Continued problems with the engines on the Fantasy

matthew517

Mouseketeer
Just got off the May 5th Fantasy Eastern Caribbean cruise and it had engine issues. A loud back and violent shaking was felt throughout the ship. Then on Thursday night a fire alarm sounded for the engine room. A pressure line burst releasing oil on to the engine causing smoke.

Also a outbreak of what seems to be noro virus broke out a bunch of people got sick and still are getting sick after debarking.

Just got off the May 5th Fantasy Eastern Caribbean cruise and it had engine issues. A loud back and violent shaking was felt throughout the ship. Then on Thursday night a fire alarm sounded for the engine room. A pressure line burst releasing oil on to the engine causing smoke.

Also a outbreak of what seems to be noro virus broke out a bunch of people got sick and still are getting sick after debarking.
Bummer. Thanks for the heads-up.

Was there any announcement on the actual issue?
For the fire alarm and engine yes. For the norovirus there was no formal announcement but they stopped all manual service everything was done by the crew. Our Facebook group was 465 families and the illness was communicated through all of our group and several members are still getting sick after leaving the ship.

For the fire alarm and engine yes. For the norovirus there was no formal announcement but they stopped all manual service everything was done by the crew. Our Facebook group was 465 families and the illness was communicated through all of our group and several members are still getting sick after leaving the ship.
Thank you, I was wondering if the Captain or crew made any official announcement.
Sorry it had an affect on your vacation.

We have an aft room on the Fantasy in August - now I’m worried!
No worries any issue is typically resolved quickly often on turnaround day.

But being honest we found the Fantasy aft have a vibration issue in and out of port anyway.

I wouldn't be worried. They will have it all worked out on time. The virus is from people who came on ship and dont wash their hands. The new wash stations are a huge waste of money. No one really washed their hands enough to prevent it. The wipes came back out.

This was beyond that normal vibration. You could feel it in the front as well.
Yes, understood already, I said.

No worries this type of issue is typically resolved on turnaround day, then referred to the ongoing aft vibration.

We were aft Fantasy last summer. Never again. The entire room shook but you didn't really notice it until you were lying in bed trying to sleep (weird, but true). I am not a sensitive sleeper and it was truly awful. I would try to change cabins.
We picked aft that time to be closer to kids club. I read about the aft vibration on the Fantasy on these boards but did not take it seriously/thought people were exaggerating. I also thought any issues would be fixed last dry dock. Not.

Last edited:
I was on the same cruise but didn't experience any vibration or engine problems. We did get the Red Parties warning in the middle of the night because of smoke in the engine room but nothing affected the speed or our cruise as I have experienced before.

Also I didn't know a single person who got sick and neither did my daughter. I heard second hand that all the people who got sick were in Royal Court second seating the second night. We had the extra safety measures for the rest of the cruise unfortunately.

We were aft Fantasy last summer. Never again. The entire room shook but you didn't really notice it until you were lying in bed trying to sleep (weird, but true). I am not a sensitive sleeper and it was truly awful. I would try to change cabins.
We picked aft that time to be closer to kids club. I read about the aft vibration on the Fantasy on these boards but did not take it seriously/thought people were exaggerating. I also thought any issues would be fixed last dry dock. Not.

Same here in August!! #5688 - the aft-facing room from H*LL!! Never again AFT on DCL. Not only was the vibration unbelievable but we had a horrible sewer smell from our bathroom that they were not able to fix for the duration of the cruise.

Last edited:
We were on the Fantasy April 28-May 5 and I'm hearing a lot of the cruisers were sick as well as they were leaving. It may have started with my group.

Hi Matthew! We were also on the cruise and speak to this in my trip report. We were in aft and I noticed the vibrations but I personally didn't think it was limiting in terms of negatively impacting my experience as I only notice vibrations when we pulled in and out of port. However there was a problem that was different and immediately I thought of the Fantasy's bad history with her engines, I even remakred to my husband the next morning that I wondered if we would be affected by the engine trouble and we were but it wasn't a big deal in my opinion. Overall, excellent trip! And yes we got sick too, only at the end though.

I heard that the crew was sick too, so it could have easily been a crew member who brought the virus onto the ship as well.

the chatter we heard on the ship and in the cruise group was that it started with a family that occupied multiple staterooms on deck 10 and then it spread.... some reported seeing hazmat crew on deck 10 cleaning up.... if it started before our cruise in a deck 10 stateroom then I feel really sorry for the family who got it and spread it because of the familial connections and not really through own fault of their own.... most people assumed that someone in the family had it, brought it on and then spread it because of the family connection

If people didn't report being sick while on board or didn't get sick until after they disembarked then DCL wouldn't have to report it. I think they'd have to report if about 120 people (3%) were sick?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!