Continued problems with the engines on the Fantasy

You all have me really worried big time. I just booked the Fantasy for June 2019 and will be in stateroom 8610 (04A). This will be our first cruise. Now I'm second guessing myself. :(
I think you are more midship than aft, so you probably won't get the worst of it. You could also try to move more forward. DCL does not charge to change cabins.

You all have me really worried big time. I just booked the Fantasy for June 2019 and will be in stateroom 8610 (04A). This will be our first cruise. Now I'm second guessing myself. :(
We were in 10612 (starboard side, mid/aft under the entrance to Cabanas), that's where we had the worst vibration issues.

Next cruise we were in 9098 (port, midship), much less vibration, but you could certainly feel it. Now, I will concede that I may have been more sensitive to it at that point since it was the second leg of B2B cruises and I'd just spent the first week in a room with really bad vibration.

Last Fantasy cruise we were in 9600 (starboard, midship) again, only mild vibrations, but still there.

Right offhand, I'd say that room 8610 will be OK. You may feel some vibration or not.

We were 8632 and I didn't notice anything horrible on our sailing. My washing machine's spin cycle shakes the house far more than the Fantasy shook. Your sailing may be different, but being on a moving vessel, we just kind of expected some shaking or movement. (haven't sailed any other ship). The ship is extremely stable. I've likened it to being on an airplane, but it's actually more stable than that.

I just got off the Fantasy and yes, there was a power outage. Royal Court, Enchanted Garden and mid-ship staterooms were affected. Other areas as well may have been affected but that is all I heard from other guests. The hallways in those areas were also pretty warm. We were in Animator’s that evening so we were not affected but heard the stores of folks having to eat in a very crowded Cabanas in their Formal Wear. I heard from quite a few people it was indeed mayhem and not a lot of happy people but heard the crew members were doing the best they could.

We also had some issue with the Buena Vista Theater not working during our cruise. Not sure what the issue was but they were showing limited movies in the Walt Disney Theater when it was not in use. That was a huge bummer for us since we had planned on watching movies after dinner or on sea days. Heard some chatter from guests about the projector being broken but that was just chatter and not confirmed. We never did get any info about the BVT not being in service. There was just a sign out in front of the theatre saying it was not in service.

We also heard about those who were sick the week prior. The first few days there was no self service at anything and the crew could be openly seen cleaning and washing everything down continuously. After about three days we could self serve at the buffets, ice cream stations, drink stations, etc.

This was my first time on the Fantasy but my 9th Disney Cruise. We had a great week despite the glitches but love the Dream more!

Neither of us has all the details. There were reports on FB of people that were sick after the cruise. I really don't know and neither do you. It is what it is. Happy Cruising!

I do know some of the 485 people in our Facebook group got sick after getting home.

I just got off the Fantasy and yes, there was a power outage. Royal Court, Enchanted Garden and mid-ship staterooms were affected. Other areas as well may have been affected but that is all I heard from other guests. The hallways in those areas were also pretty warm. We were in Animator’s that evening so we were not affected but heard the stores of folks having to eat in a very crowded Cabanas in their Formal Wear. I heard from quite a few people it was indeed mayhem and not a lot of happy people but heard the crew members were doing the best they could.

We also had some issue with the Buena Vista Theater not working during our cruise. Not sure what the issue was but they were showing limited movies in the Walt Disney Theater when it was not in use. That was a huge bummer for us since we had planned on watching movies after dinner or on sea days. Heard some chatter from guests about the projector being broken but that was just chatter and not confirmed. We never did get any info about the BVT not being in service. There was just a sign out in front of the theatre saying it was not in service.

We also heard about those who were sick the week prior. The first few days there was no self service at anything and the crew could be openly seen cleaning and washing everything down continuously. After about three days we could self serve at the buffets, ice cream stations, drink stations, etc.

This was my first time on the Fantasy but my 9th Disney Cruise. We had a great week despite the glitches but love the Dream more!

Was on the the 5-12 sailing. After the 2nd day, you could not serve yourself or get a drink by yourself.

Okay, this thread is making me feel a lot less thrilled about finding a very good FL resident rate for the Fantasy for September! :( I have sailed each of the other 3 DCL ships multiple times, but never the Fantasy, so we are/were really looking forward to it! :D

Pretty much the only times I have ever noticed serious vibration on the other 3 "girls" was when the side thrusters were on moving us into or out of place in dock. I actually usually prefer an aft stateroom, but this has me wondering. I booked a GTD Cat 5C rate, so I have NO idea where we might end up. Praying that for everyone sailing the Fantasy soon, that DCL gets all the kinks worked out! :)

Okay, this thread is making me feel a lot less thrilled about finding a very good FL resident rate for the Fantasy for September! :( I have sailed each of the other 3 DCL ships multiple times, but never the Fantasy, so we are/were really looking forward to it! :D

Pretty much the only times I have ever noticed serious vibration on the other 3 "girls" was when the side thrusters were on moving us into or out of place in dock. I actually usually prefer an aft stateroom, but this has me wondering. I booked a GTD Cat 5C rate, so I have NO idea where we might end up. Praying that for everyone sailing the Fantasy soon, that DCL gets all the kinks worked out! :)
Sadly, this "kink" has been with the Fantasy since she started cruising.

The vibration from the thrusters while porting isn't prolonged, although it's pretty intense for short bursts. And typically in the morning (sometimes EARLY morning!).

The vibration the Fantasy has happens during travel, when she's going 20+ knots. Usually between ports when she needs to make a long distance overnight. It's most pronounced in the aft, and fairly minimal by midship/forward. It's a constant, throbbing vibration. There's been some speculation that it may be a out of balance propeller, or some other part having to do with the propulsion system. But I don't know about that.

Okay, this thread is making me feel a lot less thrilled

Consider the thousands of people who cruise on the Fantasy every month and have a fantastic cruise, and have since she was launched. Then count the individual complaints here (a very small corner of the DCL population at large) and decide if the vast majority who are happy vs. the miniscule amount of people who take issue and then make the decision. Remember: People are more likely to complain than praise, with some complaining even more than others. It's the nature of human beings.

Only have sailed FWD on The Fantasy and never felt vibrations, but did sail AFT on The Wonder and the vibrations were absolutely terrible.

Consider the thousands of people who cruise on the Fantasy every month and have a fantastic cruise, and have since she was launched. Then count the individual complaints here (a very small corner of the DCL population at large) and decide if the vast majority who are happy vs. the miniscule amount of people who take issue and then make the decision. Remember: People are more likely to complain than praise, with some complaining even more than others. It's the nature of human beings.

I appreciate your comments and that is something I need to remember. This our second cruise and we have no intentions of changing our room. We booking on the first day we could to get a 5E verandah. I will post something when we get back in August.

Sadly, this "kink" has been with the Fantasy since she started cruising.

The vibration from the thrusters while porting isn't prolonged, although it's pretty intense for short bursts. And typically in the morning (sometimes EARLY morning!).

The vibration the Fantasy has happens during travel, when she's going 20+ knots. Usually between ports when she needs to make a long distance overnight. It's most pronounced in the aft, and fairly minimal by midship/forward. It's a constant, throbbing vibration. There's been some speculation that it may be a out of balance propeller, or some other part having to do with the propulsion system. But I don't know about that

Thanks for that input, PrincessShmoo! :))

:joker: Ain't it the truth?? Thanks for the perspective. I've just always loved, loved my sailings on the Magic and Wonder over the years, and to a slightly lesser degree, the Dream ( I think that's partly because the Dream does only 3 & 4 nights so the passenger "vibe" seems more frenetic to me), and have looked forward to finally getting to sail on the Fantasy. All my coworkers and friends have raved about her. :cutie:

I don't know, I've sailed on the Fantasy four times and the Dream four times and never considered the differences in vibration as a 'flaw'. If the Fantasy was vibrating more, which was never as noticeable as many others have described here, I attributed that to the higher speeds and rougher seas associated with its itineraries. The Fantasy has to cross long distances, the deep seas of the Eastern Caribbean, and the strong currents of the Florida Straits on a Western itinerary. Let's face it, the Dream just putts around off-shore Florida and the western Bahamas in generally calmer seas -- she never seems to be in a hurry.
If there truly was a problem with the Fantasy you'd think DCL would swap the ships' itineraries. As I began this musing, I don't know...

I'm sailing on the Fantasy in three weeks and only expect to experience good vibrations!

I sailed the Fantasy a few years ago and we were in an extended verandah (aft) cabin. It literally felt like a jackhammer. The CM at the service desk agreed the ship was vibrating more than normal and moved us to a mid-ship cabin during the middle of night. It was so much better! I would book mid-ship if you can and enjoy. The Fantasy is a nice ship! We booked a forward cabin this morning, so hopefully the vibrations won't be as bad.

For those of you who are concerned about the vibrations keep this in mind. All 4 of DCLs ships have vibrations at some point during most cruises. These are most noticeable under the following circumstances: When entering or exiting a port, the thrusters which sit sideways, will power on when docking, and those on the lower decks most of the time will hear, feel or both as they kick in and out to help turn the ship. These are usually short lived, for maybe 30 minutes total during docking. 2nd, All of DCLs ships will vibrate when running at or near full speed, under certain circumstances. Literally depends on which way the winds are blowing vs where the ship is in relation to the current etc. This usually lasts a few hours to maybe a day or so.

The Fantasy is the only ship to my knowledge, that has a continued vibration under all circumstances. This is compared to the old shaker beds. During her Inaugural, the first night out, sitting in Animators, I looked at my glass of water and it was rippling, similar to what the glass of water does in the movie Jurassic Park, when they are sitting in the stuck trucks near the t rex pen. This vibration can be exasperated by any given sea conditions or speed. Just my general observation but it seems to be attributed to something on the starboard side.

Something else to consider, someone sent me a article, about the bearings DCL uses for its ships. Its possible that because everything is still technically with in specs, and annoying yes, but not a safety hazard, DCL may not be worried about it too much at the moment, or the other possibility, is that they thought it was 1 part, and in reality is another, which they weren't prepared for during dry dock.

Ash on the decks. All ships have incinerators onboard and will burn off certain items during a cruise. Usually on a sea day. Under the right conditions, its possible for ash to land on balconies or on the upper decks. Especially if the distance between ports is small say like the 90 miles between Cozumel and Grand Cayman, or the 60 or so miles between Nassau and CC where the ship may either sit still over night, or travel very slow with very little winds to dissipate the ash in her wake.

Sorry to play devils advocate. Most of my discomfort with this thread is that I was on this cruise and had a great time. There seem to be some people who are over dramatizing some events on the cruise. Maybe they experienced things differently but I think it is ok to give a balanced account.

So The original outbreak was on day 2-3. There is a 12 to 48 hour incubation period on average for norovirus. It seems like if there continued to be a large number of cases that lasted until after the cruise there must have been a lot of new cases during the cruise. I didn't personally know anyone who got sick. I didn't see a lot of people missing from the dining rooms. So unless there was a large number of people who weren't reporting their illness on board I have trouble believing an epidemic occurred. I'll shut up now. :)

A whole family of 3 in our party got sick and only 2 reported. They seemed to have traced it to people who ate at the Royal court on the 2nd night at first seating . That’s where we were at and we noticed a significant amount of people missing the next night at dinner.

For the fire alarm and engine yes. For the norovirus there was no formal announcement but they stopped all manual service everything was done by the crew. Our Facebook group was 465 families and the illness was communicated through all of our group and several members are still getting sick after leaving the ship.

Please, please tell people on your Facebook group to report this to DCL!!
It’s something with the Fantasy. The hand wash stations are NOT good.
We had so many people sick on our January Fantasy cruise, multiple people vomiting getting off the ship, and on the bus to WDW! We reported it, but not sure how many others did.
Also the crew was clearly sick in Cabanas on our cruise. I hope they do a full sanitizing, go back to mandatory hand wipes, and review these outbreaks with the crew. :(

Last edited:
I sailed the Fantasy a few years ago and we were in an extended verandah (aft) cabin. It literally felt like a jackhammer. The CM at the service desk agreed the ship was vibrating more than normal and moved us to a mid-ship cabin during the middle of night. It was so much better! I would book mid-ship if you can and enjoy. The Fantasy is a nice ship! We booked a forward cabin this morning, so hopefully the vibrations won't be as bad.

Do you remember which deck you were at and which one they moved you to? I wonder, if the deck made a difference?

We were on the Fantasy last week (May 19th disembark), our stateroom was mid-aft. You could definitely feel rhythmic engine vibrations but nothing out of the ordinary. In other words, it was tolerable and did not diminish the fun and excitement we had on the Fantasy. The Buena Vista Theater projector broke down sometime on Weds I think. They moved some of the movies to the WD Theater and skipped the rest of the movies, they said they were trying to fix it, but never got it fixed before the end of our cruise. The power also went out on our 2nd sea day, it affected an entire column across all decks and lasted from the afternoon through mid evening. We were at Disney Trivia when the sound system went out. I did not realize it affected all decks in that column until I went up to our stateroom on the 9th deck. Royal Court and Enchanted Garden had to eat in Cabana's but Animators Palate was unaffected. DCL also gave us a $100 onboard credit due to the power going out. It was totally unexpected and was a nice surprise that makes us love Disney even more and their attention to making sure we had a GREAT time.

We also did not know why the crew was serving all of the guests in the self serve areas, meaning the crew got the ice cream for us, they also got the soft drinks for us and at Palo Brunch, you pointed at the food and they would put it on your plate. Same thing at Cabana's, you point at the food, fruit, yogurt cup and then the crew would get it and put it on your plate. Then on Thursday or so, everything went back to self service. No more crew serving you, you could get everything yourself. After reading these previous posts, I now understand why.

Despite these set backs, we still had a wonderful time, and Disney service and entertainment are second to none.

I hope you have a GREAT Disney time on your trip!

Do you remember which deck you were at and which one they moved you to? I wonder, if the deck made a difference?
We were on Deck 5 aft (5664) and they moved us to mid-ship deck 6 or 7 (I can't remember?). Our cabin on Deck 5 had an extra large verandah and the cabin they moved us to was an extra large room with a small verandah. They let us keep both cabins. We slept in one and used the verandah in the other. We noticed a huge difference. I won't book an AFT cabin on the Fantasy again and I love the AFT cabins on the Wonder. The CMs said the vibrations were worse than normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!