out of a wheelchair (and they would need a waterproof chair to make use of that shower). Your friend could (?) sit on the rim of an ordinary tub and swing his legs over.

Are small plastic stools available, perhaps at the pool area where one might be taken up to your room to use in any kind of bathtub or shower?

Walk in showers are meant for persons who cannot get out of a wheelchair (and they would need a waterproof chair to make use of that shower). Your friend could (?) sit on the rim of an ordinary tub and swing his legs over.

I've never seen stools by the pool, and I'm guessing if they were at the pool, they need to stay at the pool? I mean, what if everyone took the stuff from the pool area to their rooms?

"https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/0c/11/01/bathroom-in-our-room.jpg"/></a><br/>This photo of Disney's Contemporary Resort is courtesy of TripAdvisor

The above looks like it's a tub/shower combo.

ETA:
IMG_8698.JPG

You can ask for a shower chair to use in a bath tub. I need something to hold on to if I am in a bath tub, and if there is not a handle, I call housekeeping and get a chair.

...Walk in showers are meant for persons who cannot get out of a wheelchair (and they would need a waterproof chair to make use of that shower). Your friend could (?) sit on the rim of an ordinary tub and swing his legs over.

Wrong.

Walk-in showers are meant for ANYONE who has a legitimate need for it. No one decides that but the individual, and possibly Disney (or the hotel renting the room).

There are many individuals who cannot safely use a tub - for many different reasons, which could include but are not limited to: sloped floor can cause slips/falls, they cannot lift their leg(s) over the edge, they cannot transfer (with or without assistance) etc.

BAD Advice. Please don’t advocate using devices for other than their intended purpose. That is dangerous

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter