Continued disappointments

Celticgemini

Earning My Ears
We currently have an April 2020 reservation. I'm honestly debating if it would just be better to cancel and book an Universal vacation. Only snafu, I promised my 6 yr old we go as soon as Star Wars was done. The money grabs disgust me. Pay to park, fuel rod swap charges, alot of Epcot under construction, smashed pennies going to $1.01, photos taken by a box, exorbitant ticket price jumps, etc.

The fuel rod swap price has been halted, as far as I know.
Epcot is a mess, but mostly at the entrance to the park.

I don't know of anyone who is happy with the added costs, but only you can decide if you find enough in the parks for a trip to be still worth it. I try to look at it as they have to pay for Star Wars land and the Tron ride somehow.

But are there things you can cut to save some money? Do you have to have a car, or can you rely on Disney transportation? Have you looked at sites like Undercover Tourist or Maple Leaf Tickets to save a little money on passes? Are there any resort discounts you can take advantage of?

You knew the price of tickets when you....booked...your trip....
The smash pennies are going up by just 50 cents....
It's not required for guests to use a fuel rod....
You've had to pay to park at WDW for YEARS....

And you're thinking of cancelling your entire trip?

It costs $25 to park at Universal Studios, which is, the same price as WDW.
It costs money to swap out your fuel rods at Universal Studios as well.

Have fun!

If your kid really wants to do Disney, maybe there's a way you could do both. Maybe just do a day at Disney where you just visit Star Wars and do the rest of your time at Universal. In either case I recommend staying onsite at Universal. Bigger bang for your buck with the hotel rooms there.

You knew the price of tickets when you....booked...your trip....
The smash pennies are going up by just 50 cents....
It's not required for guests to use a fuel rod....
You've had to pay to park at WDW for YEARS....

And you're thinking of cancelling your entire trip?

It costs $25 to park at Universal Studios, which is, the same price as WDW.
It costs money to swap out your fuel rods at Universal Studios as well.

Have fun!

They probably mean overnight parking at the resorts, which is even higher at Universal anyway.

We will have had 4 trips this year for 20 total resort nights (after Dec trip coming up). And I agree with OP. Aside from the costs rising they are also cutting things. There is less EMH. They change all our fave things to things we don't like (ie: AP to character meal, Maelstrom to Frozen, gondolas flooding guests to our beloved- once ghost town- back IG). I find they aren't cleaning as well as in past and customer service is lacking at time compared to the past. Dining cost has gone up and service down. IT issues abound...have trouble making FP (get error messages), using MB on room door (have to go to desk to fix), using MB to pay at F&W (have to go back to desk to get that fixed), sometimes lose ADRs or tickets from MDE and have to call to get fixed. Have to pre plan everything...we book DVC 11 months out and ADRs 6 months out and ride FPs 2 months out. That gets old. And then the crowds....always the crowds...no slow time anymore.

So we have ZERO trips planned to WDW next year. Using our DVC points at HHI instead and taking a HAL cruise.

Last edited:

We currently have an April 2020 reservation. I'm honestly debating if it would just be better to cancel and book an Universal vacation. Only snafu, I promised my 6 yr old we go as soon as Star Wars was done. The money grabs disgust me. Pay to park, fuel rod swap charges, alot of Epcot under construction, smashed pennies going to $1.01, photos taken by a box, exorbitant ticket price jumps, etc.

Just a consideration, have you thought about going to Disneyland instead? That way you get to keep your Star Wars promise, you get new parks to explore, and parks that I find to be more manageable without a lot of the nonsense that has overtaken WDW in recent years.

Personally don't feel universal is any better. Looking at 1 night and 2 days coming up and it's over $1k.

Only you know what is your preferred vacation though.

Its not Disney's responsibility to ensure that you find value in their product. They offer a product. There are enough consumers that do find value in the product that they receive the necessary return on their investment. If you don't find value in their product, don't go. There are many, many other tourist destinations in the world. There is a whole world to explore. If you don't find value at WDW, try something new.

Personally don't feel universal is any better. Looking at 1 night and 2 days coming up and it's over $1k.

Only you know what is your preferred vacation though.

The OP created an account on the DISboards yesterday (that's not a lie, the date is right under the name) to post to us about how he/she doesn't want to go to WDW because of all the "changes" and how different Universal is, which when you break down the list, isn't really that different at all for the points that's he/she's trying to determine his/her vacation on.

Basing your vacation on whether or not you need to get a second fuel rod or if the smashed pennies went up 50 cents....I mean....yikes.

I don't like some of the changes either. None of the new fireworks shows live up let alone surpass their replacements. The front of Epcot is a disaster, and I will really miss the fountain. But I still love enough that is still there to go.

I think the OP needs to decide if what is still there has value to them. It is easy enough to focus on the negative. But smashed pennies aside, is there still enough that the OP loves that would make a trip worthwhile?

Promising your child something and then backing out, that is a whole 'nother subject.

What are your real issues op? Because fuel rods and pennies can't be it. Maybe it was the tipping point but what put you so close to the edge ?

The OP created an account on the DISboards yesterday (that's not a lie, the date is right under the name) to post to us about how he/she doesn't want to go to WDW because of all the "changes" and how different Universal is, which when you break down the list, isn't really that different at all for the points that's he/she's trying to determine his/her vacation on.

Basing your vacation on whether or not you need to get a second fuel rod or if the smashed pennies went up 50 cents....I mean....yikes.
Probably posting under an assumed name knowing the sort of backlash they would get from some here.

Wallyworld and it's execs and stockholders are still raking it in. Why on earth would they NOT raise prices? Didn't Iger give himself 65.6 million last year?

You are kidding yourself if you think your disdain of their price increases matters. Have you seen the park crowds? Business is boomin! It's like Vegas, without having to pay any winnings!!

Some of the things will be the same as Universal as they are at Disney (fuel rod, parking at onsite hotels or parking at the parking garages for the parks). That said if SWGE is really the only thing you're looking for at WDW you could always do a day there and the rest at Universal to try it out especially if you've not been to Universal before. A caveat to Universal is to check the height restrictions and your height of your 6year old (granted there's still 5 months of growing that can be had). In respects to ticket pricing just know that yes it will be quite pricey to do a day or so at Disney (like it will be at Universal). 1 days are rarely inexpensive in relativeness at any amusement or theme park.

Construction is always a bummer in all honesty.

Probably posting under an assumed name knowing the sort of backlash they would get from some here.

What backlash am I giving? The person posted on a message board, debating whether or not to cancel their vacation over the said items above, why wouldn't I be allowed to voice an opinion, on an opinionated message board. I really don't understand how people can get so worked up these days. I didn't give him/her any backlash.

Meanwhile, back in reality town, the OP hasn't responded to his/her own thread days after creating an account and starting it.

Carry on...

Disney is just practicing basic economics as any good company should. Price is where supply meets demand. Its understandable and normal not to like it. I definitely feel the same at times. But a companies desire to maximize profit is in many ways a good thing (usually - not always) as its part of what pushes Disney to be excellent.

One thing that helps me (being a Disney geek) is being both a DVC member and a stock holders. I bought shares for my kids as well (just a few shares in their name). It helps thinking money spent is coming back to me a little bit in dividends and stock growth. I understand not everyone can or wants to do this... but I find myself feeling better about costs knowing I am a stock holder FWIW. Take it or leave it but I think it helps this penny pincher (much different than a penny presser) be a little more relaxed paying $8 for a churro.

I find Universal to be far more guilty of price gouging...and theirs is an inferior product. Cancel if you feel the need, but universal is not a more favourable substitute. I feel truly ripped off there.

Disney makes more money when they raise prices - that's true, but that's not the whole reason they do it. They also do it to control crowds. The OP is a good example. This is far more true at DL than WDW. We plain stopped going to DL unless it is a random weekday (very rare when we can get away to do that) or a day where they have raised prices and blacked out all but the top AP's. Those days are tolerable - pleasant in fact. Definitely worth the extra $ IMHO. To cut costs we don't go as much. We are probably, no, check that, DEFINITELY spending less than we used to, so no, Disney did not make more money raising prices - using my family as an example anyway...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter